PDA

View Full Version : Any way to use an Alpha Image to select polygons?

mnbear
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
:help:

Does anyone know if there is a way to map an alpha image onto an object and then use it to select only the polygons corresponding to the positive areas of the alpha image? I have never run across this particular issue before and I have to believe there's a way to do it.... Thanks for any help!

cagey5
04-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Not directly but using it as a texture displacement in layout and saving the modified object would allow you to easily select them by height.

Probably an easier method though. That's just the first thing that popped into my head.

Surrealist.
04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
:help:

Does anyone know if there is a way to map an alpha image onto an object and then use it to select only the polygons corresponding to the positive areas of the alpha image? I have never run across this particular issue before and I have to believe there's a way to do it.... Thanks for any help!

It would depend on what you are trying to accomplish modeling wise.

Here is an interesting thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62229&highlight=mosaic) perhaps on a different topic than what you are trying to do that might shed some light on a few things.

I seem to remember a thread someplace about taking an image and converting it to a wieghtmap. A weightmap can be used as a 'selection" parameter in many LW tools. That would be my first thought. Again I have no idea what you need to do with the selection. That would make a difference.