PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question - node strength control?

starbase1
04-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi All,
I've not done a lot with nodes so far, I want to make a procedural normal, to add some detail to a cloud map.

So I took a turbulence node, and connected the bump output to the normal input of my surface. Great! The surface gos all wobbly!

But I cannot control the strength of the effect! I twiddled all the turbulence parameters and the picture in that node changes, but not the end surface. I tried connecting via a vector scale node, and set it to 1%, but still no change.

I tried a vector divide - well, at least that did something, but not the strength...

I have got to be missing something here - how do I tone down the strength of the procedural normal?

Argh!

PhantomPhish
04-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Bump output is a normal perturbation, not a true normal. Bump should go to Bump, Normal to Normal. You can convert a bump to a normal by subtracting the bump value from the smooth surface normal ( in the Spot Info node ) and Normalising it...

If you plug a bump output into a bump input, you can control the strength of the bump using the Bump Amplitude.

dpont
04-05-2008, 06:22 AM
You can also convert bump into normal in one step
with the (DP Kit) BumpToNormal node.

Denis.

starbase1
04-05-2008, 06:42 AM
You can convert a bump to a normal by subtracting the bump value from the smooth surface normal ( in the Spot Info node ) and Normalising it...

Sorry, I don't understand this at all!

starbase1
04-05-2008, 06:57 AM
You can also convert bump into normal in one step
with the (DP Kit) BumpToNormal node.

Denis.

Ah! Now that was REALLY quick and easy! Many thanks