PDA

View Full Version : Silo, Zbrush, 3d-Coat or Blender for displacement?

Costanel
03-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Hey there,

I've been looking for a decent displacement and painting program, and one that doesn't cost to much. Zbrush is cool and all, but a bit expensive for a student like me. So I prefer the other options.

I've been looking around, and found that especially 3d-coat(previously 3d brush), Silo and Blender(free!) are good programs for not too much money.
Zbrush is an option, but I'm not fond of the interface & price
3dcoat has an offer till the 31th of march that looks interesting.

Which of this programs would you recommend, and why?

Thanks in advance.

3DBob
03-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Hi Have ZBrush, 3D-Coat and Silo and have used Mudbox. For your needs I would whole-heartedly recommend 3D-Coat, it is developing at a breakneck speed - Andrew is very responsive to the requests from Lightwave users, and in my opinion its integration with Lightwave is near perfect compared to the other options. It loads and saves Native LWO with UVs and can even do morphs. It can paint too and has novel adaptive subdivision and baking built in.

ZBrush is king when it comes to High detail - but unless you are a fine art sculpter or worlk for ILM you will get 99% of what you need from 3DCoat.

3DBob

hrgiger
03-29-2008, 03:59 AM
I just picked up Z-Brush from DAZ for $300 during a promotion they had. Keep an eye out, you may just find another deal for it.

moc
03-29-2008, 04:21 AM
Hey there,

I've been looking for a decent displacement and painting program, and one that doesn't cost to much. Zbrush is cool and all, but a bit expensive for a student like me. So I prefer the other options.

I've been looking around, and found that especially 3d-coat(previously 3d brush), Silo and Blender(free!) are good programs for not too much money.
Zbrush is an option, but I'm not fond of the interface & price
3dcoat has an offer till the 31th of march that looks interesting.

Which of this programs would you recommend, and why?

Thanks in advance.

You'd better download the demo version to try first.
Which one's function was fulfill your need.

cresshead
03-29-2008, 06:00 AM
yeah try the demo's there all free except modo which is $25 [but you get video tutorials etc with that $25]

so go try:-
blender
silo
3dbrush
zbrush
modo
mudbox [15 day trial i think]

with that you'll have around 5 x 30days trial or around 5 months to try out your options for nr free [$25]

colkai
03-29-2008, 06:07 AM
3D-Coat, it's awesome and Andrew is no slouch in providing some very cool features and bug fixes in updates. Highly recommended.

IMI
03-29-2008, 06:10 AM
3D-Coat, it's awesome and Andrew is no slouch in providing some very cool features and bug fixes in updates. Highly recommended.

I never heard of 3d Coat before today and started thinking, man, these 3D sculpting/painting programs are popping out of the woodwork these days.
Didn't realize he'd changed the name from 3D Brush to 3D Coat. ;)

Steamthrower
03-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I'd buy 3D Coat this very instant if it was Mac-compatible. So I'm limited to exploring other venues.

- Zbrush is a step behind on Mac development (they just have version 2 out)
- Mudbox looks promising, but also Windows-only, and I've had bad experiences working with Autodesk apps
- Blender simply doesn't pan out. The quintessential interface deal...plus I don't need all the extraneous features
- Silo...well, I demo'd it, and I don't know...I just wasn't impressed. It was stable as a rock, yet I don't think it's near Zbrush's capabilities yet.

Any other programs out there that you guys know of?
-

cresshead
03-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Any other programs out there that you guys know of?
-

hexagon from daz

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/hexagon/-/?&_m=d

it's a bit buggy btw.

Steamthrower
03-29-2008, 08:43 AM
I don't know, I feel so bad using a Daz product. I tried both Daz Studio and Bryce a few years ago and kept wondering if they were professional programs or games. I'd feel bad when talking to a client and referring them to the tools I use..."go to daz3d.com and see this tool called Hexagon...you can find it lodged between renders of half-clothed pixies..."

