PDA

View Full Version : sketchup -> lw rendering (by you :) )

izzodizzo
03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi guys,

My first post here.

I am currently doing some 3d work in my spare time, mainly using sketchup, i am modelling my appartment now, and after seeing some of the nice GI renders from 9.5/9.3 i am thinking about buying lw, but my wallet is kinda thin right now :)

I'm very exited reading about the lw 9.5 features, and hope that the GI solution is good, cause i have to buy a renderer/modeler sometime (a guy can only go so far with sketchup you know).

I know you can't show me 9.5 OB renders yet, but would someone like to give rendering this one a shot in 9.x and post the image here ? i'll attach the exported file (which i exported with a sketchup plugin i got from this forum).
I have no way of checking if this file is ok, as the lw trial i wanted to download isn't there :eek: .

Everything in this model is made by me, so no copyright issues.

p.s. Not sure if i'm in the correct forum.

Regards,
Izzo

izzodizzo
03-29-2008, 07:38 PM
btw, In Sketchup i have the camera at about the middle of the room looking towards the big windows (thats why there is only stuff in that corner of the room.)

Jim M
03-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Theres no textures ... so you want a GI render?

izzodizzo
03-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi Jim,

i dont think i can attach the sketchup materials cause they belong to sketchup.

Basically, everything is white in my interior, except for the floor, which is wood.

You can always change colors tho if you want, i had a friend render it in C4D with VRAY, i'll attach the picture so you can see what he came up with. Basically i hope that lw makes better renders (because its cheaper then a C4D + Vray setup).

IMI
03-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Looks like a cool challenge. :)

RebelHill
03-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Vray is pretty damn good as it happens... theres not a lot out there that is actually a better quality renderer for this sort of stuf... but generally, its mostly to do with the person using it, a skillful LW user will rpoduce better results than a Vray know nothing.

LW is great... but dont forget, u can get sketchup versions of a couple of high end renderers now.... including Vray.

tygryss
04-01-2008, 02:37 AM
i didn't used sketchup, but on some sites, are sketchup models, and there is also a colloda model. so I think sketchup can export into colloda. 9.5 can read it, the basic materials is come frome there, like UV map, textura, and basic shader informations... if u play with in lightwave's node editor, and render it. If u want just stills, Vray is ok, but it is slow, if u need animation, I recommed to use lightwave 9.5 ... Vray, is $999, and I don't know how many render nodes included for that price, lightwave with lwcad (a great CAD modeling plugin) is 699 Euro, and it included 999 render node licens...

Erwin Zwart
04-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Can you send me the sketchup file? Then I can get it textured and render in LW9.5, modo and kray.

izzodizzo
04-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Tnx for the info guys,

Erwin, i will send you the sketchup file tonight, as i'm at work atm.

Regards,
Ruud

globalnode
04-01-2008, 04:42 AM
heres one...
LW renderer
Final gather 5 bounce
11 min on a quad core

bjornkn
04-01-2008, 04:50 AM
Here's a couple of quick GI renders in LW 9.3.1, with the default materials. One single light outside, and a blurred HDR sky. 2-2:30 min each

Vujaka
04-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Why dont you just use podium?

inkpen3d
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,

i'll attach the exported file (which i exported with a sketchup plugin i got from this forum).

For all of you who are interested in getting your hands on this plugin, the thread reference is http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65906&page=3&highlight=sketchup.

It seems to work okay - you may just need to use M_TrigonsX to clean up the imported objects (see thread http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75307&highlight=trigons&page=4).

IMI
04-01-2008, 11:51 AM
My negligible attempts...
First one (Room_Spot.jpg), Final Gather GI at 5 bounces, time 4 minutes and a few seconds. Light was a spotlight with a 4096 shadow map at 7.5 softness.

Second one (Room_Area.jpg), Final Gather GI at 5 bounces, with an area light and raytrace shadows. Render time, 13 minutes, 4 seconds.

Both of them use a HDRI sky as a light probe.
LW 9.3.1 64 bit. AMD 3 ghz. dual core.

izzodizzo
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,

Looking good there, altho i'm missing contact shadows in some pictures, but thats probably easily fixed by using higher settings for the GI?

Attached is the sketchup file

thanks you all, and have fun persuading me to buy lightwave :thumbsup:

Ruud

IMI
04-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey guys,

Looking good there, altho i'm missing contact shadows in some pictures, but thats probably easily fixed by using higher settings for the GI?

Depends on the brightness. If you stand in a real room that's brightly lit from a very diffuse source, alot of shadows are barely noticeable, sometimes practically nonexistent.
As for contact shadows, area lights do that well, but again, in bright GI, the effect is much less pronounced, since the GI bounces light all over the place, including into where the contact point are. I think Ambient Occlusion can be used to pronounce the contact shadows though.

You ought to ask one of the members here such as "Exception" about all that though. He does some amazing arch viz.

bjornkn
04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Here are a couple more tests, with textures. The first one is 8 min in LW 9.3.1, with blurred reflections. The second one is 6 hours with FPrime (while I was away), still with some noise though.

Contact shadows are there, but would be much more pronounced if the room was lit directly from inside, instead of only indirectly through the windows. BTW, the Vray example is suspiciously light below the table, isn't it, with hardly any shadow at all?

