PDA

View Full Version : VT[4.6c] vs. VT[5] stability.

tmon
04-02-2008, 09:47 PM
VT[5] crashes WAAAAY more than 4.6c did on the same workstations we have. I'd say on the order of 28-32% more often.

This while performing regular operations when editing/navigating in VT-SE....not even when doing anything with CG Designer, or other apps.

It's just an observation at this point.

Also, I'm thinking of going back to .rtv instead of uncompressed .avi. Though working with .avi makes things more convenient and less redundant for moving back and forth with the FCP systems, it seems that our VT workstations perform better with RTV files (for one thing, I don't get the "conforming" wait).

Maybe there is some tweaking I can do. Any suggestions would be welcome.

ted
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Without specifics I can't guess, and probably wouldn't know anyways. :D
We started VT5 on a new system and haven't found it to be less stable for our use. We don't use CG since our GFX are done in PhotoShop on another workstation.

Even with the fact that we jumped to Vista 64 on this new system, we've been pretty stable. We do have VT crashes, but not regularly.
The biggest issue we've had was trying to render QT Sorrensen files. But just today I loaded QT Pro 7.4 and my QT renders went smooth, plus I got a bunch more QT render options that seem to be working fine.

ScorpioProd
04-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't know about the crashes, but the reason RTVs don't need to conform audio is because they actually use WAV files for their audio, so there's no need.

Snu
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
hmm, ive actually found vt5 a good deal more stable than 4.6, especially with lots of cgs (tho, vt5 has some annoying bugs with editing them).

what usually causes it to crash? any particular operation? does it only happen when using uncompressed avi codec?
maybe it has something to do with your specific hardware, vt doesnt like your gfx card or something... try updating your drivers, or if possible switching out a couple pieces of hardware for testing. any hardware you can temporarily remove?
i know we were having frequent crashes in vt4 because of a bad codec, maybe try installing an alternate codec pack...

tmon
04-03-2008, 02:51 AM
Glad to hear the good news from others. I'll have to make a project of figuring out what is going on then...e.g. start to document tasks prior to a crash, etc.

hairudon
04-03-2008, 06:35 AM
i agree with snu, VT5 has crashed a whole 5-6 times since a week after it launched. VT4.6 crashed about every 3 days for me

tmon
04-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I haven't come to a conclusion about why I'm getting so many freeze-ups on one of my workstations, but I am beginning to suspect it's a video card driver issue.

On the workstation in question, running driver 6.14.11.6265 on an NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500, I get a freeze up every single time when attempting a CTRL-SHIFT-Home/End selection in the timeline.

On my home system, using a different video card, a GeForce 7600, I am not having this problem.

Anyone else using a Quadro FX 1500?

SBowie
04-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I have to say that I've heard more than a few people who found systems with the Quadro (which was usually recommended to them by someone other than their dealer) are problematic.

tmon
04-18-2008, 01:39 AM
I've heard more than a few people who found systems with the Quadro...

I wonder why this would be/is the case?

Plus, I didn't seem to be having the troubles I'm having now when I was using the same video card with 4.6c.

I'll try an NVIDIA driver update and see if that helps.

SBowie
04-18-2008, 06:11 AM
I've no idea, but it seems to happen with fair frequency .. although not everyone with a quadro seems to have a problem.

Jim_C
04-18-2008, 06:29 AM
the Quadro (which was usually recommended to them by someone other than their dealer)

Unless the dealer is VideoGuys... ;) :)

John Perkins
04-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Many of the Quadros seem like hot this generation products but are really really old tech and not capable of some features that a $75 card can handle.

I'm not saying that a Q1500 fits this scenario, I just see this come up often and it turns out that the Quadro they have is equal to a GF4MX or something.

The other issue is that the Quadro drivers are on a WAY different track than the consumer cards. They are usually 6 months to a year behind the consumer line, if not more.

You can safely use the consumer drivers on a Quadro and it may help. Just select any recent card (7000 or 8000 series) when downloading them.

I'm skeptical about the video card being the issue though. 99% of the problems I see are resolved by either updating Nero Burning Rom and the buggy codecs that it installs, removal of InterVideo DVD codecs (copy protected to the point that they barely function) or by the removal of questionable third party codec packs.

tmon
04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for chiming in here, John. I'll try doing the things you mention.

tmon
04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Lo and behold, updating the Quadro 1500 driver fixed the CTRL-SHIFT-Home/End
crash.

edmellnik
03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
ANyone doing this? I would love to have both VT4.6 and VT5 on one computer.

I wonder if there are any conflicts?
ed

ted
03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Unless you set up a dual boot, I would not suggest doing that.
We made a dual boot with VT4 and VT5 with no problems. But I don't know of anyone who had luck having both on the same boot system. I think John Perkins suggested not doing that.

animlab
03-29-2009, 08:29 PM
A dual boot system suggested by Ted is perfect for the solutions if you know how to do it.
My R&D system have both vt[4.6] and VT[5.2] installed. They both work fine for me. Don't mix any file of them and they should be fine for you. The only issue is when you want to launch the other version of VT, you will be asked to auto-calibrate the switcher. Also, the SpeedEditVT(VT5.2) project file cannot be loaded by VTEdit(VT4.6).
The VT[5.2] board driver seems compatible to VT[4.6] since VT core did not have any update for a few years. If NewTek come out new core and driver, a dual boot system will be needed.