PDA

View Full Version : render time object replacement

larkis
04-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Is there a tool that comes with lightwave that can do this ? I have a astroid with a lot of detail that needs to get displaced and diced up even further at render time, but the current mesh as is is pretty slow to work with, is there a way i can substitute it with a lower rez proxy and at render time lightwave would use the high rez object from disk ? Also would my displacement nodes still think they are being applied to the low rez after the object would get substituted ?

Hope that makes sense.

Exception
04-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Yes, the LOD (Level of Detail) Object replacement plugins do this. They're on object properties.

For deformation there is something similar, you use a low res object that then seamlessly transforms the high res object at render time. The plugin name escapes me but it's in the same section.

Surrealist.
04-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Is there a tool that comes with lightwave that can do this ? I have a astroid with a lot of detail that needs to get displaced and diced up even further at render time, but the current mesh as is is pretty slow to work with, is there a way i can substitute it with a lower rez proxy and at render time lightwave would use the high rez object from disk ? Also would my displacement nodes still think they are being applied to the low rez after the object would get substituted ?

Hope that makes sense.

If you are using displacement on subpatches, often you can just use the display and render settings in the geometry tab of the object properties. Otherwise what Exception said if you need to actually swap it out.

joelaff
05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Odd, Oliver... I frequently use a proxy, low res object... I make this the parent, and make the hi-res object the child. I set the hi res object to render (checkmark in scene editor), but to hidden from OpenGL. I set the low res object not to render, but turn it on in open GL.

I don't have many problems. Sure, the loading of the scene still takes time... If it is dealing with sub-D geometry constantly re-tesselating itself for render, or back to preview then try setting the render and open GL sub-D resolutions to the same value. Of course, keep the mesh hidden from OpenGL, and lock it so you do not click on it (which will display it).

Other people will make a separate copy of their objects (either a whole separate folder, or just those objects. Work with the low-res ones in Layout. Then when you want to render swap out the object files themselves in explorer(Finder on Mac). Of course this works best with net rendering so you never have to load the hi-res objects in Layout. If you are not net rendering you have to close your scene, swap the objects, then re-open your scene.