PDA

View Full Version : 300 dpi?

monfoodoo
03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
I send my brother a Image file renderwd from LW at 2160 by 1440 which i always use to print a 20 by 30 inch backed poster.The printer he took it to (in Colo)says they can't do it because it needs to be 300DPI.Whats the scoop on this?Should i tell him to go somewhere else?I've got 8 ,20 by 30"s done here in balto and they are quite awesome in quality.

Surrealist.
03-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Most printing hardware these days are more or less optimum at 300 dpi. I do quite a bit of printing of my art for retail sales and I don't have any problems bumping stuff up from lower resolutions in PS. What your printer has most likely done is used the printer driver software to bump up the resolution to 300 dpi for the printer (machine) he is using. But from my experience this is a risky proposition. You are probably just lucky. What your brother is hearing is what most printers will tell you. Lazy because they either don't know how or don't want to bother using the driver software that comes with the machine to bump it for the printer. But my experience has led me to believe I can not trust that software for good quality. As I said you are lucky. What I would do, if managing print jobs from afar is do what I always do when doing it local, which is give them a file that is 300 dpi. (well ok let's get it straight it is actually 300 ppi for those who want to get pedantic) So if you give them a 300 pp1 (pixels per inch) file that you can create in PS or other photo package that has resampling you are better off. This way they can go from 300 ppi to the printer's 300 dpi. This way he can take it to any printer and compare quality if need be and have much less hassle all the way around.

monfoodoo
03-31-2008, 11:07 PM
I had sent him the band logo file,which is one of the files they want to put on a 3 by 5 banner.I told him to tell them to just open the file in PSD and change it to 300dpi.I just did it here and it looks fine.So as you say,if they aren't willing to do that,i'll send him the new file.Thanks for the fast reply.scott