PDA

View Full Version : Flash Streaming + Tricaster

CLE
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Has anyone taken a stream from the Tricaster into a laptop running Adobe Flash Encoder? What card/adaptor do you recommend?

Please share what gear you use.

THANKS!

rally1
04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
A couple threads already running on this, might find your answer there.

Crom
04-04-2008, 07:58 AM
I use Multimedia Pros as a service provider
I use Hollywood DV bridge connected with Firewire.
The Streaming laptop or system must be checked as Adobe Flash Media encoder is picky.

One Desktop or laptop of even lower spec may actually work better then say a top of the line Mac laptop running XP.

Used an older Dell laptop with 3 framedropouts during a live 1:30 show.

hqv
04-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Just wondering what bit rates people are using. We will be performing a live stream this Thursday. Performed a widescreen 570+ bit rate test but found some DSL users droping frames on Windows Media and buffering lag with Flash at 400 video 128 audio (concert broadcast).

We will probably scale it down to 400 - 500 kbps to ensure maximum compatibility. Has anyone use a higher rate with good results?

TappedOut
04-09-2008, 03:11 AM
I would not recommend flash for the best quality! I am using the new Microsoft Silverlight and its great quality!

amospro
04-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Looks like a Flash Strean is a new feature in the TriCaster 2.0 - announced at NAB.

CreatvGnius
04-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I would not recommend flash for the best quality! I am using the new Microsoft Silverlight and its great quality!Tell us precisely, just how are you doing it? What are the particulars? Using only the TriCaster -- or are you using an additional PC or Mac, to effect the Microsoft SilverLight(tm) Stream?
-PeterG

hqv
04-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I would not recommend flash for the best quality! I am using the new Microsoft Silverlight and its great quality!

Have not looked at Silverlight - Any numbers on installed users? Flash has 95+% browser compatibility and is very compatibible with MAC users.

fejorca
04-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Yesterday Adobe released Adobe Flash Media Encoder 2.5 and comes with H.264 codec, right I'm using it in my channel www.tveo.tv and by far is better than 2.0 and more stable.

TappedOut
04-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Have not looked at Silverlight - Any numbers on installed users? Flash has 95+% browser compatibility and is very compatibible with MAC users.
Yes in deed more people have flash installed and that is a downside but it takes two secs to install silverlight and looks a lot better than Flash!

DiscreetFX
04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
TappedOut, did Microsoft pay you for that free product placement?

:)

TappedOut
04-17-2008, 02:56 AM
Not yet but they should! I think we were one of the first to start streaming live with Silverlight. We were in talks with them a lot trying to work around a few problems that we wanted fixed. One of the coolest things we did with silverlight was the ability to start the show LIVE while the people were on the page looking at a black screen. No need to refresh at all! We hit the button and the stream just starts up! Try getting flash to do that :) Not to mention we have nice on screen slide overs with links to chat rooms and other channels ect pretty cool stuff it is!

SBowie
04-17-2008, 06:01 AM
That sounds cool, will check it out. I think it would be a little premature to count Flash out, though. Looks to me like Adobe's AMP is poised to be the ten ton gorilla, and AIR makes it very flexible. Adding functionality is not going to be difficult.

gameguyag
04-18-2008, 01:50 AM
The problem is that Silverlight isn't being used by all the "social streaming sites" As mentioned elsewhere, you can stream 24-7 using Ustream, Justin.tv, Operator11, Mogulus, and Livevideo.com and they all use flash not silverlight. :(
I would be interested in trying silverlight but without a free outlet for the amount of streaming we do it's just not cost effective.

SBowie
04-18-2008, 05:46 AM
The biggest problem I noticed was that it specifically excludes support for H.264 in favor, it seems, of VC-1. I think that's a mistake.

ACross
04-28-2008, 07:52 PM

Video in SilverLight can look pretty good, but is infact a WMV file that has been VC-1 encoded. Unfortunately as best I can tell, there is no way to currently perform a live stream using SilverLight.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
While VC-1 is decent quality, (and while SilverLight apparently doesn't provde for live streaming)...

Q.1. Is it possible NewTek could make H.264 live streaming from the TriCaster series possible, using Flash encoder, or is H.264 too complex a codec to manage in a live context at this time?
Just for those interested, we are working on a cost effective custom flash solution for TC & VT Clients :) Stay tuned for the latest updates..

Streaming in flash provides some more flexibilities that WMS streaming :)
Sounds intriguing.

Q.2. Is the much-coveted H.264 going to be a live stream option through your solution, TBrocato?

Q1

rally1
05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I would think the TC 2.0 would include H.264 encoding as that is included with the latest Flash encoder. We have done some tests using H.264 Flash encoding live and it looks pretty good, much better than the old Flash encoding, but not that much better than WMV for high motion (Which is crazy if you think how old WME is).

BELLE1RaceComm
05-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Has anyone taken a stream from the Tricaster into a laptop running Adobe Flash Encoder? What card/adaptor do you recommend?

