PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9 Signature Courseware from 3DGarage

joeldberry
03-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Does anyone have this? If so, could you tell me, does Dan teach from 9.0 or 9.2 in this video series?

You know, a lot changed from 9.0 to 9.2, and then even more from 9.2 to 9.3.

Sure the fundamentals are the same, but Newtek moved a lot of stuff around in the dialog boxes from here to there, etc.

Not that it was a bad change, but I don't want to go through hours and hours of training where I am constantly "hunting" what the trainer is telling me to use...

Anyone have these DVDs? Any comments?

Thanks,

jdb

SplineGod
03-27-2008, 06:37 PM
It depends on whether youre more interested in learning the interface (which doesnt take that long IMO) vs learning the tools and techniques presented (which are applicable at anytime).

joeldberry
03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
It depends on whether youre more interested in learning the interface (which doesnt take that long IMO) vs learning the tools and techniques presented (which are applicable at anytime).

Tools and Techniques would be a higher priority...

IMI
03-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Dan shows all kinds of tools and techniques in those videos. I bought it and never regretted it. The projects are pretty cool, and you learn a whole lot along the way.
Best thing you could do though is to simply email Dan himself with your questions and concerns. He will definitely reply, probably fairly quickly. I've gotten emails back from him sometimes after only a few minutes.

SplineGod
03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Its one of those things where you have to pick and choose your battles with this training... do you redo it all for some small changes or provide an addendum or a place to post questions. I have support forums for my materials and many times its easier for all concerned to address some of those issues in the support forums.
Many times Ill answer some questions by posting up new videos which can explain things in greater detail then a post or email. :)

joeldberry
03-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Its one of those things where you have to pick and choose your battles with this training... do you redo it all for some small changes or provide an addendum or a place to post questions. I have support forums for my materials and many times its easier for all concerned to address some of those issues in the support forums.
Many times Ill answer some questions by posting up new videos which can explain things in greater detail then a post or email. :)

Oh, believe me... I understand what a pain in the rear it would be to go back and redo an entire series of training DVDs because of a few interface changes. I know you and Dan are very approachable, too, which we all appreciate...

I guess I am just trying to get an idea of how much the 3DGarage LW9 training DVDs might differ from what I am using (well, now 9.5 BETA!)...

Heck, I still have Dan's LW8 Intro DVD, and a couple of your spline DVDs for LW8, Larry... and they still have great value, of course, but since Lightwave has changed so much through the 8.x and 9.x cycle, sometimes I have to scratch my head and ask, "Now, where did Newtek move THAT setting to?!" :confused:

SplineGod
03-27-2008, 10:51 PM
I know what you mean. Sometimes I scratch my head and wonder why some of the menu changes were made as well since there seems to be no apparent reason. :)

GandB
03-28-2008, 05:45 AM
I did a pretty decent review (at least IMO) awhile back, on Dan's series. You can find it here (links lead to images/results on our forum):

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71463&highlight=Dan+Ablan

-Keith

RollerJesus
03-28-2008, 08:29 AM
I recently switched to using the "Studio Production Style" for my interface and it pretty much screwed me in following many of the tutorials out there, but now when I can't find somehting I hit alt-F10 and use the search feature.

Nice little time-saver for me and allows me to work with my setup for the things that I do know where to find.

Verlon
03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
I have it.... it is based on LW9.

So it covers things like nodes, but not some of the new ones that come with 9.3.

Obviously, it doesn't cover new things for 9.5.

iojabba
03-28-2008, 09:31 AM
If you order it now, it comes with a third disc that is called "Whats new in 9.2". It covers the interface changes and such.

I have this series and a ton of Larry's videos. The Signature Courseware is good for starting out from scratch, but I found Larrys vids better for specific topics.

SplineGod
03-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks iojabba :)
The basics are easier to learn but then what to do after that?
so Ive geared much of my material towards techniques I actually use in production work.

As far as the interface goes I leave the standard tabs the way they are and add custom tabs after those. This still keeps me compatible with tutorials but also gives me the ability to customize as well.

joeldberry
03-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Let me pose the question this way: I have owned 8.x for a while, and "dabbled" in it, but I really want to learn and develop a solid foundation, so I can move on to the "cool" stuff...

So... I have purchased Inside Lightwave 9, but I just got it, and haven't gone through it yet. Dan says he based the book on 9.2, so that's comforting, in some manner.

Since I have this book, if I go through it, and the videos on the DVD-ROM, would the 3DGarage DVDs offer anything above and beyond what I might learn in the book? If I can gain the basics from the book, then I don't want to spend any more money than I have to...

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

jdb

Verlon
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
there are things I like about both learnign formats...

Sometimes it helps to see visually what the teacher is talking about.

That said, if you can MASTER the book Inside Lightwave 9, I would say the price of the 3D Garage Courseware could be better spent on other learning.

If nothing else, it would expose you to different instructors who may approach the problem differently than Dan, and in a way that is better for you. This is not meant as a slight to Mr. Ablan. His work is very useful (and I own both the book and the video...I just can't seem to memorize that book).

Its just there are several ways to solve the same problem. Some work better for me than others.

IMI
03-28-2008, 03:23 PM
The Inside LW v9 book is pretty thorough, but the LW v9 Courseware has far more detail.
I mean, really, you can't help but learn something from it, but I wouldn't want to to say, "Yes, you need the Courseware too." because the truth is, the book is an excellent starting point and anyone interested enough should be able to take it from there.
Myself, I have all Dan's books since Inside LW 7, plus the LW v9 Courseware, and his modo 203 book and Courseware. I just like his teaching style and enjoy watching the videos, although I wouldn't call having it all an essential thing.
You just have to figure in what's important to you, and if money is an issue in that.

The reality is, you can learn LW easily enough through just the LW documentation and the free videos by Larry, William Vaughn, Steve Warner, and many others, plus right here asking questions.
I wouldn't say I needed to buy all that stuff, but I learned from it nonetheless. I still pop in the DVD's from time to time and just sit back and watch and listen, and usually come away with something I hadn't noticed before, forgot about, or want to try out.
So like I said, you don't need to buy the Courseware, but if money isn't an issue, even knowing you'll get some redundant information, you'll probably still enjoy it and learn new stuff from it anyway if you do get it.

Having said all that, go through the inside LW v9 book since you already have it, then download and study all the free recent William Vaughn Videos (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html), and try out the techniques, then decide if you need or want more.

IMI
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Oh I wanted to add also, it's astonishing sometimes how some people around here will go way out of their way to help people through even the most difficult LW problems, or offer great advice on how to do something better.
This board here is probably the single best LW resource there is for someone wanting to learn.

iojabba
03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh I wanted to add also, it's astonishing sometimes how some people around here will go way out of their way to help people through even the most difficult LW problems, or offer great advice on how to do something better.
This board here is probably the single best LW resource there is for someone wanting to learn.

I have to agree. I don't ask a lot of questions here, but I read the boards a lot, and I have learned an increadible amount just reading the forums.

joeldberry
03-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Cool... Thanks, guys. I'll start with the Lightwave 9 book, and maybe by the time I am through it, Dan will have a new "What's new in 9.5" DVD... :D

GandB
03-28-2008, 09:17 PM
He did mention something about new training for LW this year.

joeldberry
03-28-2008, 09:20 PM

Sweet...

IMI
03-28-2008, 09:38 PM

Yeah, that's right, he did. I had forgotten about that. Cool. :)