IMI
03-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Inigo, you have a Windoze box or two, don't you?
Honestly, if you have a good Windoze machine, ZBrush 3.1 will knock your socks off.

Steamthrower
03-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah. I do. Three to be exact. Using Windows is sadomasochistic, is what it is, though. I like to keep all my stuff on one platform. Maybe that's just a losing way of going about things, though. I like working in Final Cut and not having to Boot Camp out of my nice pleasant Mac interface.

geothefaust
03-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Well, I've got to say that once you learn the interface of Zbrush, there is no going back. It's got great training material and a really good support forum as well. I think the price is right, IMHO. And, if you can find it on sale like HR said, you can usually snag it at decent price.

3D-Coat is cool, I used the version before it changed names. It's pretty top-notch as well, and the interface is easy-as-pie to learn.

SplineGod
03-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Id definately go with 3D Coat. What is does vs what it cost is too much to resist. :)

nemac4
03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
I jumped on with 3d-coat as well. I have zbrush3 and bodypaint3 but like SplineGod says, .. hard to resist with the features and price.

Costanel
03-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, I've tried ZBrush for a while, and I'm sure it's a very powerful program(especially version 3.1). The interface is somewhat hard to learn, but is quite good when you've learned the basics. My biggest problem with Zbrush is that Texture UV's maps are based on the subdivisions, not like real painting. (and I hate UV-ing)
The offer of DAZ btw, didn't you need a year platinum membership for that offer?
Is it neccessary to take a year subscription, or could I just take a month subscription and cancel it after that month? (Could be handy to know if Zbrush ever returns there. :))

I found out that Silo isn't an option though, the program oddly enough doesn't support painting!

People here a quite content with 3d-Coat, even more than I expected. For 89,- (about 55 euro) it's indeed a bargain. I hate the colours of the interface though, but that's not the selling point of the program I think. :D
I found that the displacements and subdivision isn't half as fast as Zbrush and sometimes does weird things with models. Featurewise it's quite good and it gets updates often.
I think 3d-coat is a very good start, and maybe I'll buy the full Zbrush in the future if needed.

Is the export of 3d-Coar decent btw, and does it make good UV's?

Thanks for the advice!

geothefaust
03-29-2008, 01:19 PM
To answer your Daz question:

Yes, you can take a month subscription and then cancel. That's what I did to get Hexagon. :D

SplineGod
03-29-2008, 01:59 PM
3D-Coat is very easy to pick up even without reading the manual.
Also of all the displacement painting options it supports LW far better then the others.
It will import/export LW objects, reads LWs UVs and will even create the node network for applying the normal maps. Andrew is also continuing to add more LW friendly features.

monovich
03-29-2008, 03:02 PM
wow. that last one got me Larry. It actually sets up the nodes for you? No brainer! I'm gettin' it!

adamredwoods
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
There's also

Blacksmith 3D - Mac & PC
http://www.blacksmith3d.com/index.htm

Which also offers a free painting-only version.

jin choung
04-05-2008, 04:44 PM
depends what you need it for.

zbrush3.1 is best in class. other apps can't touch it in of the amount of detail you can go into. not even mudbox... and that's saying something. this is my app of choice.

mudbox is next best. much more intuitive interface but as said, not as capable in terms of raw poly pushing. but close of course. also offers some neat features that zb only recently got (probably in response). costs more than zb though. ugh.