Please share what gear you use.

THANKS!

I used our new Tricaster Broadcast this past weekend, and performed a live stream using my Sony Camcorder and a MAC.

We sent the Composite out of the TCB into the Camcorder input (of course switching the source to input) then used the DVI out to Firwire in directly to the MAC. USTREAM.TV can detect the firewire input. This is our first time using the TCB and streaming live. We had 4k viewers. Not bad for a first time deal. it was last minute. Im sure there are other ways, but this was a "Jimmy Rig" app.

PIZAZZ
05-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I used our new Tricaster Broadcast this past weekend, and performed a live stream using my Sony Camcorder and a MAC.

We sent the Composite out of the TCB into the Camcorder input (of course switching the source to input) then used the DVI out to Firwire in directly to the MAC. USTREAM.TV can detect the firewire input. This is our first time using the TCB and streaming live. We had 4k viewers. Not bad for a first time deal. it was last minute. Im sure there are other ways, but this was a "Jimmy Rig" app.

Great to hear about your success Darryl. Keep up the good work. I am glad NewTek took care of you and your VT situation.

Shoot me an email when you have a moment to talk about the Cat5 solutions we have developed. sales at pizazzme dot com

BELLE1RaceComm
05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Great to hear about your success Darryl. Keep up the good work. I am glad NewTek took care of you and your VT situation.

Shoot me an email when you have a moment to talk about the Cat5 solutions we have developed. sales at pizazzme dot com

YES! It worked well. I was amazed at how easy it was to do on the fly On Screen Graphics.

Thanks to all the peeps at Newtek!!! TIM, CHUCK, JOHN P, We had a successful event in ATLANTA! There were about 15k in attendance and the TCB never shutdown:thumbsup:

Quiet1onTheSet
05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Great to hear about your success Darryl. Keep up the good work... Ditto! Congrats on Bob's having worked with you in getting that TriCaster BROADCAST system, Darryl; Great to hear of your success in streaming as well.

Q1

TappedOut
05-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Video in SilverLight can look pretty good, but is infact a WMV file that has been VC-1 encoded. Unfortunately as best I can tell, there is no way to currently perform a live stream using SilverLight.

Across, sorry to break it to you but we have been using silverlight since its launch to stream live. We do it every night and have even created a network with different channels that you can change on the spot while never needing to refresh. check out our player at www.lagtv.com we go live every night at 9 pm EST. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

PIZAZZ
05-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Across, sorry to break it to you but we have been using silverlight since its launch to stream live. We do it every night and have even created a network with different channels that you can change on the spot while never needing to refresh. check out our player at www.lagtv.com we go live every night at 9 pm EST. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Nice site TappedOut. It looks like you have put quite a few hours into it. The archived streams look really good until you full screen them. What size and bitrate are you streaming at? Just curious. Your player really rocks though. I love the functionality. Keep up the good work.

TappedOut
05-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Nice site TappedOut. It looks like you have put quite a few hours into it. The archived streams look really good until you full screen them. What size and bitrate are you streaming at? Just curious. Your player really rocks though. I love the functionality. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Piazz for the compliments, yes we have worked VERY hard on that site I am glad it shows. But we are just getting started ;)

As far as the archived shows in full screen, we use brightcove to host all our shows after they go live and they down convert them into flash, so thats where the quality loss is. We are looking into other options for archiving now but for now its free and it works ;)

mearsfan05
05-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks Piazz for the compliments, yes we have worked VERY hard on that site I am glad it shows. But we are just getting started ;)

As far as the archived shows in full screen, we use brightcove to host all our shows after they go live and they down convert them into flash, so thats where the quality loss is. We are looking into other options for archiving now but for now its free and it works ;)

tappedout have you looked into microsoft's own streaming platform? streaming.live.com...i believe they will host it as well..

billmi
05-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I've been very happy with Brightcove's service. I've been using it for PigTV.net for about a year and a half now. Video quality is good, it's 500KBps, flash 9 encoded, and they have a little encoding/upload utility that will batch process video. There's no length limit to it, and they split the revenues 50/50 on all ads placed against the content. They've got a number of player configuration options, and it's easy to customize. Pretty slick for something that's free. Or should I say better than free. The ad revenues aren't amazing, but it's nice to not pay $1K a month in video hosting like I used to back in the day, and to actually get a quarterly check instead that's big enough for two or three nights out on the town.

snbgreen
05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I work for a action sport website that streams many live surf, sk8, and snowboard events. WE uses flash and we've had great luck with the viewers. The live windows streams are nothing but problems for MAC users. And I would go as far to say that every professional surf, snowboard, and skater uses Mac's. GO211.com is a Action sports social network website , during our live streams we have a multi use flash player that delivers the scores live, allow people to comment live, lets the viewer click on the competitors bios, allow viewers to scroll through the current rankings all in the Flash video player.

The only time a person can see the function is during a live stream. FLASH was the best choice we made and I'm sike to see it built into the NEW Tricasters.

