PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion on technique

mattclary
04-03-2008, 11:39 AM
OK, after a long hiatus, I am actually going to try to create something with LightWave again. Life has just kept me too busy to use it like I want, but I plan to MAKE the time.

I am planning my first organic character, I want to model Spongebob Squarepants for my daughter.

Last night I did a little testing using a subpatch object with a texture displacement to create the "sponginess". I want to have holes and pits in his body like a sponge. I used the Crust procedural, seems like the best fit.

The one problem I saw was instead of creating holes, it actually seemed to poke the material in a given direction. So, he might have holes on front, but he would have mounds pushed out of his back.

I am looking for something that, for lack of a better description, let me boolean a procedural texture out of an object. I know I can use bump mapping to some degree, but I want the deformations to be nice and deep.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

BigHache
04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I think it would depend on how you want the final render to look.

For instance, if you wanted to do a cel-shaded render to basically look like the cartoon the modeling would be fairly simple.

If you wanted a more "real" look, maybe a la Pixar or something, you might be able to get away with a UV deformation map, maybe...

prospector
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM
name each side a different surface , then give it crust and all will be inward, just copy/paste the best setting to all named surfaces.
you can also use as a displacement and set depth as you like.

mattclary
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Good idea, I'll try that!