BLENDER is surprisingly capable and i've read in the silo forums that in terms of polys, it trumps silo2. not bad for FREE!

i also have silo2 and hex. silo2 is really quite good and affordable. but definitely not in league with the top 2 players and they would admit as much. but easy to use and offers traditional poly modeling (like lw) as well as sculpt functionality.

hexagon 2 just released an update but last time i used it it was pretty buggy.... but it offers some really nice spline modeling tools that seemed pretty unique. like silo2, it offers a traditional modeling workflow as well as sculpt.

i don't know anything about 3dcoat or modo.

while i don't regret purchasing hex or silo (especially silo, really good modeler), i ended up buying both in an attempt to save money - from having to get zb.... i often do this - try to save by getting the also rans to keep from getting best in class.... but it may, in the long run, not save you money and end up costing you more.

if you need best in class, do yourself a favor and just start there.

and if you don't, then you have a lot of choices.

jin

hrgiger
04-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I bought 3D coat before the price jumped to $120. At the rate at which Andrew seems to be adding features and improving the program, I figured I best jump on board before the price kept going up. Now that I have both Zbrush and 3Dcoat, I feel pretty covered.

IMI
04-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I haven't tried either mudbox or 3D Coat. Mudbox, I don't even know if there's a demo and see no reason to get it even if there is.
I think I tried a Silo demo once, but I'm not sure. You know you've demo'd too many things when you can't remember. ;) Safe to say I don't have a Silo opinion.

Hexagon... to be nice and respectful, I'll just say I hate it and I hope its code burns in Hell for all eternity. That's only because I want to be polite about it. ;)

Modo 301 (and now 302) has really cool sculpting tools. Not as varied or as controllable as ZBrush, but nice. Nowhere near as quick in OpenGL as ZBrush, but usable. Works nicely with a Wacom.

ZBrush now... where to begin? It's definitely the most addictive and fun 3D app I've ever used. I haven't regretted buying ZBrush for even a millisecond. Even the bizarre interface becomes normal very quickly. And its abilities for displacement and normal mapping are nowhere near equalled by all accounts. Gotta love that poly painting thing too.
Although it brings in OBJ models upside down and backwards, and you have to remember to flip the UV map and also tell it not to renumber your vertices... No idea exactly what app it was designed to play nice with, but if you remember those things you're OK.

I wasn't even aware Blender did sculpting. Am very much looking forward to the new interface for Blender I've been hearing about. Until then, I see Blender as I see a hieroglyphic translation of a Greek text translated into Latin. ;)

cresshead
04-06-2008, 01:40 PM
zbrush is nice...and fun to use/3dsketch in

IMI
04-06-2008, 01:44 PM
It will import/export LW objects, reads LWs UVs and will even create the node network for applying the normal maps. Andrew is also continuing to add more LW friendly features.

By this do you mean to say that it can deal with an object with multiple UV maps?
ZBrush, for example, can't create a correct displacement map for an OBJ file with overlapping UV's. Or rather possibly more correct, multiple UV layers.
However, for example, that same OBJ or LWO file can be painted on in Deep Paint 3D, regardless of multiple UV's or overlapping UV's (such as an OBJ file with multiple surfaces/UV's occupying the same 0-1 UV space), and the maps generated are correct.
Does 3D Coat generate separate displacement maps for each UV'd surface in a LWO file? Without having to compact all surfaces into one UV map?

manholoz
04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
There is one thing as to zbrush vs 3dcoat.
If you have an already subdivided model, for example, you want to re-texture a Poser model (*runs for cover*), or a plain old low poly thingy (a plain and simple brick wall), 3dcoat will be a better option than zbrush, because texturing in zbrush depends on the point density in a model, just like its sculpting. 3d-coat does not have this limitation.
However, sculpting in zbrush vs 3d-coat, I'm all for zbrush.

jin choung
04-06-2008, 03:30 PM
you can still subdivide the living crap out of the poser model in zb, use polypainting and then bake the polypainting to uvs. at that point, you get an image map that will map onto the low res model.

you could also "drop to canvas" to paint using image maps or use the zapplink to paint in photoshop.

but if you really wanted to paint image maps in a true 3d view for some reason, yeah, another solution should be sought.

jin

IMI
04-06-2008, 03:48 PM
but if you really wanted to paint image maps in a true 3d view for some reason, yeah, another solution should be sought.

