PDA

View Full Version : It Shipped!!!!

Tony3d
03-29-2008, 07:07 AM
My new Mac Pro 2.8 is on the way!! Coming from a G5 2.7 dual I'm going to be disappointed if I'm not floored! Anybody have any benchmarks for me ha, please, anything? ^&* dam it shipped, $%^ dam the 2.8 shipped!

Chilton
03-29-2008, 07:52 AM
I think you'll be really, really happy with that system. And make sure you join the Open Beta if you're not already.

(I've been reading both of these boards so much lately, I can't remember where I saw who)

-Chilton

Tony3d
03-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Chilton, I will join after I get up and running. I'm really interested in the new Hair, and fur solution. Hopefully the results will improve. The flexibility looks good so far. What kind of stability problems am in for, and if an lScript runs fine on my PPC version, should it run ok on the Intel?

Chilton
03-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi,

Well, we're not really supposed to talk about the open beta outside of the beta forums. But lscripts run the same on both platforms, unless they're pre-compiled lscripts, then they'll only run on the platform they were compiled for.

-Chilton

Scazzino
03-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Right, most uncompiled LScripts should work OK unless they have any platform specific coding, like file path handling, that may not be multi-platform safe... and PPC vs. UB is basically two different platforms, even though both are Mac...

Tony3d
03-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm just going to lease both versions on my machine. Sounds like the safest bet.

JeffrySG
03-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Congrats on the new machine!!! I know you'll love it! :)

Tony3d
03-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Does anyone have benchmarks?

pauland
03-30-2008, 06:04 AM
When the new Mac arrives, let me know - I'll send you my address so you know where to send the old one.. ;-)

[Don't worry, I'll pay shipping]

Tony3d
03-30-2008, 07:48 AM
When the new Mac arrives, let me know - I'll send you my address so you know where to send the old one.. ;-)

[Don't worry, I'll pay shipping]

Funny. Funny Guy!

Tony3d
03-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I here there is a lot of changes I have to make coming from a G5 2.7 gig machine. I was told I have to re-initialize my external hard drives? Is this correct? If a program is not Universal Binary and I try to run it, could it corrupt the system. Will it tell me it's running under rosetta?

Chilton
03-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi,

I have never heard of having to reinitialize an external hard drive for moving between PPC and Intel. I have several PPCs and several Intels here, and never had to do that.

To answer your second question, you won't get any real indication that it's running in emulation other than the fact that it will be slower. If you want to double-check though, I believe the Activity Monitor will show which processes are running in Rosetta. And if you choose Get Info for the application in the Finder, it will say it there, too. Universal apps will also have a checkbox to run in emulation if you want.

HTH,
-Chilton