PDA

View Full Version : Moving an object on a path and controlling it's speed

Dirk
03-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi there,

how can I move an object along a path, intitally wiht a constant speed, but being able to change that speed afterwards. Additionally, I would like to use "sticky", if possible.

Let's say there would be a character in motion moxer with 4 animations:

Idle, walk, startwalk and stopwalk. All the animations take place on spot, the character has no movement (like it was made for a game engine).

The character shall walk along a curved path, like a curved mountain path with slopes. On some of the places, the character would stand there idle for some seconds.

My first idea would be to draw the path in the top view, use sticky to "drop" the character, and hand-key the rotation (or use align to path, also, "sticky" has an option for that, but it seems to produce errors on the banking axis from time to time).

problem is, the path defines not only the position, but also the timing. I would like to have that seperated, to prevent slipping feet and to be able to refine the action of the character in motion mixer, and only need to match the speed of the character to it's actions.

MooseDog
03-29-2008, 07:12 AM
if i understand right, this tutorial may help:

Master Channel (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77361)

Dirk
03-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks MooseDog, but I can't see how that would help: the MC is affecting the animation, but not the timing. I want it to be the other way round.

What comes close to what I want, but is relativly clumsy, is this:

make a bezier curve in modeler. Make sure to weld the curve(s) if it has several sections

export it as a motion path with "PathToMotion"

in Layout, add a Null or load an object. Load the motion file onto it.

make the null / object an actor in motion mixer, and make the whole animation a motion. Add the motion to the motion mixer timeline

Add a time warp curve to the motion.

With the time warp curve, You can change the speed of the object when it moves along the path.

Dirk
03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
I just realize that PathToMotion doesn't produce ideal results, since the speed curve isn't totally flat. Try PathToMotion+ from Dstrom instead, this will produce a totally flat speed curve.