Deep Paint 3D excels at that. The cool thing about that app is you don't have to tell it what image map or UV map you're using (such as you have to do in modo), it just does it. Excellent for LWO objects with multiple UV's, and the projection painting mode paints over seams nicely.
Assuming you have a good UV map that is - it can't perform miracles with lousy mapping. ;)
The downside to DP3D is it interpolates paint strokes between vertices according to your UV map. Modo, in contrast, seems to be actually painting in 2D on the image map, according to resolution, while giving the impression of 3D painting.

Jin, most of the Poser models suffer from that layered UV thing, and ZB doesn't take well to baking polypaint down to something like that. Far as I know. I discovered that because I was so used to not worrying about having a model fully mapped with one UV in the 0-1 UV space.

IMI
04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Damn edit time limit. :cursin:

What I meant was if you export a LWO with multiple UV maps as OBJ, the individual maps are each "layered" into one UV map, so while they stay intact, they still appear as one massive overlapping UV map.
Seems as though LW used to export only the first map in the vertex maps list, but that seems to have changed somewhere along the way.

SplineGod
04-06-2008, 05:01 PM
3d coat supports LW and its formats the best of all of them.
It will directly import and export .lwo files including those with multiple UVs.
It can also create UVs for you. It will also export .lwo with endomorphs.
It also creates the LW node network to use the normal maps as well.
As others have pointed out Andrew seems to update and improve it at a breakneck pace. I can barely keep up with the changes.
Its also very intuitive to use. :)

IMI
04-06-2008, 05:07 PM
3d coat supports LW and its formats the best of all of them.
It will directly import and export .lwo files including those with multiple UVs.
It can also create UVs for you. It will also export .lwo with endomorphs.
It also creates the LW node network to use the normal maps as well.
As others have pointed out Andrew seems to update and improve it at a breakneck pace. I can barely keep up with the changes.
Its also very intuitive to use. :)

Really?
You caught my attention with those bits about normal maps and endomorphs. Might be time to check it out. :)

SplineGod
04-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Andrew has come on here before asking for features people would like to see.
Hes probably the most responsive to LWavers and I think people like that who have
a good product should be supported.

I would download the demo version, manual and take a look at the feature list. :)

IMI
04-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Larry, yeah, I think I will do just that. I love ZB, but anything specifically designed for LW is a plus of course.
Using ZB by itself is cool beyond words.
Using ZB with LW is... well, it is what it is. ;)

Dodgy
04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Having just tried the Blacksmith demo, i can't say it works as well or is as fully featured as 3dCoat, so definitely on a budget go with 3d Coat. Zbrush is faster, and able to cope with more polys, but a lot more expensive.

hrgiger
04-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Andrew has come on here before asking for features people would like to see.
Hes probably the most responsive to LWavers and I think people like that who have
a good product should be supported.

Agreed.

I've been caught up in the excitement over the fast paced development of this program. I bought in while the price was good. Of course, it's still good at it's current price of $120.

michael roach
04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I have spent the last cpl weeknights (on and off as time permits) checking out these sculpting/painting programs. I am a hobbiest, but do put all my love into my hobby.

I agree with what Larry (splinegod) has said on this one entirely. 3D-Coat deserves to be supported because it is a really good program, especially if your integrating with Lightwave, at an entirely great price/value point.

Also, I for one am ALWAYS for the little guy, especially when against the odds (of the deep pocketed competition) they manage to produce viable products. I can afford to buy anything on the market, but will gladly give my money to Andrew who's program fullfulls my needs entirely.

I dont have time to spend trying to figure out how to get my models back and forth between applications and get the results to look as I intended from one to the other. I would rather spend my time enjoying my hobby than figuring all that crap out, and this program makes it easy for me to do just that.

Mike

alvin_cgi
04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
3d coat is interesting... wondering what was the special price? Is 120 the special offer now?? Thanks

adamredwoods
04-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Having just tried the Blacksmith demo, i can't say it works as well or is as fully featured as 3dCoat, so definitely on a budget go with 3d Coat. Zbrush is faster, and able to cope with more polys, but a lot more expensive.

