PDA

View Full Version : Material Nodes and Image Maps

evolross
03-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm working on a glass dielectric juice bottle that has a label on it. What's the proper way for mixing material nodes and image maps?

Everything I've tried to solve it with one surface doesn't work. I actually have to create duplicate polygons where the label will be and move them into a slightly different location and apply the image to the new geometry and use a transparency map to allow the bottle to show through (see picture).

Is there a better way? It seems like if you use a material node, that overrides everything else in the node editor.

COBRASoft
03-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey Evolross,

I use the material mixer to get this done. I don't know if this is the right way, but I get good results.

I my attached sample, I use an image to put metallic text on a parfume bottle. The alpha is used in the material mixer. The 'color' of the image is used as input for my conductor. You can replace the conductor by the 'Make Material' node, which allows you to use the 'classic' surfacing way.

Greetings,
Sigurd

evolross
03-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your help... I got it working. I wasn't using the Alpha input right on the Material Mixer node and I also didn't think to use the Make Material node.

COBRASoft
03-31-2008, 07:15 PM
You're welcome, glad I could help somebody else once. Normally, I'm the guy with all the questions :)

Can we see the result image?