Nice room btw :)

IMI
04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Those look pretty nice, certainly nicer than mine. :)

Once again though I find myself wondering who you have to sleep with to get great AA in LW? I see it's not just me, and the VRay render has it too, most noticeably on the table and window sill. My AA settings were Classic, 3 at adaptive, at .005. Setting it higher didn't seem to help.

Yeah, it is a nice room. Needs more material assignments though. :)

Ztreem
04-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Limit dynamic range will fix that.

IMI
04-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you Ztreem, I'll give that a try.

MooseDog
04-01-2008, 07:00 PM
another option to limit dynamic range is to use one of the hdr exposure tools: either in the image viewer or as an image filter. mho is to stay away from limit dynamic range so i don't loose all the information that's hidden by the limits of a monitor in a floating point image.

anyhoo, my try is below. for the life of me i couldn't get any good contact shadows between the cabinet and the wall.

original render of 1280x720 was 1h55min on my wheezing p4 :help:

also some touch-up with ps.

nice design on the room, open to some great compositions. thx izzo for sharing:thumbsup:

zardrose
04-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Lw 9.5

Ztreem
04-02-2008, 01:17 AM
another option to limit dynamic range is to use one of the hdr exposure tools: either in the image viewer or as an image filter. mho is to stay away from limit dynamic range so i don't loose all the information that's hidden by the limits of a monitor in a floating point image.

For a image shown on the web or in this thread you don't gain anything from keeping the floating point values, you only get ugly AA in your pics. I use Limit dynamic range all the time without problem, but if you do need all the HDR information (especially the white values) to alter your image you shouldn't use it.

zardrose
04-02-2008, 01:50 AM
LW 9.5 new

righteous
04-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Here is a 9.5 attempt from me.

bjornkn
04-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Nice scene to do tests on :)
In case your room is in one of those nice tree-lined canal streets in Delft,the home of the best interior-lighting painter ever, Vermeer, this is how it might look like?

Thanks for the tips on "limit dynamic range" BTW. Another one of those tools in LW that I never tried before...

izzodizzo
04-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Awesome tests guys,

I am making the rest of the rooms aswell atm, so expect a new scenefile soon, i will also try to get some reference pictures shot, so you guys can see the colors etc.

Regards,
Ruud

bjornkn
04-03-2008, 05:25 AM
So now you have started saving money for buying LW then? ;)

With all the traffic in your room lately I thought there might be some wear on the floor, so once again I used your scene to test something - material mixing on the floor with reference object and falloff etc.

BTW, a few tips for SU:
You should start using components, like for the table legs, radiator etc.. it would save you a lot of work.
When making circles or arcs, try to lower the number of segments. Draw the circle/arc, and then just type 12s (or something else), and it changes immideatly to the given number of segments. You could also select the circle/segment afterwards, and change the numberr of segments in the Entity Info panel.
IMO both your table, radiator and little cabinet have way too many poygons.

Try to view your model in Monochrome mode. Then you'll find that lots of polygons are facing in the wrong directions. Like on this SU image, where all the blue faces are backfaces, iow facing in the wrong direction for an interior view.

IMI
04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Two more, with GI and depth of field, but with two different cameras - LW's Perspective camera and the Shift camera, to show the differences between the two.
Got a little better AA since trying what Ztreem suggested, and other things.
Ignore the bright triangle to the left of the door frame - I think I missed a polygon while resurfacing. ;)
The "Shift Camera" in LW seems to be for canceling out the perspective distortion of objects in a wide angle lens view.
I'm not sure why the splotchiness on the ceiling happens with GI here, it wasn't happening before but I think it might be because I turned down the sampling to get a quicker render.

IMI
04-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Try to view your model in Monochrome mode. Then you'll find that lots of polygons are facing in the wrong directions. Like on this SU image, where all the blue faces are backfaces, iow facing in the wrong direction for an interior view.

I came across alot of strange things while trying to resurface, mostly flipped and double-sided polys. I figured it was just a sketchup thing when exporting as lwo.

SP00
04-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Hmm, can't seem to access page 3, unless I post? Weird.

IMI
04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Seems to be a new thing with whatever they did to update the forum software. It seems when a page is at the last post it can handle but still not to the next page yet, the next page shows in the list, but if you click on it you get the last full page. Since the next page is still empty. In this case it was page 3.

SP00
04-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Seems to be a new thing with whatever they did to update the forum software. It seems when a page is at the last post it can handle but still not to the next page yet, the next page shows in the list, but if you click on it you get the last full page. Since the next page is still empty. In this case it was page 3.

Ahhh, that just makes it complicated.

IMI
04-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Ahhh, that just makes it complicated.

Yeah, well, this is what happens when we go all electronic.
The ancients would laugh their collective a$$es off at us, watching our communication foibles. :D

izzodizzo
04-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey guys,

I've updated my sketchup model , i'd say i'm 75% done now with the house, got all major stuff in it aswell. (the TV, faucet and oven come from the sketchup library)

I'll post the sketchup file here, and the exported lw files for those that dont have sketchup

I've put a cube outside the house which has a 1x1x1 m size for reference purposes.

izzodizzo
04-13-2008, 12:37 PM
somehow i can't upload the sketchup model after i zipped or rarred it, will try again later.

Jim M
05-03-2008, 03:14 AM
9.3.1 with 2 Area Lights + Monte Carlo GI.