Interesting. I didn't find Blacksmith3d as hot either. I'll try the 3DCoat demo next.

waly
04-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Definitely 3D coat, because u ll get used to it for only hour or two, it has great interface beside the interface the support is outstanding. I use to experience a bug on my PC and i send the bug to andrew and after a few hours they send me a resolved version of 3D coat. 5 star support. And for the price man it s like giving you a treasure and asking nothing for return.

sculptactive
04-09-2008, 03:39 AM
I use zbrush and 3dcoat.

If I was starting out fresh and I needed Displacement/Normal Maps for use in LW I would definitely just buy 3dcoat.

Costanel
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, all your responses certainly made my choice a lot easier, I bought 3dCoat.
(before the 89,- offer ended)
Haven't got much time to play with it at the moment, but I'm going to play a lot with it in the near future.

Very cool program, the export function really works well and all the images are saved in the LWO. It's faster than I expected, especially with painting and images. The image painting function is perfect!

Only thing I would like is that already applied textures show in 3dCoat and some models show funky(partly) in 3dCoat. But looking at the 3dcoat forum, a fix for this is already in the works. An update almost every month, amazing!

Funnily enough Andrew says that "one week" is a lot for adding a new feature. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
04-09-2008, 01:15 PM
3d coat is interesting... wondering what was the special price? Is 120 the special offer now?? Thanks

It's the regular price right now. I think Andrew is slowly raising the price as the program grows. It's a good opportunity to get in on a new program, from the ground floor as it were.

Mr Rid
07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
To answer your Daz question:

Yes, you can take a month subscription and then cancel. That's what I did to get Hexagon. :D

...not to mention you get a lot of other discounted stuff with a Daz membership. I grabbed many useful models that were cheap, $1.99, or free to members.

Daz stuff is buggy but there are some surprisingly innovative little tools that spring up from the determination to make it easy for non-artists, that more "pro" apps could learn from (am trying the free version of FaceShop at the moment). Daz models and support base have saved the day on a few recent productions I worked.

jaf
07-01-2008, 06:36 PM
3D-Coat! The normal request for 3D Navigator support (that appears in nearly every 3D Graphics product forum) was implemented by Andrew within days when he acquired one.

This is just a small example of his response to customer requests.

Philbert
07-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Yes it seems like you ask for a feature and within a couple of days Andrew has implemented it.

adrian
07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
With Zbrush if you wanted to create a model from scratch, can you load in a reference picture and sculpt from that?

Just wondering because I saw an online video about it and this guy was talking about how he creates his characters entirely within ZB. From what I've seen of Mudbox (a few hours of playing with it) you can't do that.

cresshead
07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
With Zbrush if you wanted to create a model from scratch, can you load in a reference picture and sculpt from that?

Just wondering because I saw an online video about it and this guy was talking about how he creates his characters entirely within ZB. From what I've seen of Mudbox (a few hours of playing with it) you can't do that.

ZBrush has zsphere's to create models with as will as primatives such as a plane , box, cylinders and ball.
and yes you can sculpt from a plane and there's image planes too.

mudbox i believe needs you to import a base mesh to work on, though i've not tried the demo myself as yet.

jin choung
07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
yeah, you can load reference pics onto planes.

jin

CMT
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Also with ZBrush you can piece a model together if needed as subtools, then retopo the whole thing as one clean seamless model. Then project the 3D details onto the unified mesh. It's a different approach where the artistic part comes first, rather than the technical part or creating the polyflow comes second. Pretty cool.

bobakabob
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Yep in ZBrush you have a range of options.

Sculpt entirely from scratch using Zspheres
Import a basic mesh low poly mesh from LW for sculpting
Import a more detailed LW mesh and add subtle displacements and textures

Personally I like to have a more complete mesh to import into ZB for texturing but visit ZBrush Central and you'll be blown away by artists who model and texture directly in ZBrush. Meats Meiers work is wonderful for its sheer sponteneity.

