PDA

View Full Version : Does the Object ID buffer work?

monovich
03-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Howdy. I'm rendering out a scene in 9.3 and trying to output the object ID buffer and use it with the ID matte in After Effects CS3. I've tried RLA and RPF exports with the ID buffer selected, but when I try to extract mattes in AE, I get weird results, huge groupes of my items are bunched together instead of having mattes for individual items in the scene, and there are really only about three mattes total if I surf through hundreds of ID values in the AE plugin.

I'm not using any reflection in the scene, by the way.

Has anyone used this buffer successfully? It would be amazingly helpful to get it working.

Please please help!

thanks.

-Stephen

monovich
03-30-2008, 02:41 PM
wow. so I guess nobody has used it? amazing.

monovich
03-30-2008, 03:36 PM
It seems to be very very broken in 9.3.2 or whatever we're on these days.

Does anyone have James Willmonts Object ID node? Its a free node but his site is down and it may help me figure this out. If anyone can send it to me, it would save me so much work and I would be very indebted.

signup (at) monovich (dot) com

*desperate cry for help*

jameswillmott
03-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I've never known the ObjectID buffer to work... but that probably doesn't help you does it?

( I emailed you the node you asked for BTW )

monovich
03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Thats okay, your plugin completely solves the problem. I just made a node tree that divides the output from your node by 256 (for the 256 values of RGB) and then I plug it into the color channel. Of course I set luminosity to 100 also.

works like a charm! I may try to use Denis' buffer storing nodes to remap the output from it to overwrite the object ID buffer, that way it still stores neatly if I want to use AE's 3d channel extractor to self-matte individual objects (saves some time, maybe?)

Thanks again!

attached is the simple node flow and my output.

monovich
03-30-2008, 05:54 PM
speaking of overwriting the object ID buffer, does anyone know how I might do this? I was looking at DP's pixel filter node, but it doesn't have a Object ID input to plug into. Does Object ID go by another name sometimes?