PDA

View Full Version : Render Time = 150 Hours!?

FrankLP
03-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi all,
I'm a LW9.3 Newbie so please hang with me on this...
I have what I think is fairly simple scene here. It is an 800 frame scene (so that it lasts about 27 seconds) that includes the following:

10 clones of a 3D rose
7 pictures in frames
8 volumetric spot lights; using shadow map (not ray trace)
2 area lights
1 graphic used as a floor
Environment is just all black so that these elements appear to be suspended in space
Running Win XP Pro with an AMD Athlon 64 4000+; 3G RAM; and a Radeon 9550.

Should this really take 150 hours to render? What do I need to do to shorten this render time?

Any help is appeciated. Thanks!

iconoclasty
03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
How many polys? Any raytraced reflection, transparency or caustics going on?

FrankLP
03-28-2008, 07:52 AM
How many polys? Any raytraced reflection, transparency or caustics going on?

Polys = 157,923
Ray Trace = none
Cuastics = off

colkai
03-28-2008, 08:09 AM
That comes in at under 11 mins a frame, which on the face of it, isn't too bad.
However, if it is a simple scene and you have no raytrace options on, that sounds a lot.
Obvious question, what sort of resolution is each frame?

tektonik
03-28-2008, 08:20 AM
pop an athlon x2 in your system

it will cost you about 80$
:)

Andyjaggy
03-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Your on a slow computer and your rendering 800 frames. Sorry, that's how it is. :)

FrankLP
03-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It sounds like I'll just have to upgrade my hardware to speed things up. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something (workflow & settings wise) stupid/uneccessarily that was increasing my render times.

zapper1998
03-28-2008, 09:15 AM
you always could send it to a render farm, probably would not cost much...

Your on a slow computer and your rendering 800 frames. Sorry, that's how it is. :)
Thats funny

RollerJesus
03-28-2008, 09:21 AM
you always could send it to a render farm, probably would not cost much...

...or add some more slow systems and make your own render farm. screamernet setup kinda sucks at first though.

Andyjaggy
03-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Screamernet. Ah. That's funny. Good luck with that!

Andyjaggy
03-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Screamernet. Ah. That's funny. Good luck with that!

It works but I highly recommend a third party controller as the built in screamer commander is a piece of sh*%.

markschum
03-28-2008, 09:57 AM
11 minutes a frame - overhead creating an avi file seems a lot for a simple scene . I would render a few scenes as single frames and get the times it takes. If its near 10 minutes then thats what its going to take .

What image size are you rendering ?

What level of antialiasing are you using . ? Thats the one thing that seems to me to be the biggest hit on rendering times .

Sensei
03-28-2008, 10:44 AM
8 volumetric spot lights; using shadow map (not ray trace)
2 area lights

These two things are slowing down rendering a lot..
Area light has Quality parameter in Light Properties window, you can lower it to see whether it's still acceptable look..
Same with volumetric lights.. They're probably the most time consuming thing in LW that I have seen.. Lower their quality and see how test render look like..
Are you rendering with AA in Perspective Camera? Try lower number of passes plus adaptive sampling..

colkai
03-28-2008, 11:20 AM

That's me stuffed then, a mere 3800+ :p
All relative, my last Pc was an 1800+ so for me it' fast. ;)

FrankLP
03-28-2008, 12:33 PM
These two things are slowing down rendering a lot..
Area light has Quality parameter in Light Properties window, you can lower it to see whether it's still acceptable look..
Same with volumetric lights.. They're probably the most time consuming thing in LW that I have seen.. Lower their quality and see how test render look like..
Are you rendering with AA in Perspective Camera? Try lower number of passes plus adaptive sampling..

I disabled the Volumetric Option for all the lights; eliminated one area light; scaled everything down by about 50%; and reduced the frames to 500 (figuring I can probably adjust the speed in After Effects or Vegas).

Those changes dropped my rendering time from 11 minutes a frame to about 1 min 20 sec a frame. Although I'd prefer to keep the volumetric effect, the reduction in time is more critical at this point.

iconoclasty
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
What do you mean by "scaled everything down by about %50"? Do you mean your output resolution?

FrankLP
03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
What do you mean by "scaled everything down by about %50"? Do you mean your output resolution?

No actually the size of all the graphic elements. This may not have had any effect, but I thought I'd give it a try. It certainly reduced the distance of camera travel as well as the overall "environment" size.

Like I said...I'm a newbie trying to figure all this out, so I probably know just enough to make more work for myself! :screwy: