PDA

View Full Version : Problem loading LWO files

Powerdots
03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Howdy, I've been having a problem starting up/initializing the LW program by either double clicking or right clicking on saved LWO files from my desktop and and instructing it to "OPEN WITH" at which point I choose (or browse) for my LW Modeler 9.3 exe icon (which happens to display the white box with the blue bar on top instead of the actual icon). It then prompts me with an error message which states that the LWO file I selected is not a vaild Win32 application. My LW version is for a 32 bit computer.

Currently, the only way I can load these saved files into LW is by first opening the LW program by double clicking directly on the LW exe shortcut icon and then choosing load object from the file menu once LW loads.

I also have Modo on my system and when I double click on my saved desktop LWO files it automatically defaults to opening with Modo and does so without a problem, even though they are LWO files. It doesn't matter that I've right-clicked on the LWO files, clicked properties, and where it says "Open With", changed it to default to LW Modeler exe. (which still shows that white screen with the top blue bar icon instead of the actual LW exe icon), it still produces that error when I try to double click the desktop saved LWO file.

I'm not entirely sure if Modo being on there has anything to do with it, or if the fact that the LW icons (both Modeler and Layout) are not displaying as they should when I try to direct "OPEN WITH" to it, but I just find it increasingly strange/annoying that I cannot startup the LW program by double clicking on an LWO saved file that I created with LW.

I'm running LW 9.3 with the following computer specs:

P4 3.4 Ghz
Windows XP home edition SP 2 platform
2 gigs DDR RAM
250 Gig Harddrive
NVIDIA Ge FORCE 6800 graphics card

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

-J

medicalart
03-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I've never been able to do that either.

Powerdots
03-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Well, according to a post on the Renderosity Forum (Lightwave/Modo sections) there is some sort of incompatibility conflict if you have Modo and LW on the same computer and checked off yes to allow Modo to associate LWO and OBJ files upon installation of Modo. When doing so, it doesn't seem to be possible to simply "browse" for open with LW application icons (at least for the person who posted as well as myself). So I uninstalled both LW and Modo, reinstalled them both again (this time not allowing Modo to associate with LWO and OBJ files upon prompting) and everything works as it should.

Here is the link to that Rosity posting in case anyone is interested:
Modo 203, LW conflict Warning (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2709630)

Why the LW icons were displaying as the blank "window with blue bar" icons, is still a mystery to me, but for now, everything is working fine.

-J