PDA

View Full Version : HD Image Maps or SD for HD Output

massmusic
03-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Working a project which requires the final out put to be 1080i. I?m just rendering the files, not creating the DVD.

It?s a scene that has a background animation (in 1080i) and many projection mapped polygons, most of which are of still SD images. Two of the pollies have a LW animated image sequence.

Should I render those sequences as 1080i or should I save time rendering in SD since the pollies will never get close to the camera?

I did a test but could only sample it on my computer monitors and I can't tell much of a difference. I don?t have access to a HD or Blu-Ray burner or player that I could use to test it on my HD TV and so far, I?ve been unable to find anyone in my area who can burn the scene for me to inspect.

What to do?

fgreen
03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Depends on the size of the polys. If they are bigger than SD resolution (720 x 480 for DV or about 1/8 of the total 1080i screen area) than the extra resolution is wasted, as LW will resample the projection down to a size appropriate to the polys. If the polys get bigger than SD resolution within the HD frame, LW will have to resample up to more resolution, making the clarity of rotoscoping degrade, as the upsampling increases.

(Is this what you are talking about?)

massmusic
03-29-2008, 03:41 PM
The polys (squares) will be planar image mapped with CG imagery