PDA

View Full Version : Custom Desktop - Save doesn't really Save on crash

nepvetm1
03-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Let me try to be distinct here...

We have two VT systems, one a VT4 and one a VT5. On both of them, the desktop saves and reloads as normal, EXCEPT when VT crashes. Now I could understand if you don't save it it would lose the changes. That makes sense.

BUT what we're experiencing is that we do save the desktop, and if VT crashes later on, it's as if we didn't save the changes. Whenever we save changes to the desktop, we have to completely exit VT and restart it to make sure that it is really saved in the event of a crash.

It's as if File / Save (not Save As, but saving the current desktop) doesn't really Save until you exit VT.

Is this normal?

SBowie
03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that's basically true for config items of all type, including Prefs settings.

Troylaflin
04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
What is not saving new modules loaded or closed or changes inside say the CG designer or DDR.

nepvetm1
04-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Sorry i didn't reply... been busy. anyways, our VT5 machine is our live switcher / editor and our vt4 machine is just for streaming. On either one, if you don't exit after saving, any changes made to DDR windows lose the changes if vt crashes. Which means any time we make changes to our internet stream playlist, we have to exit vt and stop the steam - annoying considering we stream 24/7 and don't want downtime just to save the dumb list...

SBowie
04-17-2008, 10:55 AM
In TC, you can load and save a DDR playlist - I think that would solve your problem here, it VT had a similar function. (I thought there was something along the lines of a 'module store' function in 4.6, but don't have one handy to check)

Troylaflin
04-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Ok At my school we had the same problem. what VT does is just save the configuration of the modules and not what is in them. there for if you save the config and it crashes you reload the config but the modules remember what were in them the last time you exited cleanly. To correct this you can either close the program after you load everything you need and save the config or in each. Or the other option is to save for example the DDR play list. You can save that as what is called a DDR project. If you do that after you reload VT and the config you have to then reload that playlist which takes more time. Also if I understand what Steve is talking about he's talking about the 5 presets at the top of the window. those are no good if the system crashes those are empty. The best solution is for NewTek to develop a product that dosent crash on a regular basis. As that is the only thing my schools VT[5] does on a consistent basis. Sorry for the rant.

Troy

SBowie
04-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Also if I understand what Steve is talking about he's talking about the 5 presets at the top of the window.No, actually, that's not what I meant Troy. That said, it was dumb of me not to see it in [5] - the DDR File menu has load and save. That corresponds to what I had in mind.

Apart from that, the current content of DDRs, as with a lot of other things are only stored on (successfully) exiting the VT software ... So, as has been discussed above, in a crash or hang situation it is not retained. Further, it is discarded if on a re-start you opt to reset configs (acknowledging that sometimes this is unavoidable.)

That all said ...

The best solution is for NewTek to develop a product that dosent crash on a regular basis. As that is the only thing my schools VT[5] does on a consistent basis.This suggests something conflicting with your local VT installation. Lots of people experience crashes rarely, if at all - even in a live setting. There are a number of 'regular suspects' ... maybe try diagnosing your particular issue (with assistance from your friendly neighborhood forum denizens) in a separate thread?

nepvetm1
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
thanks for the tip about saving the ddr list seperately... gonna try that and see how that does.

nepvetm1
04-24-2008, 07:54 AM
funny enough, after i saved the ddr playlist, vt crashed :D but when i reloaded the list, it was the way i left it so again thanks for the tip.