Philbert
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Also with ZBrush you can piece a model together if needed as subtools, then retopo the whole thing as one clean seamless model. Then project the 3D details onto the unified mesh. It's a different approach where the artistic part comes first, rather than the technical part or creating the polyflow comes second. Pretty cool.

You can do that in the current 3DC beta as well. Some aspects are named a little differently, but it's the essentially same thing. Well I don't think you can unify the meshes, but I think soon options like that will be available.

adrian
07-03-2008, 02:45 AM
I've been to the Zbrush site - wow!!! Some of the artwork there is beyond stunning.

I'm going to try both 3d Coat and Zbrush (I've downloaded both the demos but not installed them yet). My only reservation with Zbrush is my lack of traditional artistic talent. I am assuming you need traditional drawing/sculpting skills to create anything worthwhile?

Then again I might be surprised just as I was when I first started using TrueSpace and then LightWave. They allow me to overcome/bypass my lack of drawing ability.

However I'm hoping (expecting?) to be able to use Zbrush in conjunction with LW to add insane detail to my organic models - the reason I tried Mudbox but it sounds like Zbrush might work a little better with LW.

scratch33
07-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Have picked up Zbrush from DAZ.

Fantastic. Love it.

Modo is also good and take a very good place in lightwave's workflow.

bobakabob
07-03-2008, 03:44 AM
I've been to the Zbrush site - wow!!! Some of the artwork there is beyond stunning.

I'm going to try both 3d Coat and Zbrush (I've downloaded both the demos but not installed them yet). My only reservation with Zbrush is my lack of traditional artistic talent. I am assuming you need traditional drawing/sculpting skills to create anything worthwhile?

Then again I might be surprised just as I was when I first started using TrueSpace and then LightWave. They allow me to overcome/bypass my lack of drawing ability.

However I'm hoping (expecting?) to be able to use Zbrush in conjunction with LW to add insane detail to my organic models - the reason I tried Mudbox but it sounds like Zbrush might work a little better with LW.

Traditional drawing and sculpting skills are certainly beneficial but its surprising how many good 3D out there artists can't draw for toffee :) Drawing does give you the advantage of sketching out ideas and lifedrawing can't help but improve your sense of anatomy.

Nangleator
07-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Just downloaded 3D Coat last night and started to play.

I have an old system. Only 1 gig RAM. The video card is a GeForce 5600, I think, with 128MB. The app ran a bit slowly, and I think that might be a bad thing for a sculpting program. I haven't yet looked to see if there are optimization settings.

But I do want to get in early! And looking at the ZBrush pictures, I feel like I've fallen far behind in technology and it's going to be hard to catch up.

One question, I've noticed that 3D Coat supports tablets pretty well. Is a tablet or mouse pen crucial for a sculpter?

Philbert
07-03-2008, 11:49 AM
for using a program like this I would say yes, a tablet is a must. Similar to attempting to do a drawing or painting in Photoshop with a mouse.

As for your machine, you didn't mention your CPU speed, but I think you're just barely meeting the system requirements, which would explain it going slow.

Nangleator
07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Two dual core 3 GHz chips. Not bad, for a 4 year old system.

Philbert
07-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh ok, well that should be no problem. Could be the video card then. 3DC works like a game so it's very intensive on the video card. Make sure you have the latest drivers.

Dodgy
07-03-2008, 04:16 PM
That should be fast enough, I use a p4 running at 3.4 GHz, and that's plenty fast enough. It does slow down though if you have a huge poly carcass (like 1 million polys) and a large brush. Something you might want to check.

adrian
07-04-2008, 02:17 AM
I tried Zbrush yesterday and went through some of the tuts on Zbrush classroom. Within a few minutes I knew I was going to like this program WAY more than Mudbox. The interface is similar to how TrueSpace was if I remember correctly, so I felt quite at home with it.

