PDA

View Full Version : install trubble

deaddavey
04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I have an athlon 64bit x2 (dual) chip with 800mhz fsb, 2gb ram, nvidia geforce 8400gs, vista prem...

I am getting the cannot communicate with vt5 card message, and its asking me to try reseating and restarting...

I have tried reseating it several times. It seems to detect the hardware and install it fine, and an led shines in it (it is vt3 with vt5 sw)... even changed the pci slot. I even did a complete wipe and reinstall of the HDD and OS.

Thinking the card might be bust, i took the card parts home (not bob) and installed them in a p4 machine that was not really suitable for live events, but it seemed to work and start up (even mix, at least using two ddr files) - enough to show me the card is alive.

card is now updated to latest vt5 core as per the post-install ritual that was never offered on the othe machine.

does anyone have any advice? I am guessing either that in installing it in the other machine i have secured cables that were slightly off before, OR there is some setting in my BIOS that could affect the card. Also, maybe the other machine is under powered (PSU wise not speed). Could this be a factor or would it affect it in other ways?

Thanks for your help. This is not how I imagined my first day with VT would be lol.

deaddavey
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
does anyone know if there are settings for optimal vt use that can be fiddled with in the bios? its rocket science to me for the most part, but if i get guidance of setting various pci and similar options i might win.

jcupp
04-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Try un-installing the NewTek SD driver. Re-install just the driver, you can find it on the VT5 install disc in the components directory. Reboot and let plug 'n play do it's thing.

deaddavey
04-02-2008, 09:30 PM
thanks jeff, i tried that and it doesnt work

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350020481868&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2F search.dll%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26sbrftog%3D1%26dfsp%3D3 2%26catref%3DC6%26from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26sat itle%3D350020481868%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC6%26sargn%3D-1%2526saslc%253D3%26sadis%3D200%26fpos%3DYO24%2B2X Z%26sabfmts%3D1%26saobfmts%3Dinsif%26ga10244%3D104 25%26ftrt%3D1%26ftrv%3D1%26saprclo%3D%26saprchi%3D %26fsop%3D32%2526fsoo%253D2%26fgtp%3D%26fvi%3D1
here is the motherboard and chipset along with 800mhz ddr2 2x1gb ram

Lee U
04-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Deaddavey, If it's any comfort to you, I have the same problem occasional. I tried everything, then shut down and wiggle the board in the saddle, push and pull on the cables, and start up again. That does it for me. I'm of the opinion there is a cold solder joint on the board and the messing around with it establishes contact again. Just an opinion. It doesn't make sense that I have to reseat when no other card needs to be reseated.

deaddavey
04-04-2008, 08:18 PM
ok...
LeeU: i have never been able to use my card ever with this machine, so its not an intrmittent thing.

I just bought a gigabyte motherboard, 2000mhz fsb, that has pciexpress and pci slots that work with my athlon 64 x2 chip

still the same issue.

cant be software: i wiped the discs and started again
cant be motherboard: replaced
cant be underpowered: replaced psu

what is up with this?

the ONLY thing i can think of is the HDD now. Its a 20gb IDE, but has nothing on except vista and vt. it isnt used for calling ddr or saving captures. maybe its under speed or under spaced(maybe 2-3gb spare). Its the only thing that has remained in the machine.

can anyone help me?

Qexit
04-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I wish I could offer you some advice on this but I've only ever had my VT card installed in Intel based systems and have never had any problems with it being recognised or working properly. it hasn't been near Windows Vista yet either, strictly Win2K and WinXP Pro with no problems. It's currently in an Asus motherboard alongside a Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 with 2Gb RAM, 1.2TB of Sata HDs and a Geforce 7950GT graphics card. The VT5 software seems to be working fine, though I haven't exactly been hammering it...as you might tell from the fact that it's up for sale :D

What are the full specs of the system you are trying to run it in ? Motherboard, total disk space, graphics drivers (actual driver version number, not 'latest drivers' please), etc. My guess would be a compatibility problem with the Athlon based motherboard/chipset, especially since you say it works on an older P4 rig. There was a time when Newtek did not support AMD cpus for the VT.

SBowie
04-06-2008, 05:52 AM
My guess would be a compatibility problem with the Athlon based motherboard/chipset, especially since you say it works on an older P4 rig.I tend to agree. Also, you don't mention explicitly whether this is the newer version card or the older one. As I understand it, the voltage requirements of the older one are not always supported on specific newer motherboards.

Qexit
04-06-2008, 06:56 AM
I just bought a gigabyte motherboard, 2000mhz fsb, that has pciexpress and pci slots that work with my athlon 64 x2 chip

still the same issue.

cant be software: i wiped the discs and started again
cant be motherboard: replacedIf you have replaced the motherboard with one that has the same chipset as the original, then it could easily be the motherboard that is still at fault. Please tell us exactly which motherboard you were using and which one you have replaced it with and also the model number/speed of the athlon cpu.

cant be underpowered: replaced psu

what is up with this?
Again, which psu did you have in before and what have you replaced it with ? Make, stated power and model number if possible please. Hardware problems can often be down to all sorts of things, so it is important to provide specific information about the equipment you are using.

My VT card is currently sat in a PC with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 [email protected] GHz 775 cpu
2GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM
Winfast PX7950GT 512MB PCIe graphics card (Forceware 94.24 drivers)
Asus P5N32-E SLi Plus motherboard (not ideal for a VT card) BIOS Rev 0901
Tagan Dual Engine TG800-U25 - psu - 800 Watt
3 x Seagate Barracuda ES 400GB SataII 7200rpm 16MB cache hard drives
O/S WinXP Pro 32bit SP2

My VT card is very happy in this setup but also worked well in much less beefy systems in the past.

jcupp
04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I did some checking and I think Steve, above, is dead on - the oldest VT cards require 5v and newer PCI slots may only provide 3.3V.

I looked it up and your motherboard has PCI 2.3 compliant slots. PCI 2.3 doesn't support 5v PCI cards so I think that's your problem. I'm not sure when NewTek switched over but I would call tech support and see if they would be willing to swap out your card with a slightly newer one.