PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Annually Offer Downloadable Codec Pak Updates for All NewTek Registered Users

CreatvGnius
04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Borrowing some thoughts from the thread: NewTek Discussions > TriCaster > TriCaster - General Support > HOW DO YOU MAKE AN ANIMATED LOWER 3rd, it is this writer's opinion that NewTek's providing greater codec support for all NewTek hardware and software end-users from VT through VT[5]; and TriCaster through TriCaster HD and SpeedEDIT where possible.

This should be made available to registered end-users, via download, even if it must be done at a modest.

There are a good number of reasons that come to my mind, for advocating this, but I'll post only a few here.

* Since the ability to work directly with Quicktime files inside a DDR or VT-EDIT with VT4.6 or earlier is currently not possible, but is doable in TriCaster Pro, TriCaster Pro FX and TriCaster STUDIO, and

* Because a good number of VT End-Users are still leveraging available power in their older host PCs, running VT[4] or earlier, and

* Because VT[4] especially version 4.6, is arguably a more solid platform, in a number of respects, for those with less-venerable processors and FSB speeds compared to newer machines, and codec updates would aid these users in gaining more mileage out of their current equipment and software investment.

We also need greater breadth and depth for output options, with adequate documentation giving us the skinny on just what those various codec are ideally suited for.

How stunned I was to learn just about 24 hours ago, thanks to the remarkable Chen Pan, that all of these comprised of the SpeedHQ family:

SHQ0 = "NewTek SpeedHQ Video Codec 4:2:0"
SHQ2 = "NewTek SpeedHQ Video Codec 4:2:2"
SHQ3 = "NewTek SpeedHQ Video Codec 4:2:2:4 (Alpha)"
SHQ4 = "NewTek SpeedHQ Video Codec 4:4:4"
SHQ5 = "NewTek SpeedHQ Video Codec 4:4:4:4 (Alpha)"

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=680203#post680203

~~~

Finally, I'd like to suggest that even if we had to pay for Bi-Annual Codec Pak offerings, I believe this would be beneficial to both NewTek and Customers, asi ti would serve as a basis for keeping the user base glowing about the expectation for ever-increasing file management and output delivery options -- even if there were no major software releases pending.

NewTek, keep up the good work, and thanks for listening.
:thumbsup:
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
04-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Correcting grammar and syntax for the above introductory statements.

"...it is this writer's opinion that NewTek's providing greater codec support for all NewTek hardware and software end-users from VT through VT[5]; and TriCaster through TriCaster HD and SpeedEDIT would be a tremendously good thing.

This should be made available to registered end-users, via download, even if it must be done at a modest cost to us.

-PeterG