PDA

View Full Version : About to purchase LW : OSX or Windows?

dOMINUS
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I'm on a Mac (2 x dual-core Intel Xeon, OS 10.4.11) and have to decide to buy LW Universal Binary or LW Windows.

I have searched the forums but only got more confused because I've also read stuff about PPC and frankly I do'nt know what that is and what to do?
Also that LW UB is not very stable on the Mac?

I think that if I want LW Windows, that I will also have to install Leopard because Bootcamp isn't standalone anymore?

(Please do not turn this thread into a Mac-PC-fight :thumbsdow : I'm looking for objective info and experiences :thumbsup: .)

Thanks for your help :beerchug: .

tribbles
04-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Umm- you get both versions when you buy, so you can decide which you prefer yourself.

I've used both of them; plugin support for Windows is better, but that means I get more challenged when doing it on a Mac :)

As for Bootcamp, I've only used Parallels on Leopard, so I can't comment on that.

archijam
04-02-2008, 02:13 PM
.. what he said. Same dongle, different OS. Have not had any problems so far, just be aware that some older plugins do not have a mac version (tho VERY few that I use), and plugins such as fprime do charge per os.

Welcome and have fun! (Plus join the beta program to get at 9.5 early)

I'm pretty sure you don't have to reinstall anything to add bootcamp to leopard.

j.

Phil
04-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Worley does not charge per-OS. One license fee gets you releases for all supported platforms - Windows (32 and, where available, 64 bit), and PowerPC Mac. There's no UB release of any Worley plugins to date... In fact, almost no developers charge per-platform : only 2 come to mind :

Sensei (TrueArts) and e-on software.

archijam
04-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Phil - Sorry, my bad - indeed, the absence of a UB is still holding me off. I miss it dearly.

j.

dOMINUS
04-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Hey and thanks for the info folks !!!

I'm installing leopard now (Bootcamp and XP-64 tomorrow).

I hope that Macfuse will make it possible to exchange files between OSX and XP64 (NTFS) :D .

adrian63georgin
04-03-2008, 05:54 PM
only window xp pro 32bit can be installed on the mac don't put 64 bit .

[Comment on v9.5 is restricted to the Open Beta forums, per your NDA. NDA violations may result in your removal from the Open Beta program. - The Moderators.]

Chilton
04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi,

9.5 is currently in Open Beta, and is only available to those who have signed up for it (which is any 9.x user who wants in).

It's not a shipping product right now, and discussion of it should remain in the Open Beta forums. That said, there is a FiberFx thread in the Mac Universal Workshop there where the current info on this feature can be found.

-Chilton

LastofTheLarrys
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I run 9.3.1 on Vista and Leopard (10.5.2) on a January 2008 8 core Mac Pro. I find Vista Open GL interactivity and speed of loading scenes superior to Leopard 10.5.2. FPrime is not available for OS X UB, so I tend to stay in Vista for Lightwave.

I like to do long renders in OS X as all my Adobe licenses are for the mac so I build textures while rendering in the background.

The short answer. Get a Mac Pro if you can, and just dual boot between OS X and Vista.

I find virtualization solutions such as VM Fusion and Parallels to not be very reliable for Open GL support and USB dongle support, so I just reboot. Both operating systems boot fairly quickly, so it's not a big deal.

dOMINUS
04-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Bah,

Installed Leopard yesterday and updated it : all OK.

Tried to install XP 64 PRO 2nd edtion today and XP installed and runs fine,
but I can not boot into OSX anymore :devil: .
Somehow Bootcamp messed up my Mac so that booting with alt-key pressed results in me being required to enter a 'firmware password', which I did not have set up in the first place, so I don't have a firmware password to enter .

Called AppleCare and got the advise to bring my Mac to an authorized Appe Service reseller.

Ah well, life goes on I guess, haha :D ...

dOMINUS
04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Fiieeew ..., got my Mac back and they fixed it so I can boot to Leopard and to XP64, so all I need to do now is order LW !

Thanks for the help !

jhogarty
04-11-2008, 12:04 PM
DoMINUS I'm looking forward to how your experience goes. Ordered a 8-core Mac Pro last week and will dual boot for LW and if all goes well, VT5. I'm currently running LW under OSX on a PPC Mac.

As one forum member noted above, and Apple's Website says, I though XP-64 would not work. "Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 (32-bit editions only)" I almost purchased XP-64 today but after reading that from Apple's website I thought I would hit the forums again. :)

Off to do more research,

John...

LastofTheLarrys
04-14-2008, 08:46 AM
One thing to keep in mind is MacDrive will not work with Vista x64, so get an extra drive for your renders that's Windows formatted.

I still find OS X Open GL to be sluggish on my Mac Pro 8 core. That said, if Worley ever delivers a UB version of FPrime, and I can find a reasonable UB network renderer (where are you Bruce Rayne?) I'll happily leave Vista behind. The 32bit Vista 2GB RAM limitation is a problem for network rendering on the 8 cores. OS X can see all 8GB of ram on my machine.

Scazzino
04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
... and I can find a reasonable UB network renderer (where are you Bruce Rayne?)...

I helped Jon Baker debug his ScreamerNet Controller for Mac OS X (http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/) for UB quite a while ago...
It runs fine as a UB, and works well with my DLI_SNUB-Launcher UB (http://dreamlight.com/webshop/utilities/snublauncher.html)...

LastofTheLarrys
04-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Ordered both today. Rendering 16 procs right now. Took about 20 minutes to install and set up.

Scazzino
04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Ordered both today. Rendering 16 procs right now. Took about 20 minutes to install and set up.

Cool! (and thanks ;-)
Those 8-core Mac Pros really put the scream in ScreamerNet don't they? :D