PDA

View Full Version : Possible to move objects on the same layer?

Vijaya
03-30-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm a beginner with the LW and I'd like to know is it possible to move different objects (separately) on the same layer? (after they are mixed to each other). I'm used to this in InDesign, Freehand and Illustrator but in LW it's a bit confusing... Do you have to name the objects or group them or what...?

Thanks!

UnCommonGrafx
03-30-2008, 08:28 AM
select one poly;
press the "]" key to select everything connected to that poly, i.e., the object;
move said object or;
Hold shift and go back to the beginning to select more objects to move.

Vijaya
03-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Ok. After learning the basics I try to make a log house. I quess it doesn't make sense to put EVERY LOG on a different layer? (Naturally there are goin to be dozens of logs).

Thanks Robert!

hrgiger
03-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Are you talking about modeler or Layout? In modeler, it's just a matter of selection as UnCommon pointed out above. In Layout you can't really move objects that are on the same layer seperately, although you could use bones or weight maps to do it if you were so inclined.

Vijaya
03-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I meen the Modeler. What do You mean by "UnCommon pointed out above?".
(Sorry about my bad English...).

hrgiger
03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
I just meant that UnCommonGrafx told you above already how to move things seperately in modeler.

JeffrySG
03-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes you are correct. Usually it does not make sense to put every object on a separate layer. It will become easier to remember to hit the "]" key the more you do it, when you want to move individual objects.

Vijaya
03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Okay. Thank's for You all. Let's see what happens... :)

Jim M
03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Or press T for Move then N for Numeric then change Falloff. Depends how many you have to move etc...

UnCommonGrafx
03-30-2008, 08:57 PM
For a log cabin, one would be better advised to use the array tool to set up all the logs.
So many tools to do the same thing...but more efficiently or not...

Surrealist.
03-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Take a look at the Snap Drag Tool set to connected points. You can move things around pretty good that way. But I agree also about using array or clone or any other tool you can use that will automate it. Also know you can copy and paste then move an exponentially larger group of items each time if placement is too critical for an array or clone tool.

Images below referenced in the technique I am talking about in this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75463&highlight=hexagon+array).

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51648&d=1193687731

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51649&d=1193687738

Vijaya
03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all help! Have to check out what that Array tools is...
Snap drag tool looks like a god solution also for a roof made from bricks (if I want to make them all separately).

I really got some help. Thanks guys!

Surrealist.
03-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Just remember you don't have to snap with the snap drag tool. You can just use it as a handy move tool. Only you do have to grab the object my the point.

Vijaya
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Ok. Good to know.
Another question: (I don't know if You can see my pdf?). How to put the logs like in the second example? So that I can KEEP THE ORIGINAL shape of the logs (if I change the positions afterwards). Boolean is out of question? (The weird text in the pdf is Finnish language).

Remember: the questions might sound stypid. I'm taking my first steps with LW...

Vijaya
04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
...like in Freehand, Illustator or InDesign: the latest object is always 'on the surface'. Does it make any sense...?

Surrealist.
04-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, you can always overlap things. No general rule about that. The only thing you have to be careful about is when two polygons occupy the same space, you will get a flicker in an animation as they compete for who gets rendered. In this case it would be just an intersection which would be OK.

Your only worry would be the additional polygons you don't need in the scene. In the first example, just delete the polygons at the bottom. You can still have them intersect, but there is no reason to have the polygons there taking up RAM. And when you get a big scene going. That is going to be a factor.

No reason you can not have two versions of the log, if you need it. Not sure how your log cabin is constructed but if you are looking to simplify, overlapping parts can work OK as in your second example.

Vijaya
04-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Yes, I guess doing the "U" shape on a log isn't a big job after all. Then you can make the round shape in the ends (subdivide). And copy them on each other.

Thanks Richard for true professional help!

Surrealist.
04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
No problem. Let us know how it progresses and if you have any more questions, and by all means post some of the results. Lots of guys here have done this kind of stuff and I am sure you'll get some great tips.

Vijaya
04-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Still one question about the overlapping: How to do it? I mean the first example in my pdf was a result of doing nothing particular. It came like that automaticly. How to overlap the logs like in the second example?

Surrealist.
04-06-2008, 04:59 AM
Well it does not really translate in the same way as a 2D program. You are in 3D space so you simply stack them so that they overlap. If you use the array or clone tool, set it to that they repeat with a distance that has them overlapping. One or the other will not have any seniority based on the order that they are stacked.

Vijaya
04-06-2008, 02:40 PM
So You mean the only true way is to make that type of logs? (and then clone them on each other).

Vijaya
04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
...I mean like the logs in the second example? (boolean or something).

Surrealist.
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
What I am saying is that the second example was made in a 2d program and you would not see that in 3D just by stacking them. Not literally exactly. Just like in the real world you would not see that unless they were cut out on the bottom. So yes, that would take a boolean.

What I am saying is that you could overlap them. But looking at it now I realize that the end polygons would be in the same space and create render problems. So you might want to boolean them instead. For construction purposes though - in the real world - would it not be more like example #1?

Booth would look the same on the sides but the ends would be different.

Vijaya
04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
In a 'real' world the logs would be like in the second example (at least here in Finland :)). That's how they became locked to each other.
But I understand what You mean. So thank's again!

Surrealist.
04-08-2008, 07:24 PM
LOL! I wondered about that. Practical. Very practical.

OK so there you have it then. Boolean it is. :)

markschum
04-10-2008, 10:11 PM
To make that example of round logs stacked I would just make one round log, avd clone it so there is a small overlap. No booleans yet. The logs will intersect but that wont cause serious texturing problems except at the ends .
Once they are set as you want them I would go into point mode and drag the points at the ends to make the shape you have , rather than boolean . you only need to make one , and then clone it again , measuring the offset

markschum
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
By moving the points manually and cloning you avoid any nasties of booleans , although if you are modelling a rough log , slightly bent etc , boolean would be easier.

The example took less than a couple minutes to do . You could select part of the log and use jitter to get some roughness, although a bump map might be better .

Surrealist.
04-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Good idea. But thinking about it more I would delete the polys on the inside as you won't need them and it will contribute to the bog down and render time in Layout. Just make sure the ends meet up so there are no light leaks.

colkai
04-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Or put a poly behind them with very low diffuse.
This probably is more "real" anyway as log cabins would need something behind the logs to block draughts as the uneven nature of logs means you could never get a perfect fit.

Of course, that said, really old cabins probably just had struts the logs were nailed to. :)

Vijaya
04-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Looks like a lot of good ideas. Just have to check out what all those words keep inside :). Because of my 'not so good' English and 'not nowing much about LW yet'...

By the way: where to find some basic information about modeling? (internet). Not about the organic modeling but more like this type of architectural stuff?

Surrealist.
04-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Have a look over here (http://members.shaw.ca/LightWavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm) and see what you can find. Many are old but you may find some useful information.

Vijaya
04-13-2008, 03:04 PM
I've been visiting there few times very quickly. Maybe I have to take a more serious look this time...
Thanks again!