PDA

View Full Version : Freelance Job postings.

Surrealist.
04-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Been poking around the web a bit looking for sites that post freelance work.

Anyone have any favorites?

Surrealist.
04-03-2008, 12:11 PM
What about paid sites like this one (http://www.directfreelance.com/user_default.aspx). Anyone have any opinions. Are these legit?

Steamthrower
04-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I've gotten a few minor modeling/VFX jobs from posting my stuff on VFX Recruit (www.vfx-recruit.com) and FX Guide (www.fxguide.com).

Unfortunately all those ever produce are minor jobs in the range of $500 or $1k or so. All of my major jobs have come from local contacts. It's good money for stuff on the side, though...$500 buys a lot of Doritos...

RollerJesus
04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm not there yet with 3d stuff, but I get a lot of freelance 2d work by searching job postings at colleges, magazines, engineering firms and my favorite... the government. If you happen to own a company and are a minority, or a woman, you have a big advantage in getting gov't work.

For instance, my day job requires 10% - 20% of all of our contracts to go to a minority owned, or disenfranchised business, so often times we'll subcontract our graphics, printing, etc to the highest bidder just to meet our quota.

Steamthrower
04-03-2008, 01:23 PM
you have a big advantage in getting gov't work.

For instance, my day job requires 10% - 20% of all of our contracts to go to a minority owned, or disenfranchised business, so often times we'll subcontract our graphics, printing, etc to the highest bidder just to meet our quota.

This is interesting; what type of government agencies would you think needs 3D work done (if any)? I'm neither a woman or a minority, but I own my own design company. Sounds intriguing.

RollerJesus
04-03-2008, 01:55 PM
what type of government agencies would you think needs 3D work done

Typical 3d work would mostly be arch-viz stuff (new airport terminals, roadway expansion fly-by's, noise wall compositing, etc) The client with the most money and demand would be the state Dept. of Transportation of your choice.

The proposal process for government work can be a bit burdonsome however, so I suggest tracking what engineers/architects win posted job and contact them.

For instance, I'm currently negotiating with an engineering firm to composite a 3d model of an aircraft hangar into some photos for them to use in their marketing effort towards an airport. The sweet deal in this regard, is that if they like the work, they don't want to shop for new talent and they almost always have good AutoCad files to work from.

Andyjaggy
04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Military work. Me thinks they wouldn't hire a freelancer though for something like that.

RollerJesus
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Military work.

No, not the State Department, The Department of Transporation of each state (Florida, NY, etc)

http://www.trans4mation.org/assets/UserFiles/Downloads/Saxon_to_SR472/Bridge%20Animation%20Sequence.wmv

http://www.trans4mation.org/assets/UserFiles/Downloads/Saxon_to_SR472/Saxon%20to%20472%20Noise%20Wall%20Flyer.pdf

Steamthrower
04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, but military work would be cool. I could tell people that I couldn't tell them about it.

archijam
04-03-2008, 03:36 PM
So .. Surrealist. Seems military work is next for you :D

IMI
04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah, but military work would be cool. I could tell people that I couldn't tell them about it.

Or you could but you'd have to kill them. ;)

Steamthrower
04-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Or you could but you'd have to kill them. ;)

That'd be a nice way of presenting my portfolio.

"And sir, if you'll look over here at this page, which is a render of a new stratospheric nuclear missile, you'll see how I rendered the flux capacitors with an advanced shading algorithm.."

"What? Hey, stop! What the..."

"I'm sorry I had to do this. You saw too much."

GATOR
04-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I used to do a fair amount of government work, but the bidding process changed a few years back and it became such a hassle that I don't even bother anymore.

I do have a few folks who are long-time designers for government projects, so they call me up and I give them an estimate and they bundle it in with their project bid. That's the only way I do g'ment jobs anymore. I deal with the designer alone and bill the designer alone.

There was a time when an a government project director would call me up and say "Hey we got this job that's perfect for you..." and they'd give me a budget and we'd sign a contract.

Now they call up and say "There's this great project that's perfect for you, here's the link to it for you to put in your bid."

And guess who gets it? LOWEST BIDDER!

And T-shirt I never want to wear is the one with "Lowest Bidder" blazened across the front of it.

I've worked a lot of federal, state and local jobs (not my state or local, just that level) and the number of people with their sticky fingers in a project can be pretty disconcerting sometimes. Generally not worth the money. Give me a corporate client with a big budget and a single point person any day.

That said...favorite government jobs? JPL BABY!

IMI
04-03-2008, 03:48 PM
That'd be a nice way of presenting my portfolio.

"And sir, if you'll look over here at this page, which is a render of a new stratospheric nuclear missile, you'll see how I rendered the flux capacitors with an advanced shading algorithm.."

"What? Hey, stop! What the..."

"I'm sorry I had to do this. You saw too much."

Just make sure you get the check in your hands first. ;)

Steamthrower
04-03-2008, 03:49 PM
JPL? Man. You'd totally have to kill me if you showed me anything.

EDIT: IMI, the wallet is always easily accessible on a body.

Surrealist.
04-04-2008, 02:09 AM
So .. Surrealist. Seems military work is next for you :D

I almost spit my drink out all over the desk on that one :D

inigo07, thanks for those two links. I will look into it. Thanks for the info guys real helpful. If any one has any more sites or suggestions, I'd love to hear it.