I even loaded my LW mesh I tried with Mudbox and Zbrush did not deform it in the way MB did. The only problem I had with it was when loading back into LW after doing a few deformations. The base mesh was nice and smooth but the sculpts I had done were still low poly, so I had to SUB-D again on an already very dense mesh. Maybe I'm not following the correct workflow?

Does anyone know of any Zbriush --> LW tuts? I've had a quick look but as yet can't find any (Gnomon workshop doesn't have any). I know the fact that LW is not that well supported with ZB has been discussed but there must be a way to use it as I've seen work here done with it.

So all in all my first impressions are WOW, I love this app. If I can use it in conjunction with LW effectively, then I will definately be buying this.

Next up on my list of "to-try" apps is 3D Coat.

Philbert
07-04-2008, 03:12 AM
So what you're saying is that TrueSpace also has a bad interface? :p

As for LW - ZB I've never tried it but I understand there's a plugin called ZWave that is supposed to make things easier.

MikeUnderwood
07-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Zbrush. It's by far the most powerful tool on the market, at the moment, for sculpting. Texturing is a breeze with the integration of Photoshop through ZappLink. It's also the current industry standard. Saying you are proficient in Zbrush on your resume probably goes a lot further than proficiencies in other programs.

MikeUnderwood
07-04-2008, 03:47 AM
For ZB to LW tutorials, check out Steve Warners site at www.stevewarner.com It's a little dated as all the info pertains to LW 9.0. Some of the steps aren't need anymore with LW9.3, such as the Zwave plugin that Phil mentioned. It's super simple to get your maps back into LW now. You can also check out Sean Joseph's article in Issue 20 of HDRI, which has all the intructions you need to get your stuff back into 9.3. Feel free to PM me if you can't figure something out.

adrian
07-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Nice one, thanks :thumbsup:

TrueSpace has a bad interface?! Never! I loved that app :) I guess it's not to some people's tastes though (of course I don't know what the current version of TS is like having stopped using it at version 4.3).

bobakabob
07-04-2008, 06:32 PM
ZB has the advantage of having a renderer, which means, for still images, once you've gone through the trouble of building and / or texturing your model you don't necessarily have to export it to LW if you're already seeing good results. It produces crisp immediate images.

Good to see Newtek have worked hard to integrate ZB into potential pipelines and following Steve Warner's tutorials for importing displacement and normal maps is pleasantly reassuring... things actually work!

Philbert
07-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I was actually just talking with Andrew about that. He wants to incorporate a renderer into 3DC because the way it works doesn't always allow for really clean smooth edges in OGL (or DX), so you're never completely sure what you're getting until you export. I've never tried it but I know the Aqsis renderer is open source so I suggested that to start.

Tony_R_B
07-05-2008, 03:44 AM
I don't know, I feel so bad using a Daz product. I tried both Daz Studio and Bryce a few years ago and kept wondering if they were professional programs or games. I'd feel bad when talking to a client and referring them to the tools I use..."go to daz3d.com and see this tool called Hexagon...you can find it lodged between renders of half-clothed pixies..."

To be fair Daz isn't for the professional, it's for the wannabe. Pixies and fairies, darn it kill 'em all!

I am self-taught via Poser and yes a lot of Daz products, but I have no interest (other than small time sales of models) in the Pro arena. But were I a Pro with a client list - I would take your stance.

Daz is moving to being more of a force in the industry at some point - its stable grows; still has teething problems on support and development - that will come. Do I welcome that; yes and no. Yes - why shouldn't they? No - they have this whole marketing approach that frankly gets right up my nose.

And then there are the pixies.... :D

On topic 3D Coat - I love it and the support is first rate.

