PDA

View Full Version : Circular texture tool?

Exception
03-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey all,

How does one make a orthogonal tiled texture into a circular one?
I have found a way by mapping it to a cyclinder that is pinched on one end and rendering it out, but this way it only gets larger and larger the further it goes out, and is cumbersome and slow at best.

Any free tools for this?

cheers,

gerry_g
03-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Do you mean like polar coordinates in PS or am I being dim, there's also a Flaming Pair filter that does all sorts of odd wrapping modes called flexify2 (I think)

Exception
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Polar coordinates is only useful if you want one image to be completely circular. It doesn't tile the image progressively towards the outside.

Attached image shows the first step: it tiles and is circular, however it doesn't add more tiles on the outside to more or less make all tiles the same size.

gerry_g
03-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I meant like this, quality is crap due to the compression required to produce the effect but it works

colkai
03-29-2008, 05:56 AM
The only trick I know to convert flat to curved is Dave Jerrards of turning the surface into a very tiny cone.
this is a disc, bevelled inwards and the "top" is only 0.1mm from the base.
Maybe you could use nodes to affect the image scale based on height, or am I talking rubbish? :p

bjornkn
03-29-2008, 07:03 AM
To avoid scaling up as it goes outwards I am not aware of any tools that will do it.
As I'm a big SketchUp fan I would just make a quick model and add some texturing either in SU or PS (or both).
Then it's very easy and fast to make variations, and you have full control of the sizes etc. Like in this traight-edge test where each is approximately the same size, but with varying angles for each row.
Much faster than fiddling around in PS.

Medi8or
03-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Here's a scene with cone + nodes solution. Needs to be tuned a bit to get the tiling right, but that shouldn't be too hard I think..

( I misread Colkais message, so this cone is flattened with endomorph.. )

"!()?%?!! give us a sec, that one didn't work..

Medi8or
03-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Here it is.. :D

Exception
03-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks media8or, that does work wonderfully. The problem is that the texture needs to be super large to cover the entire area, so I was hoping for some kind of procedural solution.

zapper1998
03-29-2008, 01:03 PM
IFW2 Textures

Exception
03-29-2008, 01:43 PM
IFW2 Textures

Do you have anything specific in mind? That suite of textures looks powerful but from the website there's nothing I can find that would allow me to transform a texture in the way I'm looking for.

zapper1998
03-29-2008, 02:19 PM
you looking for a orthogonal tiled texture for a floor correct?

Exception
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
you looking for a orthogonal tiled texture for a floor correct?

Er... no. *throws squirrel at zapper*
Looking for a way to map a texture in a concentric pattern. See the examples in the thread.

Medi8or
03-29-2008, 03:12 PM
But, but... Why the need for supersized texture, when it tiles?

Anyway, the above example works with cylindrical UV map too, just replace the "Vector Scalar" node with a "Distance" node (distance to center of circle).

zapper1998
03-29-2008, 03:20 PM
What I meant to say was ......
*...Throws Squirrel back....*

Using a Precedural Texture to do it?? maybe...??

Exception
03-29-2008, 08:10 PM
But, but... Why the need for supersized texture, when it tiles?

Because that only works when it's mapped onto a squashed cone. I need to apply it to a whole shebang of different geometry.

Using a Precedural Texture to do it?? maybe...??

Yeah but it's unclear to me which one in IFW2 would allow me to map images in this fashion. The procedurals don't seem as if they take images as an input, and if they do, I don't see anything that could come close to what I need.
*stuffs 10 squirrels in pillowcase*

shadersrjj
03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
IFW2 Nodal would be useful because it can be used to map/remap other textures or images. I have attached an example. Basically, I have IFW2 BathTile being radially mapped. This is then remapping a star to each tile (this could be an image or whatever). In addition, each star is being randomly rotated and coloured (again, using IFW2 Nodal). Using this technique along with the other "remapping" textures all sorts of texture/images variations can be created.

RJJ
www.shaders.co.uk

Exception
03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
That would indeed be handy.
Weepul has posted a solution in the LW beta section though, so it turns out it can be done within native nodal too, but its quite a bit more complex.

starbase1
04-01-2008, 05:39 AM
IFW2 is an absolute bargain, and LOADED with presets - the panels in particular are a real strength, and worth the package price on their own in my opinion... Couldn't live without them!

Nick

(No connection, but a very happy customer).