PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Soccer

theo
03-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Finally wrapped the I-balls around this flick. Purely excellent eye smack. Totally took me by surprise. Little Asian flick throws down HolyWood (misspelled intentionally) with spinning, flying, back-flipping front kick. There's some kind of genius in this film.

Twisted_Pixel
03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Yup, it's a good film. There is a lot of quality in the films coming out of Asia, at least half my DVD collection is subtitled.

warrenwc
03-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Love it!
If you haven't seen Steve Chows next-"Kung-Fu Hustle", do it soon.:thumbsup:

theo
03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Love it!
If you haven't seen Steve Chows next-"Kung-Fu Hustle", do it soon.:thumbsup:

I'm on it. Thanks for the rec.

Twisted-P, if you've got some good Asian eye smack I would be interested in your recs as well.

Never been a big Asian film fan over the years but Shaolin Soccer seems to have re-piqued my interest. I did find The Protector quite entertaining in an odd way (the script is regurgitated karate-house mush, in my view, but the eye sugar pours from the screen quite adeptly in a couple of sections) which is adding to the re-ignition effect.

Twisted_Pixel
03-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Agree with warrenwc on Kungfu hustle, another in a similar vein would be Arahan.
My collection veers off into two routes, Japanese horror and more traditional style martial arts based stories, some with modern twists.

kopperdrake
03-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Talking of Asian cinema - all the Miyazaki animations too - beautiful stuff - but please don't watch the versions dubbed by an American distributor (was it Warner?) who insisted on making the pets talk - why does every hero need a goofy talking side kick?!! "Kiki's Delivery Service" - some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen.

dwburman
03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I liked shaolin soccer better than kung-fu hustle. Less killing more fun :)

Mr Rid
03-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Iron Monkey, B13(Banlieue 13), The Host, Legend of Zu and superior prequel Zu: Warriors of Magic Mountain from '83, Night Watch/Day Watch, Avalon, Immortel, Casshern, Dobermann, Cutie Honey (live action), Chinese Ghost Story 3, Renegade/Blueberry, Ong Bak/Thai Warrior, Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb, Renaissance, Acci?n mutante, Who Wants to Kill Jessie '66.

Titus
03-30-2008, 10:17 PM
The Shaolin Soccer DVD comes with great commentaries on how they did the VFX.

joeldberry
03-30-2008, 10:36 PM
This is pretty neat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmFQMIGxrnc

SplineGod
03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I believe the same director is doing a live action version of DragonBall Z

JohnMarchant
03-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Also to add to the mix, Bichinmoo, Musa the warrior or maybe released as just the warrior, the swordsman part 1 and 2, new dragon gate inn, also Azumi 1 and 2.

To name just a few,

Regards, John

theo
03-31-2008, 07:29 AM
It appears as if Asian is on the visual buffet for the next few months...

Thank you for the recs, all good peoples of the LW Cluster.

wavk
03-31-2008, 07:44 AM
one of my favorites :)

cj7 is the latest of stephen chow and team.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/cj7/trailer/

mlon

DragonFist
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
I started the English dubbed version of Shoalin Soccer and didn't finish it. I love Asian movies for the most part though I am not much of a fan of Anime (there are exceptions, Akira for example. I don't really like the drawing style and it pulls me out of the story) but I've seen so many live action Asian films that I really, really loved. Ong Bak (low on story but damn good on action), Old Boy, War, anything Jackie Chan,Crouching Tiger, Zu, the 100's of classic movies I grew up on watching Sunday afternoons on channel 5(NY).

But I simply found what I saw of Shoalin Soccer to be disjointed and unfunny. Is the Chinese version so radically different? If it is, I'd give it another try because I was excited for from the trailers. I rarely don't finish a film, but I was that disappointed by it. Yet others seem to have enjoyed it so much I can only figure that the one I saw was so butchered from the original. I'm hoping that's the case.

theo
03-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Shaolin Soccer would be quite difficult to inkhorn. I don't think the film is great in the classic sense. The film maker doesn't strive to successfully fuse together the crucial bulk of cinematic elements that creates an Academy Award-level film.

What Chow does achieve with Shaolin Soccer is a movie that simply entertains in spite of its many distractions and inconsistencies. It is not a polished film but there are many creative elements inserted into the film that resonates an interesting subcultural visual demeanor.

The 'light' egg-eating fat man, the musical-flavored scenes, the slap-stick style Kung-Fu humor (for example, how the two women at the end of the film apply their newly-acquired Kung-Fu) and the sort of reckless creative abandon the film reflects creates a unique fusion of sorts which I found highly entertaining.

This could be a film similar to Napoleon Dynamite, which I found very funny. Many people I know HATED (in caps) the Dynamite film.

But I simply found what I saw of Shoalin Soccer to be disjointed and unfunny. Is the Chinese version so radically different? If it is, I'd give it another try because I was excited for from the trailers. I rarely don't finish a film, but I was that disappointed by it. Yet others seem to have enjoyed it so much I can only figure that the one I saw was so butchered from the original. I'm hoping that's the case.

Iain
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
It's not a lot like Shaolin Soccer but Oldboy is a fantastic film. Surreal, violent genius from Korea.

I loved Kung Fu Hustle too. Great blend of martial arts and silly humour.

theo
03-31-2008, 10:21 AM
It's not a lot like Shaolin Soccer but Oldboy is a fantastic film. Surreal, violent genius from Korea.

I loved Kung Fu Hustle too. Great blend of martial arts and silly humour.

I have watched OldBoy and found it excellent and, yes, surreal. Currently, it resides at the apex of my rather skeletal list of viewed Asian films.

beverins
03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
The dubbed version of Shaolin Soccer is terrible, because they actually change things with the dub. As an example, the hero's soccer team are all supposed to be brothers.. I fail to understand why the dubbed version makes them into "friends".

Another Stephen Chow movie that you guys might wanna look into is called God Of Cookery. It's one of his first movies, and the ending is pretty extreme and funny. It's not an easy one to find in mainstream locations, though.

wavk
03-31-2008, 02:32 PM
the english dub is like slaughter :)
also make sure you got the full cut.

mlon

Twisted_Pixel
03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
A lot of good recommendations here.
You can see just how 'small' my collection is over in this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=680383#post680383).