PDA

View Full Version : animated paintings

pilF
04-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Just watched a vid on the bbc site, 3d mona lisa waving etc. "A South Korean gallery has unveiled hi-tec versions of world famous paintings which move and talk " it says.

link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7320000/newsid_7326000/7326085.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&asb=1&news=1&ms3=54&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

JBT27
04-03-2008, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure what to make of that - faintly amused I suppose that someone should think to do that in the first place. Mona Lisa waving at the crowd from her frame might be better in a comedy sketch than an art gallery, but then as soon as you slap the 'Art' label on something, pretty much anything goes, so it seems.

I bought a card for a birthday the other week - a famous portrait of Henry VIII, but in this version listening to an iPod - there are several like this, well-known paintings with stuff added. I found them quite amusing.

So there you go - a set of greetings cards retailing for around ?1.80 each in W. H. Smith, or a major new exhibit at an art gallery with the world's press reporting it. In essence the cards and these animations are not dissimilar.

Julian.

pilF
04-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Recycled eye candy, entertainment refurbished. I think the original paintings, your postcards and the 3d versions are not that different. If Leonardo could have animated his Mona Lisa he would have too, er.. well i think he might. The koreans beat him to it.

Steamthrower
04-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Leonardo did animate Mona Lisa, only the media he recorded his animation on doesn't play on our modern equipment. It's lost forever.

rakker16mm
04-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Well I saw it first in a Harry Potter movie. At least in concept any way. So to me the concept is not that new. Personally I don't feel these animations hold up to the original works of art all that well. Maybe if they animated Pablo Picasso's Guernica (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/PicassoGuernica.jpg) it might be more interesting.