PDA

View Full Version : beowulf dvd review

cresshead
03-28-2008, 06:41 PM
beowulf:-

okay mini review

cgi

hit n miss>>

some is amazing and awesome...the main characters friend the one with the beard that's braded looks photoreal...amazing job there.

the main character is hit n miss...and most other characters look like they came from cut scenes in a xbox360 or ps3 game..same with the sets..some were really quite poor..and the attention to detail could have been much better..some of the props looks really surprisingly poor in construction and textuiring/lighting

i'd say on the whole it's a step backwards from final fantasy spirits within
mainly due to how far cgi has come scince then...i'd expect better quaility and a consistent level at that.

the troll however was AMAZING...some fantastic zbrush work or whatever they used.

i'm sure this would have been a much better film with live action characters as some of the performances looked like dead eyed plastic dolls at time...though there were exceptions where whoever WAS animating that character really did a great job....that however was the exception and not the rule sadly.

the camera swoop by the snow covered fields when it came really low we had ''perfect'' cg straight blades of grass...surly they could have spent 2 hours making that bit look realistic and not like a bunch of polygon prickles...

on the whole i'd say attention to details were lacking and consistency on cgi was below what i expected for a 2007 film.

story was okay.

overall... 6 out of 10

pumeco
03-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Jonathan Ross :D

I've seen 'almost' all of the live action movie but I've never seen the CG version. As for the bad animating and stuff, I think that's something we're all gonna have to get used to in this industry. It's the same everywhere really; it's not what you know - it's who you know. People often get jobs even if they're totally clueless at their trade and the result you get, is what you speak of.

I just wish the Jim Henson Company would hurry up and finish their sequel to The Dark Crystal (absolutely LOVE that movie). They're even going to use mechanical puppets like they did on the original. That's the sort of movie where I think everything will be done right, and let's face it, they've got a really hard job in making sequel as good as the original deserves.

Matt
03-28-2008, 07:19 PM
I thought the swinging tats on that wench scrubbing the table was particularly well done!

:D

cresshead
03-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I thought the swinging tats on that wench scrubbing the table was particularly well done!

:D

well i won't argue with that comment...
as for the placed objects covering up mr 'b' i found them to be silly and just distracted for the film..they took you out of the movie and so didn't help the film in any way.

the 'direction' seems to be for a 3d projected movie....was this show in '3d' capable cinema's with polorised specs etc?...lots of pointy sticks into the camera lens leads me to think it was a 3d/3d movie if you know what i mean:D

it was okay...but not a massive moment in 3d animated films.

JamesCurtis
03-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I had the opportunity to see the movie in a 3D theater, and I have to say that I loved it that way!! too bad the DVD isn't done in 3D!!

jin choung
03-28-2008, 10:19 PM
yeah, i thought it was ok.

as in spirits within, older people look better (or at least more real). sometimes jolie looked SQUASHED... especially at the end... don't get why that is.

horses looked fing awful. wtf! in this day and age! this made me gasp at how bad it was in a big budget hollywood movie almost as badly as the finale crash in 'airforce one'.

yah, grendel was zbrush.

and yes, if you COULD HAVE shot live actors, why the f didn't you?! if it doesn't have to be CG, what was the point?

the lead graphics guy said he "doesn't believe in the uncanny valley." he should turn around - it's the thing gnawing on his a$s.

jin

iconoclasty
03-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I saw it in 3d at the theaters as well but the 3d effect just gave me a headache. And I agree that Beowulf's nude scene was completely distracting.

the troll however was AMAZING...some fantastic zbrush work or whatever they used.

By "troll" I assume you mean Grendel. I thought this was a horrible character design choice. They took a primeval, terrifying creature and turned him into a whining leper.

avkills
03-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I thought Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, was entirely better than Beowulf. Just about everything was subpar and was a definite step backwards in Beowulf.

-mark

IgnusFast
03-29-2008, 11:50 PM
I have to agree with most of the comments here-- I liked the dragon, and I actually really liked the older Queen (the younger one just made me laugh when they showed her, she was so unrealistic). I thought the hero Beowulf model was amazing. But beyond that, it was just plain bad.

cresshead
03-30-2008, 05:47 AM
I saw it in 3d at the theaters as well but the 3d effect just gave me a headache. And I agree that Beowulf's nude scene was completely distracting.

By "troll" I assume you mean Grendel. I thought this was a horrible character design choice. They took a primeval, terrifying creature and turned him into a whining leper.

i like the detail in the design...it reminded me of 'billy' from deep rising which was a similar slimy/skinned design..i thought the idea of sounds that set him off was new/interesting.

the dragon was good
the surf/water was good
beowulf's best friend was photoreal unlike beowulf who looked plasicty and pumped full of steriods.

some of the set's/props would look poor in a wii game:screwy:

and some of the camera direction was at time's childish and totally took the viewer out of the story and shouted in their ear...HERE'S a camera FX SHOT...LOOK LOOK!!!

i'd expect better from the diector of castaway...mind you he let polar express out the door so who know's!...coudl be the budget was bursting so they had to cut corners and just 'get the film out'...they may not have wanted another
box office loss like sprits within just to get it 'right'.

in the end my thoughts on the film were, it was okay..nothing great, had many cool and poor bits...the 3d camera moves do not transfer well at all to dvd...the make the film look like a tacky party game in those moments

they are moving forward but that director has a lot to learn...he's plying his trade in open public..taking steps forward and stumbling as we watch him make these performace capture films..some work okay [monster house] some look terrible [polar express]....in the end i think he's hoping to be the director to move cinema into 3d character driven films...

my thoughts are that he won't be the one to do it.
in starwars there were some good 3d characters..not all...but some.

james cameron will be my best bet...he's busy making avatar.:thumbsup:

crashnburn
03-30-2008, 06:49 PM
It looked to me like they had not learned anything from the slating they took for Polar Express. I definately agree that Grendel was way wrong. But since the whole story has only a poem as it's source artisic licence is bound to creep in however good or bad.

Visually the film was an improvement over polar express, but I think they seriously need a restructure in their animation department as there seemed to be little development.

You only have to look at some of the work on this forum to see that many amateur 3d artists could easily do better than that level of work.