PDA

View Full Version : Null keeps snapping back in Walk Cycle!!!

swingrays
04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm doing a walk cycle on a normal character with 2 legs. I put IK on the leg bones and create the null to move it. It works fine. BUT, when I go to manually key a simple movement using the leg null it keeps snapping back into it's resting position when I scrub the time slider!!!! I have to resort to selecting all the leg bones and keying them instead, which makes the null uh..null and void?

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for anyones help!

swing

Weetos
04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
hmmm weird. Would you mind posting your rig ? (no need for posting the character, just a scene with the bones and IK targets)

SplineGod
04-01-2008, 12:11 PM
did you remember to keyframe the position of the nulls? You can do it manually or by turning on autokey.

swingrays
04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Yea, I'm manually keying it. I tried it again and it suddenly worked. Ah, the mysteries of Lightwave. Still, I'm missing something here. Oh well, thanks for helping. You rock, Larry!!!!!!!!!

swing

SplineGod
04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I would turn on autokey since you have undos :)

Castius
04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Undos don't removed keyframes yet. So it's still a small risk though.

swingrays
04-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm actually following Protons Walk Cycle and in it he advises to work with Autokey turned off, which makes sense given the way it works.

SplineGod
04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Autokey works fine. Having to constantly manually key slows things down quite a bit.
Before layout had an undo system manually keying was probably preferred. I use it all the time now when animating with no problems and its definately faster.
I also see a lot of people screwing things up because they pose a character and forget to manually key and things pop back when you scrub thru the timeline as you found out already :)
It just gets to be a real pain to manually key every part of a character as you go.

swingrays
04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Right! The problem I was having was that even when I clearly keyed the null, it still popped back and didn't stay put, almost like the null was working only in theory and not really moving. Hmmm, would "keep goal within reach" cause this to happen??? Because when I'd key the null/goal and move the time slider, the null would stay in place and the geometry would snap back. If I'd grap the null hanging there in the air and move it, the geometry would snap back to it! Ponderous!

Hmmmm, going back into Layout for some more snooping...

swing

swingrays
04-02-2008, 12:43 PM
That was the problem. I didn't have Keep Goal Within Reach checked and while my goal was moving and actually, really, truly being keyframed, it wasn't moving my legs properly because the goal was moving was off from the character. Makes total sense now. I'm keying the goal and wherever I key the goal is where the goal will be irregardless of the bones it's deforming! Ah, concept grasped and a shot of jager to boot!

swing

SplineGod
04-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I dont typically use keep goal within reach because from time to time it causes jitter in rigs.
The goal can move away from the character but its not a big deal and sometimes you want it to do that. The easy way around any problems from that is to not move the goals too far away :)