PDA

View Full Version : particle FX / collision issues, help!

jasond
03-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm angry, I've lost an entire day to this and I need some help.

I have an emitter simulating confetti bursting/spraying over 3 hills from an object. I can't get the particles (dynamic link polys to the particles) to stop spinning / jittering upon collision with the hills.

Well, that's only 2/3 true. One of the hills (all three have collision fx applied) does indeed catch the particles and they just sit there. However, the other two hills, with *exactly* the same collision settings, have the particles flipping about endlessly like little spastic fish. Yet, again, the settings are exactly the same across all the collision objects.

*And*, that's only a problem if I want some sort of rotation via the particle link settings. Of course I do, they're supposed to be paper fluttering about.

I don't want the stinking things to fall all in perfect alignment totally ignoring the slope of the hill or the variable rotations they took to get there.

I've tried every variation of collision settings that I can imagine, including enormous values for fix and friction.

I can't remember everything I've tried. It's been an entire weekend day of unbillable work for a deadline when I should've been spending at least a measly day a week with my son. *That*, Newtek, makes this infuriating.

And it's all under NDA, so I hope I've been clear enough.

Anyone, please?

jasond
03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I can't get away with ParticleIllusion and comping this time. The confetti needs to be on the hills/mounds, in perspective.

Mr Rid
03-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I have an emitter simulating confetti bursting/spraying over 3 hills from an object. I can't get the particles (dynamic link polys to the particles) to stop spinning / jittering upon collision with the hills.

Yeah, thats a problem with 'Bounce.' 'Stick' should make the particles remain calm. But dial back the friction and fix values you amped up.

jasond
03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah, thats a problem with 'Bounce.' 'Stick' should make the particles remain calm. But dial back the friction and fix values you amped up.

And I've had a variety of settings, 1 to about 10000.

Thanks for the reply. Any other ideas?