PDA

View Full Version : Ok... dilemma.. 10.2.6 or no FCP 4?

Ge4-ce
07-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Hi guys.. I just hate something..

How is the situation with the bug.. I recently had a lot of trouble running the 10.2.5 update known as the radeon bug.. How are things now??

I want to install FCP 4 and cannot because it needs 10.2.5!!! Any thoughts about the 7.5c update in combination with 10.2.6??? Is the big-crash problem on ATI-radeon cards gone??

Please tell me yes... ;-)

but be honest :-)

think that's gonna be difficult... pfff...

js33
07-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Why don't you just trash the ATI card and get an nVidia?
Better for LW anyway.:D

Cheers,
JS

Ade
07-19-2003, 11:31 AM
It hasnt gone. What u can do is install 10.2.6 on a seperate HD and boot to it, i know it sux...

Beamtracer
07-19-2003, 09:27 PM
It's a bit of a crisis, isn't it.

Ge4-ce
07-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Well,... I would buy an Nvidia.. But it is a little bit hard to put a new card into a Tibook

... Same story for the extra harddrive.. I do have a firewire disk from Lacie, but I never managed to boot from it.. Also .. that would be a lot of a mess.. 2 disks.. 2 operating systems..

AAAAAHHHHH!!! I sure hope's 10.2.7 makes this bug go away!!! or 7.5d..

thanx for the advice anyway!!

Greetings

Ge4-ce

Beamtracer
07-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Ge4-ce
AAAAAHHHHH!!! I sure hope's 10.2.7 makes this bug go away!!! or 7.5d..Hopefully. I bet you'll have to fork out US$120 bucks for Panther.

Ge4-ce
07-20-2003, 08:57 AM
hmmm... I'm afraid so.. but hey.. maybe they toss in a free G5 with panther? I don't know ;-)

js33
07-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Ge4-ce
Well,... I would buy an Nvidia.. But it is a little bit hard to put a new card into a Tibook
Ge4-ce

Sorry to hear about it being a laptop. :(

I think it should still be easy to replace video cards even in a laptop. $3000 is a lot of money to pay to have to settle for an incompatiable graphics card. Why doesn't Apple give you a choice on a laptop? I would never buy any hardware that is tied to an ATI graphics card with no choice of anything else.

Cheers,
JS

Ge4-ce
07-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by js33
Sorry to hear about it being a laptop. :(

I think it should still be easy to replace video cards even in a laptop. $3000 is a lot of money to pay to have to settle for an incompatiable graphics card. Why doesn't Apple give you a choice on a laptop? I would never buy any hardware that is tied to an ATI graphics card with no choice of anything else.

Cheers,
JS

Ok, I'm not going to start that discussion again.. Apple makes best products around.. being unable to put in another card into a laptop, well.. that does certainly not weight up to all the advantages I can think of!! Keep in mind that this bug is a software-bug.. since it did not occure in 10.2.4 or less! so they (newtek or apple) will fix it anyway..

js33
07-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Well ATI has had a long history of poor OpenGL performance and bad drivers so if you want to blame anyone you should probably start with ATI.

You can't blame Newtek when others using different display cards don't have the problems that you do.

I have nVidia cards in my 3 computers- 2 PCs and 1 iMac and I have no display problems on any of them.

My original question is why does Apple insist on using ATI in their laptops? Or give you no choice on graphic cards in their laptops.

Cheers,
JS

Ade
07-21-2003, 01:19 AM
I dont think Panther fixed the problem.

Ge4-ce
07-21-2003, 10:31 AM
who should fix the problem anyway? Apple, ATI or newtek? Why don't they work together and maybe the problem would have been fixed allready..

I agree that we should be able to choose the videocards in Apple's Laptops.. Then I indeed would have choosen nVidia..

Ge4-ce