PDA

View Full Version : Anyone build an 8 core pc?

Speedmonk42
03-27-2008, 06:51 PM
There don't seem to be too many options for this.

The boards seem very expensive.

Anyone try this yet?

avkills
03-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Just get a Mac Pro, less heart-ache and all the assembly has been done for you... unless of course you can't live without SLI/Crossfire or Quad SLI aka Skulltrail. ;)

-mark

dwburman
03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
or need any legacy ports or slots (parallel port, pci, pci-x, agp :)

The Mac is a good box tho... and competitively priced for the features you get.

Just get a Mac Pro, less heart-ache and all the assembly has been done for you... unless of course you can't live without SLI/Crossfire or Quad SLI aka Skulltrail. ;)

-mark

Jim M
03-27-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.cad2.com/workstations/dqx64.html

From 1700-00 uk pounds

AbnRanger
03-28-2008, 01:30 AM
There don't seem to be too many options for this.

The boards seem very expensive.

Anyone try this yet?Right now there is no true desktop solution (AMD did have have a board called 4x4 back when they hadn't yet released a true quad core...so you had 2 sockets to place 2 dual-cores...but it doesn't seem compatible with the new quad cores because they only worked for the FX model CPU's...nothing said about the Phenoms/Quad chips). Intel had come out with a dual socket, but it's so poorly implemented that on many tests the regular single quad machines outperformed it's dual quad setup. So, you pretty much have to go with workstation-class hardware...Xeons and Opterons and their cooresponding MB's, which are expensive indeed. But the plus side to that is the fact that with the recent CPU price wars, even server/workstation chips are quite a bit cheaper...which helps to offset the expensive MB's.

AbnRanger
03-28-2008, 01:36 AM

-markThen you get all the headaches of having to wait for MAC versions of software when everybody else has the new toys in hand...kind of like seeing your siblings open their Christmas presents, and your folks telling you maybe you can open yours in the summer. But not to worry, you can just go to your room and play with the Operating System you got last summer. :D

Always a good selling point for MAC's

Haven1000
03-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Then you get all the headaches of having to wait for MAC versions of software when everybody else has the new toys in hand...kind of like seeing your siblings open their Christmas presents, and your folks telling you maybe you can open yours in the summer. But not to worry, you can just go to your room and play with the Operating System you got last summer. :D

If only Apple Mac's could boot natively into Windows ;)

RedBull
03-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Apart from the workstation motherboards, which you are limited to a few brands of motherboard, and expensive ECC ram, but they are cheaper than Mac Pro's still.

The other choice is the newer Skulltrail which is a Dual Socket, and has 4 PCIx16 slots.... The boards over here are expensive and they require FB-DIMM (like macs) but it's still worth it if your looking at 8cores, and let's fact it, who isn't!
However i bet over here a MacPro is actually cheaper...

Over here a Skulltrail and 4Gb would set you back around $1500 AUD.
But the CPU's are being ripped with QX9775's going for 2K each....
MacPro is much better priced, which is kind of amazing.

Wrap
03-28-2008, 09:11 AM
I built one out of plasticine but it didn't work when I tried to plug it in.

avkills
03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Then you get all the headaches of having to wait for MAC versions of software when everybody else has the new toys in hand...kind of like seeing your siblings open their Christmas presents, and your folks telling you maybe you can open yours in the summer. But not to worry, you can just go to your room and play with the Operating System you got last summer. :D

Well I do like the fact that my Apple Macintosh (MacBook Pro) has been the most stable Windows platform I've used.

-mark

Samus
03-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi, I got myself a 8 Core System for about 1500?.A very good investment when you know that you can tackle the price quickly with your work.

I got Myself a Dual quad core Xeon 5335 2Ghz
With 2Ghz FB-DIMM memory
ASUS DSBV-D 2X Socket LGA 771 Chipset Intel? 5000V Mobo
and a simple Saffire ATI 1650 .

but if you do not want to pay to much a Qx6600 sytem is the way to go .
In my case all i have to do is get the latest Xeon when cash permits.

Cheers!

tayotain2
03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I have

2x quad xeon e5345 2.3ghz
6 gigs ram fb-dimm
DSBV-D mobo
nvidia quaddro fx570

Its been working well. Only problem i had was bios update.
new bios didnt work with fx570.

Paul Brunson
03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I just finished building one for a friend, the build went quick with no problems. I purchased all of the hardware from Newegg. I stress tested the system using SiSoft Sandra for a day and 48 hours of RAM testing. Seems rock solid.

Basic Specs:

CPU's: 2 x Intel Xeon 3.0 ghz Quad-Core (E5450)
Motherboard: Supermicro x7dwa-n
RAM: 16 GB of Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667
Graphics: EVGA 8800 GTS 512 MB 256-bit GDDR3
Power: PC Power & Cooling S75QB EPS12V 750W Power Supply
Case: XCLIO Wind Tunnel ADVANCED
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Raptor 150 GB 10,000 RPM SATA 1.5 GB's
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar 500 GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0 GB's
DVD Burner: Lite-ON 20x DVD+-R SATA

Overall the price tag on this thing was about $4700. It could have been $4200 if I hadn't used 4 gig Ram sticks, but my friend wanted the option to expand to 32 gigs of RAM if needed.

