PDA

View Full Version : My New Mac Pro to

scarabrae
03-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Got my first ever Mac today, an 8 core 2.8 with nvidia 8800GT. Only just got it set up and thought I'd give LW a go.

However, I am repeatedly being asked to enter my License to get out of discovery mode. I'm informed it is stored correctly, but as I have said I am asked to re enter each time.

I have simply downloaded the UB from my download section at Newtek. On the PC I would load the sentinel drivers at some point. Am I missing something on the Mac? Don't know why I was not asked to set them up, dont know if they are needed?? I do have my duo dongle in a usb socket.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I am so impressed with this keyboard...can't wait to see how my scenes render with these eight cores :D

brian.coates
03-28-2008, 02:49 AM
Welcome to the Apple family brother. :D

With the UB version of LW the dongle driver is part of the LW install, it doesn't really have anything to do with the system. You could try moving the dongle to another USB port and see if that makes a difference.

How exactly are you entering the license number? If Layout isn't offering any joy you can try doing it manually:

- create a plain text document with your application of choice.
- enter your license number on the first line, making sure there's no spaces before or after and no line return after.
- save the document as license.key.
- put the file in your user directory under [username]/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/license.key

Hopefully that should work.

meshpig
03-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Indeed, welcome to the fold.

Simple question might be:- you installed mac 9.2 from the disc and got the permanent key?... when you go to dl OB does the site auto-gen a new serial number and thus a new temporary key for the OB? Just checking.

It should work from the pop up in Layout but maybe you've got the wrong key?

-Also there are some other arrangements for the duo-dongle I seem to recall which affect what key is generated. Look in the mac OB section, I can't remember.

m

brian.coates
03-28-2008, 04:27 AM
Yeah, I forgot that LW uses different license numbers depending on your platform.

If you're using your old Windows license number you'll need to re-register for Macintosh.

scarabrae
03-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the welcome and your help guys. :)

I have being using the license number for Windows, will register my UB version, see how I get on and get back to this thread, again thanks for the welcome....

scarabrae
03-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Registered my Mac version and I'm good to go....cheers

meshpig
03-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Cool! Remember that RAM gets awfully cheap for macs about 12 months down the version track so get 4 now and fill the other slots later.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/

-Brian, what's up? Getting cold down south? You just changed your avatar to summer green.

m:)

scarabrae
03-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Some more ram is next on the list, cheers for the link

brian.coates
03-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Brian, what's up? Getting cold down south? You just changed your avatar to summer green.
Put it this way, I'm definitely not in the tropics. :thumbsdow

RonGC
03-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Ram prices here in Canada are 2 gig sticks at $120 each, pretty cheap now. I just updated all my mac computers to max ram.

Ron