PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.5 won't work when Verizon Security Suite is running

THREEL
04-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Arrrrggggh!!!! I switched internet providers recently, from local cable with dial-up speed to Verizon DSL with a 3 Mb connection. It came with a free month long trial of Verizon Security Suite.

Anyway, when the Suite is up-and-running, :lwicon: 8.5 won't work at all in either Modeler, or Layout. As soon as I disable this feature, both Modeler & Layout work just fine. I was using AVG free before, and everything worked normally. The instructions for installation of Verizon's protection plan said that I should Uninstall AVG.

Has anyone else in the forum encountered this situation, or have any advice that would help me fix this problem?

BTW--I'll be contacting Verizon as well to pick their brains.

tHANX!

AL

Hopper
04-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Verizon Security suite is as effective at stopping viruses and intruders as gauze is at stopping 18 wheelers going 90.

I'd dump it. It's almost totally ineffective. Stick with AVG - You're better off.

THREEL
04-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Verizon Security suite is as effective at stopping viruses and intruders as gauze is at stopping 18 wheelers going 90.

I'd dump it. It's almost totally ineffective. Stick with AVG - You're better off.

Noted & done.

tHANX Hopper!

AL

markschum
04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
You could try starting modeller without the hub and see if that works . Some firewalls need to be told to let Lightwave talk to the hub.

THREEL
04-02-2008, 10:34 AM
You could try starting modeller without the hub and see if that works . Some firewalls need to be told to let Lightwave talk to the hub.

The Security Suite asked me if I wanted to allow these programs to have access to the internet. You think if you said yes to that, they would, also, have access to each other. I never had a problem with them locking up because of AVG.

Anyway, the VSS cost 8 bucks a month to keep up and running. For that I can be a new anti-virus software once a year.

Side note: I wish people had better things to do with their lives than write computer viruses to mess up people's computers. It's just a way of having job security I guess as I believe some of these viruses come from the same companies that sell the software to remove them IMHO. Don't get me wrong though, I, also, believe that there are legitimate companies out there fighting the virus epidemic as well.

tHANX Mark!

AL

IMI
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I used to use McAfee since Comcast gives us customers the full McAfee suite for free, but bought the AVG suite since McAfee can't even be installed on a 64 bit OS let alone work.
I've found though in the past that McAfee allows Modeler and Layout to load alot quicker than AVG. However, with AVG I have to start Hub first, or either Modeler or Layout migth take a *long* time to load. No idea why. But if I start Hub first, they load very quickly.
Also, if I have a model in Modeler and I want to do the "send to layout" thing, I have to have Layout already running with a blank scene, or AVG will take a long time to allow it.
One major problem I have with AVG though is it automatic updates whenever it feels like it, whether my CPU is running at 100% and I'm doing something or not. That is *highly* annoying, especially if I'm playing a game at the time (It'll usually crash Oblivion, for example when it starts updating itself, and sometimes Crysis). At least McAfee has an option for whether to update automatically or not. if AVG does, I sure can't find it.

Hopper
04-03-2008, 05:10 PM
That's really interesting stuff IMI. I'll have to check some of that out. Good to know.

I wish people had better things to do with their lives than write computer viruses to mess up people's computers.
The days of real viruses have long since past. Now it's just script kitties betting on the fact that people are dumb enough to run things and go places they shouldn't.

I had a guy at work come to me and tell me he had a virus. I asked him how he thought he may have gotten it. He said "from an email attachment". So I said "Oh .. you mean dumb *** bait.. Yeah sure I can fix it." I had one of our IT guys reboot his box into "re-image from server" mode. :D

Bet he'll never do that again.

I remember when a good virus was about 100 bytes or less and could attach to a floppy disk just by putting it in the drive. Now when people are dumb enough to put in their social security number and PIN info into a box on a web site claiming to be their bank, they call it a "virus" ... Those people "almost" deserve to have their life saving wiped out from under them.

Hopper
04-03-2008, 05:12 PM
One major problem I have with AVG though is it automatic updates whenever it feels like it, whether my CPU is running at 100% and I'm doing something or not.
If you Google it, you should find the registry entry you can modify to change that behaivior.