PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Question

GATOR
04-03-2008, 06:55 AM
This isn't a lightwave question, but I don't participate in any other computer-related forum, so I thought I'd toss this question out there.

It's time to upgrade my kid's laptops. Their current laptops are 800mhz iBooks, which are slowly falling apart. They'll be college bound in the next year, so we've held off replacing them.

I'm looking at the Mac Book and Macbook Pro. They're not interested in the Air. The laptops for for general school use, Microsoft Office mostly, with use of iLife for personal stuff.

But the Mac Book looks a lot (identical) to their old iBooks, which began falling apart once the extended warrantee ended. Things that died include the DVD, touch pad, WIFI, screen (if it's not JUST at the right angle). So now, five years later, they're pretty useless. Plus they're too slow. I don't want to buy the MacBook if the quality is the same. Anyone have any experience with the MacBook line? Thoughts?

I bought a Powerbook (17" 1.25ghz) at the same time and it's still doing fine after all these years, it's it's been worked pretty hard. So by comparison I'm finding the Powerbook is much more durable than the iBook. Would this same comparison still hold true 5 years later between the MacBook Pro and the MacBook?

And, on a side-note, I bought my previous macs through MacMall and bought their extended use plan for 2 years. During that time the only thing that failed, wasn't covered (the power supply). This time I think I'd buy from Apple and buy their AppleCare Protection Plan, which is 3 years. Does anyone have experience with this plan? They tell me if I have a problem, all I have to do is drop it off at the local store.

Any thoughts welcome.

GATOR

Steamthrower
04-03-2008, 08:35 AM
I've heard that the quality of the MacBooks aren't quite at the same level as the MBP. Yet I'd dare say that any Mac laptop has better quality than a comparable Dell or HP.

I have a MacBook Pro and it's been amazing. I would recommend it for the larger screen size alone (the little MacBook screen is just way too small to do a lot of anything on).

RollerJesus
04-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I have a MacBook and it even run Adobe CS3 pretty well, so I don't think it would be a problem running the day to day school apps.

When I was in school, I once typed a 10 page paper on my friends Ipaq with a folding keyboard in the car so I could go to an overnight session at Skatepark of Tampa... Point being, we make due with what we have at our disposal, I guess.

I'd go with the MacBook unless they need a Pro, or you want them to look cool when "working" on campus.

GATOR
04-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Not worried about the cool factor at all.

In fact, they could slap some bumper stickers on their computers to keep them from being too desirable. Don't need the 17" screen, as neither will be using it for generating art (we're looking at two pre-meds at the moment). Plus, I'd like to keep the weight down. I really like the Air for that, but both still like the built in DVD.

I'm just wondering if the change from "iBook" to "MacBook" was just a marketing/label change, or if the design of the laptop was upgraded (other than the motherboard stuff...which never gave me a problem).

Granted, when we got the iBooks, they were used hard. For a year at sea they were the kids game consoles, DVD players, stereo and homework stations, all in a humid environment with vast differences in operating temperatures.

paul summers
04-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Get a MacBook Pro if you can

brian.coates
04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
For a year at sea they were the kids game consoles, DVD players, stereo and homework stations, all in a humid environment with vast differences in operating temperatures.
Geez, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did after that. In fact I'm surprised they're still working now.

As for Applecare, it does exactly what it says on the box, extending the standard 12 month warranty to three years. Effectively this means that there's no charge for the labour component of any repairs (after the first year when even the labour is free) as long as you take it to a certified Apple store or reseller.

Since that's usually the biggest chunk of any repair bill Applecare is definitely worth the extra cost.

At least that's my understanding of it.

kilvano
04-04-2008, 06:19 PM
For the money..you can ger HP laptops of better spec for the money.

But if they are heading to college they get higher education discount which is 15% i think. Macbooks handles all every day tasks but get the black one cause the white ones dirty up pretty quick.

Mac Book Pro are more resilient simply because they aluminuim but can dent (i dropped mine the day after i bought it...almost cried). For the money...if they arent doing graphic intensive stuff like 3d then the macbook should be ok

Oh...and the air is good if you travel all day every day but not if its their main PC. 1 x USB sucks!