AbnRanger
07-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Zbrush. It's by far the most powerful tool on the market, at the moment, for sculpting. Texturing is a breeze with the integration of Photoshop through ZappLink. It's also the current industry standard. Saying you are proficient in Zbrush on your resume probably goes a lot further than proficiencies in other programs.That certainly is the case at present, but with Mudbox having been out awhile, and all the other "Hey, I can Sculpt and Paint, too" applications coming on strong, I doubt many studios will give a flying flip "what" you use, as long as you happen to be very proficient with it. Buying an inexpensive copy of 3DC to let you do your "Thang" will be an easier decision than turning you down because they happen to prefer ZBrush.

Mr Rid
07-06-2008, 01:49 AM
To be fair Daz isn't for the professional, it's for the wannabe. Pixies and fairies, darn it kill 'em all!

Well it is only good for professionals who dont mind upsetting the cheap-fast-quality triangle to obtain not-to-specific, hi-rez human, prop, and architectural models for, yes, even final shots in big budget studio movies and TV as well as for previz.

Am always glad to offer examples when the 'Daz/Poser are for troglodytes' thing comes up-

Daz is moving to being more of a force in the industry at some point - its stable grows; still has teething problems on support and development - that will come. Do I welcome that; yes and no. Yes - why shouldn't they? No - they have this whole marketing approach that frankly gets right up my nose.

When the app is free of course they have to make money pushing the content. But I dont find their marketing approach to be the least bit nasal. :)

cresshead
07-06-2008, 01:58 AM
I agree with MR Rid,
Daz is a very cool company and they offer some some very cool software/models.

and some amazing price deals...like for hexagon, mimic plus zbrush

Philbert
07-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Actually if I want something to give me a human shape that I can then take into another program to build on I think prefer Make Human (http://www.makehuman.org/blog/index.php).

Chrizto
02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
If cash is an issue, and functionality is a must, I would say 3D Coat is "best of both worlds" (now I hear Miley Cyrus in my head..).

It's the most feature packed solution, for the cost of a solid night on town.

I have a license for Mudbox 2009, but when working with LW, 3DC is much better. It's a no-brainer, just do it.:thumbsup:

rommany
07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Zbrush is top 5 software of all time.
But for 1 guy to even be a contender with this is awesome.
I will buy 3d coat just out of respect.

Vincenzo
07-03-2009, 08:05 PM
SplineGod;

So you moved to New Zealand? Are you working with hobbits?

jin choung
07-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Well it is only good for professionals who dont mind upsetting the cheap-fast-quality triangle

it doesn't upset it. it proves it.

it's not very good. period. that "non-specific" means in other words - GENERIC. that is the synonym.

it looks generic and is usually instantly identifiable as generic. make no mistake - it fools NO ONE... or at least no one who's eye deserves any respect. it is INSTANTLY RECOGNIZABLE AS GENERIC.

and this is not new... it used to be called STOCK FOOTAGE.

it is no worse and no better than that. STOCK FOOTAGE for cg.

jin

Greenlaw
07-03-2009, 11:02 PM
I'd buy 3D Coat this very instant if it was Mac-compatible.

It is.

Greenlaw

Greenlaw
07-03-2009, 11:48 PM
My preference has been for 3D Coat for a couple of years now. I should also add that I haven't used ZBrush or Mudbox in about that long. At the time, I found ZBrush frustrating to work with if I didn't keep using it everyday, and Mudbox was only a displacement modeler and not a texture painting program, and I was really more interested in painting textures and normal maps. Back then, 3D-Brush (now 3D-Coat) covered it all and it was much easier to learn and use.

Of course, in two years, things have changed much with all three programs. They've all improved greatly, but I've been happily using 3D-Coat and don't feel a need to upgrade the other two right now.

My favorite features in 3D Coat are the projection painting tools, flexible layering system, and the retopology tools (almost worth the price alone!) I've dabbled with the voxel painting and think it has a lot of potential, but I haven't used it for production work yet.

This is only my personal opinion of course. Each programs works very differently, so you should download the demos and just see which one works best for you.

Greenlaw