DOES anyone know what Tricaster uses to encode their FLASH stream???

I need the new H.264 codec. I watch a few LIVE Flash web-cast using the new H.264 encoder and the quality is very impressive.

Paul Lara
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
DOES anyone know what Tricaster uses to encode their FLASH stream???

It's using Adobe Flash Media Encoder 2

adebats
05-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Currently I webcast using a different PC but we are about to move across to FME 2.5

If I installed FME 2.5 on the tricaster, I was told by an expert today that the tricaster would use that FME version behind the scenes automatically and so here comes H264.

Can someone who has done this please confirm and save me a day trying to no available please ?

Quiet1onTheSet
05-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I've been very happy with Brightcove's service. I've been using it for PigTV.net for about a year and a half now. Video quality is good, it's 500KBps, flash 9 encoded, and they have a little encoding/upload utility that will batch process video. There's no length limit to it, and they split the revenues 50/50 on all ads placed against the content. They've got a number of player configuration options, and it's easy to customize. Pretty slick for something that's free. Or should I say better than free. The ad revenues aren't amazing, but it's nice to not pay $1K a month in video hosting like I used to back in the day, and to actually get a quarterly check instead that's big enough for two or three nights out on the town.Hi, Bill. In the past, many had been very much paranoid about using Real Player, due to their legendary habit of nearly taking over a user's machine, despite the desire to remove REAL or at least disable it, so one can use an alternate player.

Since PigTV uses REAL for streaming, exclusively, AFAIKS, I thought I'd ask, is this fear of REAL PLAYER on one's PC no longer valid? Thanks (anyone).

Q1

billmi
05-30-2008, 07:52 AM
I think the fear is hype more than anything but, as to the how and why we used Real as the delivery format of PigTV....

When we started webcasting PigTV in 1997 Real was hands down the highest quality delivery format at dial-up streaming rates.

A few years later, somewhere around 2003, if I remember correctly, we switched to Windows Media delivery, as the difference in quality was no longer significant, and Windows Media Player had a larger pre-installed user base by then, as well as the growing paranoia (largely undue, in my opinion) issues with Real Player.

In 2006, we switched to 500 Kbps Flash based video streaming via Brightcove Networks, shortly after our ISP owner died (1997 to 99 or so, PigTV was hosted on WARPIG.com, but bandwitdh used grew to high, 99 to 2003 it used a $1,000 a month server, 2004-2006 an ISP owner who was a fan of the show provided a server free of charge.) Brightcove's ad revenue sharing, combined with the very wide preinstalled cross-platform userbase of Flash made it a choice I have been very happy with.

We do not use Real exclusively. In fact the only thing we are streaming these days with Real are low bandwidth shows from the 1990s for which we don't have masters available to re-encode into 500Kbps Flash. All new shows we encode in Flash, and every now and again (like yesterday) I pull an archive tape, and encode that to flash to bring back an oldie but goodie, delivering it now in Flash at much higher quality than when it was originally shown in Real.

I do think the paranoia around Real is undue. Like several versions of Quicktime have, when it installs, it wants to set itself up as the default player for a lot of formats. And it will automatically check forupdates and update itself (leading to the claim by some that it could theoretically be used to load malware on your computer - but folks don't seem to complain that Photoshop does the same thing.) Either way though - considering the much larger user base of Flash and WMP, I can't imagine using Real for anything these days.

Solari
08-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Quiet, how do we find out about Brightcove's service where it's free if you let them advertise on it? I can't find that on their website anywhere.

Thanks!
Ray

billmi
09-22-2008, 06:48 AM
It takes a bit of hunting to find the sign-up. Use the search form on BrightCove.com to search for Network Account information. Brightcove Network Accounts are what they call the "free" (paid for by advertising placement) accounts.

The actual form to sign up with is here:
"http://www.brightcove.com/products/network-registration.cfm"

rick_sound
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
sorry for posting this again, but..
recently upgraded a new tricaster broadcast to v2.0 (the 09 2008 build) and have not been able to create a playable flash file (all "player" cpus have the latest version of flash player installed)
the first attempt was to simply "render to flash" from edit media- i had recorded a test show then created a timeline in edit media (made minor changes/edits of course) then selected "render" and the "web 300k flash" file encode- the resulting files will not play

thanks! all suggestions welcome
rs

rally1
09-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Currently I webcast using a different PC but we are about to move across to FME 2.5

If I installed FME 2.5 on the tricaster, I was told by an expert today that the tricaster would use that FME version behind the scenes automatically and so here comes H264.

Can someone who has done this please confirm and save me a day trying to no available please ?

Any luck?

I just unboxed our new TC Studio 2.0 and was somewhat shocked to see it is still using the "old" Flash encoder 2. I could have sworn while I was at NAB that Newtek was touting the "new" Flash encoder, but I guess not. Seems a little strange that they don't use the 2.5 that was released months ago.