PDA

View Full Version : Camera wiggle/shake in LW

m0184you
04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I see in some LW tut ... but i can't find it. Can i somehow change position of a camera (i suppose motion modifier) to accomplish wiggle/shake camera effect (in specific time interval) in LW.

Thanks in advance!!!

RudySchneider
04-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Here are all of William Vaughan's tutorials, which is a sticky just above:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

I'm not certain, but I think the one you want is "Introduction to Dynamics Effect and Record Motion:*"

gerardstrada
04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
There are several ways to do this. A motion modifier is probably the easier way (but it offers less control). You can use NoisyChannel (or NoisyChannel2), TextureChannel or even Jolt. There's a technique also to do this by hand in real time (more natural result - a la BSG).

Gerardo

SplineGod
04-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I agree. Its easy to manually key the effect as well as use any of several plugins including one called jolt which is made just for that. :)

m0184you
04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I was suppose that manually keying give best/desired results ...
Thanks also for other tips ... i will try it all and make best choice for my project.

PS: I love this forum ... you ask a question ... AND THEY GIVE YOU A STRAIGHT ANSWER!!!

THANKS AGAIN MY FRIENDS!!! :)

gerardstrada
04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Yep. If you go for the manual keying way, you need a rig and a special usage of LW tools in order to get the motion in real-time (which is the trick to provide that natural look).

If you animate the camera directly, you gonna need two animation passes (one for X motion, the other for Y motion). A camera rig is necessary to get both motions in a single real-time pass.

I haven't seen any tutorial about this way so far, so I gonna describe two ways here:

Rig Setup

The 'do-co' effect is characterized by random movements to side by side and up and down (besides the zoom). So the principle to our rig should simulate the cameraman's shoulder.

A simple rig would be like this:

1. Add a null object and name it cam_mov or something like that (this provides the X/Y motion, equivalent to cameraman's shoulder. Rotate it in this way:

H: 90?
P: 90?
B: 90?

(Parent the camera to this null)

2. Add other null, name it cam_rot or something like that (this null is the one that reestablish back the camera to its correct rotation. Rotate it in this way:

H: 0.0?
P: -90?
B: 90?

(Parent cam_mov to this null)

3. Add other null and name it master_cam. This one is to position the camera (or it might be other rig if, for example, the cameraman was over a crane)

(Parent cam_rot to this null)

Animation Procedure

Animating the Motion in Real Time:

The animation could be in his way:

1. Set up your first frame one or two seconds before the frame 0 (you can use Dope Track for this)

Note: Autokey must be enabled.

2. Select cam_mov and play the timeline in the preview controls. Almost inmediatly, you are able to begin to move the mouse - left mouse button (LMB). You can make undulant movements, slow or fast, and the sequence can have as many frames as you want since animation is made in realtime.

Note: For more fluid motions, you can enable fractional frames.

Though is possible you are ok with your first intent, if you don't like the animation or if you think you can do it better, or if you like this part but not the other one, you can 'store' this animation in motion mixer (clear channels), but don't activate it. Then, you can try more intents (store them) until you think it's ok. Later, you can mix the better segments of each intent, or slow down, or speed up the animation. (Though most of the times one may be happy with just an intent)

Once the motion is made, we can take charge of the camera zoom.

Camera Zoom in Real Time

1. Press Shif + 7
2. Play the animation (Preview Controls). Begin from one or two seconds before frame 0 as well. To adjust the zoom press the right mouse button (RMB). Now you can adjust the zoom in real time while anim is playing.

3. When you feel ok with this. Go to frame 0 and set a key frame for all items. You can delete all negative frames now (you can use Dope Track as well), And set up the frame 0 as the first frame of your sequence.

The other rig is even simpler. We need just one null :)
In this case we don't need cam_rot:

1. Just apply the rotation of cam_mov directly to the camera.
2. Add null that works like cam_rot and cam_master at the same time.
3. Apply quaternion booster to the camera.
4. Then before begin the animation process, switch to World Coordinates.

Just need to keep in mind to come back to your original coordinate system, and come back to World Coordinates again if you want to re-animate the camera motion.

quick test:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/shake.gif

Gerardo

m0184you
04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Very interesting method! Thanks Gerardo! I will try it.
Very nice.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

gerardstrada
04-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Hope it helps. Btw, I'm not able to edit my previous post, but if you go with the first method, settings for cam_rot should be in this way:

H: 0.0
P: -90
B: 0.0

Gerardo