PDA

View Full Version : Trade show booth second attempt

Stephen0523
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi all. I am attaching the job I created in Photoshop, but would love to re-create in LW. I just purchased the newest LW9, but am to scared to tackle a project like this.
I would be willing to pay for help in recreating the job.

Please help.

Thanks.

Stephen Thompson.

tribbles
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I think this really depends on the level of skills you have in LW.

Most of what you have there is basically boxes and cylinders - and then wrapping textures around it.

I'd certainly start with the floor, then rear wall, front pedestal and then the poster on the right - without textures.

tribbles
04-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Another thing you need to worry about is the scale of it - you really need to know the sizes of every component you want to model.

Here's a very rough idea of what you want to achieve without actually measuring anything (I've assumed a 3x4m stand).

It's made from 4 boxes, and 2 cylinders.

If you can/can't get this far (and how difficult it is), then it'll give us an idea as to how easy it'll be for you to actually do what you want.

Stephen0523
04-04-2008, 03:55 AM
Another thing you need to worry about is the scale of it - you really need to know the sizes of every component you want to model.

Here's a very rough idea of what you want to achieve without actually measuring anything (I've assumed a 3x4m stand).

It's made from 4 boxes, and 2 cylinders.

If you can/can't get this far (and how difficult it is), then it'll give us an idea as to how easy it'll be for you to actually do what you want.

Thanks. I will try, but like I said I probably will need assisstance, but will give it my best shot. The width of the floor area will be double of what I have shown.

tribbles
04-04-2008, 08:43 AM
I would start with a drawing of the plan view of your stand - this would give you the dimensions which you need to create.

I've used some square paper to arrange the floor plan - although you'll be working in 3D, the floor arrangement is the most important, since things tend not to float in space on a stand :)

This will get you the rough position for the various bits and pieces on the stand.

As I mentioned earlier, start with the floor.

Create a new scene, and make sure the numerics window is displayed - this is very useful for creating objects like this. If the numerics window is not displayed, either press "n" (needs to be lower-case), or click on the numerics button at the bottom.

It might be an idea to start off with the "Top" view - or, if you have enough pixels, have the standard 3 flat views (Top, Right [or Left], Front [or Back], plus perspective).

Press "X" (needs to be a capital X) to create a box, and simply drag it anywhere on the plan view. The numerics field will update showing you how big it is.

Don't worry about making it perfect here - go to the numerics field, and enter the width and the depth for the size of the floor plan. In my case, the width is 3m, and the depth is 5m. Since your diagram has the floor slightly raised, put, say, a 50mm (2") value into the height.

This isn't centred yet - to do that, go to the centre values, and X needs to be 0, Y needs to be -25mm (so the floor actually goes below the bottom), and Z also needs to be zero.

If you want, you can also do this with the Range tab - the same box, using ranges, runs from (-2.5, -0.05, -1.5) to (2.5, 0, 1.5)m. See the second attachment (note I'm using Discovery mode, because I'm in the office and meant to be working :) ).

Click on Apply in the numerics - you should now have a 5x3 floor plan, which has a height of 50mm. Press "a" (lower-case - I'll label the keys you need to press with the right case). This will zoom the display to those bounds.

The next thing is the rear wall - I'd recommend doing this in another layer so it can be moved around easily (you can put it all on the same layer, but you then need to select the points/surfaces you want to move).

Layers are accessed by the numeric keys - so to bring up layer 1, press the "1" key. To bring up layer 2, press the "2" key. and so forth. When you bring up the layer, the other layer is hidden. If you look to the top right hand corner, the layer being shown is highlighted. You can also click on this to bring up the layer - and also bring up multiple layers at the same time.

Press X, and make the back wall - in my case, it's 3m wide, 2m tall and 0.5m deep. The centre needs to be -0.5m X, 1m Y and -1.25 Z - this puts it slightly to the left on the back. Apply this.

If you now select both layers, you will see the floor and the back wall.

The pedestal can be done similarly (I'd put this into the 3rd layer).

How did you find that?