After many years of building workstations for myself and friends I've found that I prefer Supermicro boards over other brands like Tyan and Asus. Granted I don't just blindly pick a board just because it has the features I want. I always look at reviews and do research on my motherboard when building a system. So far I'm very please with the x7dwa-n, has good features , boots quickly and is running very solid.

I chose the CPU's for the 45 nm manufacturing and lower thermal rating of 80 watts. I couldn't find any evidence that the 120 w versions were performing that much better and power efficiency is "in" these days.

The XClio case is not from a well known dealer but I simply love this case. It's a monster in size but its two 25 cm fans keep my equipment a good 15 degree's cooler than my previous cases. My CPU's stay in the 30's celsius range. Also because the fans are large you only hear the sound of moving air. No whiny fans for this machine.

I chose the PC power and cooling Power supply for its high power single-rail. After having power trouble on systems with multiple rails, splitting to multiple rails just seems to make it more likely you might overload one of the rails. I prefer the simplicity of a single more powerful rail for the whole system. I was also looking for high power efficiency.

The EVGA 8800 GTS 512 MB from looking at specs on NVIDIA and reviewing Toms hardware indicated this was one of the faster Geforce cards. I'm questioning if it might have been worth springing for an ultra with more RAM on card (768 mb). Quadro cards were too pricey and I have yet to see some one provide some definitive evidence that they accelerate lightwave enough to justify their 8 times more expensive price tag.

The WD raptor drive is being used as the system drive because I've found I notice systems are a little snappier when they have a 10,000 RPM (faster seek time) drive for the system.

avkills
03-28-2008, 12:00 PM
... a beast of a system...

Wow, that is sure one nice rig. I'll bet it just screams through the rendering.

One of these days soon I'll probably pick up a 8-core machine, but it will probably be a couple of years and by then they'll be up to 16. :D

-mark

monovich
03-28-2008, 12:19 PM
I just had the agonizing decision of wether or not to build an 8 core or a 4 core. I wanted the 8 because of speed and the 8 core mobos can do more ram than a quad core mobo. In the end, though, the expense to jump to 8 cores was pretty crazy, so I held off and built a 4 core upgrade with 8 gig of ram for about $800 (+ a gutted existing workstation). Had I got the 8 core, it would have been almost triple that to build it myself.

I have to say, the mac 8 core probably is very close cheaper than building your own, provided you get your ram and HDDs from someone besides apple. Plus you get a fancy case with great engineering, you don't have to worry about cooling, fans, power supplies, etc, it just works out of the box, so you don't have to spend a day building it. Just use bootcamp, boot XP, and don't use the mac part of it if you don't want to. I may be wrong, but if you use it as a PC you may also be able to toss in any video card you want if you don't like the Apple offerings.

my .2c

p.s. the speed increase from AMD X2 to the Q6600 was enough to make me quite happy... for now.

Mitja
03-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Wow, these are mosters!
Anyways, where do you guys buy these toys? And is there a way to ship all this stuff over here in Italy?

Paul Brunson
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I've thought about playing with the MAC system but I kind of enjoy sitting down and getting into the nuts and bolts of a system. I usually a month researching a system before I build it. Just an hour or so every couple day reading reviews, checking out different peoples opinions on the individual components etc. Its a chance to "nerd out". :D

The other reasons I don't buy macs is a personal one. As impressive as their OS is, their looks and quality etc. I admit they seem to be a superior machine in many ways.

I Just can't stand the attitude of some Mac users. No offense intended to Mac users here, I find mac users here to be the exception to the rule. I have met some great Mac people and I admit I've probably just had bad luck running across the wrong users.

...But if I run into one more Mac user who thinks that he's more intelligent, better looking, has a better girlfriend, house, car, dog, refrigerator, cupholder, ink pen etc just because he has a mac I'll probably break his nose, then use a taser on his perfect little computer's power supply.

One example, i have a good friend, a brilliant programmer and great artist. His MAC using graphics arts professor at college told him that working on PC's had rotted his brain and robbed him of any creative talent and promptly looked for as many reasons as possible to belittle him in class because he was a programmer on a PC. (FYI: the professor did not treat him like this until he found out he used PC's and knew how to program)

robk
03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
why not just wait for the 6 core chips

http://gizmodo.com/360476/intels-6+core-nehalem-and-xeon-dunnington-processors-leaked

BigHache
03-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Paul,

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a Mac user hands-down, but I just built a PC solely for LW because I felt it was the best solution for LW, for me at this time. It hasn't disappointed me either. :)

rakker16mm
03-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Paul Brunson,

Why let the attitude of a few bad apples ( sorry ) drive your choice of computers? There are some PC folk who can be pretty chauvinistic as well but I wouldn't let that stop me from using a PC.

Jim M
03-29-2008, 09:21 AM
People often have an agenda when it comes to these things.
(PCs are better)

:)

rakker16mm
03-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Agenda yes, I know what you mean. I was just reading another post on this forum about how this man's daughter is having her grades marked down because she is doing her homework on a Mac.

Funny, I remember when we weren't even allowed to bring a calculator to school. Now you not only have to have a computer it has to be the right brand.

monovich
03-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Just got mine up and running. I can't believe how easy it was to OC! I feel like a thief. :devil:

http://www.monovich.com/OC.JPG

Samus
03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi Again before you choose if it's a quad or 8 core sytem Check
Vertex monkey benchmark, it'll help if you want a balance idea
on power/Core sytem.

http://www.vertexmonkey.com/benchmark_scene_301_8Spheres.php