PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Newbie

wulfie
03-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I just got a new MacBook Pro Laptop (running Leopard) after leaving the Mac world (since OS 9.1).So I think I am coming from a long way off and have somewhat of a Mac learning curve here:)

Questions:

1) Is it better to run Lightwave under Windows or as a native Mac app?
2) Are either of them capable of 64 bit?
3) Do I need a new dongle?

Any help here will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time!

Phil
03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
The only 64 bit version of LW that is currently available is for Windows. I'm not sure if 64 bit Windows can be set up on a MacBook Pro, though. Apple only supplies 64-bit drivers for the Mac Pro as part of the BootCamp system.

LW 9.3.1 UB is the only native release version of LW for Intel Mac. It is also the only one that will be supported by vendors and NewTek for use under OS X on your Intel Mac. It has a number of rough edges, though. The 9.5 beta brings various improvements, but you'll need to join the Open Beta for more information, and put up with any bugs or other issues it might have.

For now, with the release version of LW, Windows is the best place to be. It is simply faster when using the application. Render times between UB LW and Win32 are within 10%, so that's less of a concern - it's more about application usability and responsiveness.

No new dongle needed if you already have a USB dongle (either the Duo (purple) or the new red/black one). If you have an ADB or Parallel port dongle, you'll need to contact customer services for a dongle exchange - the UB LW release doesn't support the old dongles AFAIK.

Hope that helps.

wulfie
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
That was helpful! Leaves me in a bit of a quandry though. Will have to purchase a Windows OS for this computer to run Windows apps. Already called Customer support....they were quite definite about running UB being the best thing and gave me a new license key number already. (Don't suppose I have to use it do I?) I can call back and say uhuh. I decided to run it as Windows and use the license key for the old PC computer that I had which was running LW.

Guess the question is, How bad is the UB? I will be using this computer for teaching a very very beginning Lightwave class in Middle School. And will I muck up the works if I try the UB and if that doesn't work.....go to the Windows solution?

tribbles
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I use UB all the time - I don't even worry about running Windows on my main machine (MacPro).

My MacBook Pro does have Windows, but I'm sticking to UB - while there are plenty of worthwhile plugins available, I haven't really needed any Windows specific ones yet.

wulfie
03-27-2008, 04:35 PM
That is comforting Tribbles.....I may go with the UB just to save a few dollars. Not to mention the fact that I am sick of Windows.

Incidentally your signature about how fast things are outdated is hilarious.....and too true.

kilvano
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I switched to a MacBook Pro about 3 months back. Some things are different but i havent needed Windows for anything. Some plugins dont work but none of the important ones.

The UB will eventually work in 64-bit i think at some point in this cycle. Cant rmember the exact words Chilton said but something along those lines

bethel
03-27-2008, 06:58 PM
That was helpful! Leaves me in a bit of a quandry though. Will have to purchase a Windows OS for this computer to run Windows apps. Already called Customer support....they were quite definite about running UB being the best thing and gave me a new license key number already. (Don't suppose I have to use it do I?) I can call back and say uhuh. I decided to run it as Windows and use the license key for the old PC computer that I had which was running LW.

Guess the question is, How bad is the UB? I will be using this computer for teaching a very very beginning Lightwave class in Middle School. And will I muck up the works if I try the UB and if that doesn't work.....go to the Windows solution?

I use a MacBook with LW 9.3.1 UB and its been doing fine. I teach high school animation. In the lab, we are still using G4s and G5s, with the native LW 9.3.1. But, we will be switching to the intel Mac next year (Leopard, I think). Do you teach in a lab and if so, what OS are your students using and have you experienced any bugs? Thanks

Chilton
03-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Join the Open Beta program. That's all I'm gonna say about that :devil:

-Chilton

wulfie
03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I will indeed stick to the UB. Chilton I am so glad things are being developed for the Mac! Thank you!

Bethel.....I will be working in a lab. Too soon to tell about bugs....I start work in April. Got the laptop so I wouldn't have to haul so much stuff around. My students will be using Dells and Windows XP Home edition. This will be in the public schools. So Bugs? I'm expecting tarantulas. I will be lucky if I can put in a CD and get it back out again. Do you have to maintain all those computers?

Kilvano....I drool at the thought of 64 bit...and I am betting you are right. It's right around the corner.

kilvano
03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
oops...did i break NDA?

Phil
03-28-2008, 12:00 AM
If you run 9.3.1 UB, run without the Hub. Life will be a lot less painful. You will have to tolerate the sluggish UI, though.

bethel
03-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I will indeed stick to the UB. Chilton I am so glad things are being developed for the Mac! Thank you!

Bethel.....I will be working in a lab. Too soon to tell about bugs....I start work in April. Got the laptop so I wouldn't have to haul so much stuff around. My students will be using Dells and Windows XP Home edition. This will be in the public schools. So Bugs? I'm expecting tarantulas. I will be lucky if I can put in a CD and get it back out again. Do you have to maintain all those computers?

Kilvano....I drool at the thought of 64 bit...and I am betting you are right. It's right around the corner.

Yes, somewhat, we have a tech person who writes the image and who fixed hardware issues. But I basically have to do the troubleshooting myself. Its exciting that they are introducing this in middle school. I am only taking students from 10th grade and up and the class is a dual-enrollment class, whereby they can earn 4 college credits upon completion. Good luck to you. It will work out fine!

tribbles
03-28-2008, 05:43 PM
That is comforting Tribbles.....I may go with the UB just to save a few dollars. Not to mention the fact that I am sick of Windows.

Incidentally your signature about how fast things are outdated is hilarious.....and too true.

Yes - annoyingly both of them I ordered over the weekend, and they announced the new ones the next Tuesday.

However, I was fairly lucky in that both of them were minor updates.

With the MacPro, it was just before the first 8-core was released, so I had a 3GHz 4-core. The price didn't alter by that much ($100?) for the same spec - and I'd bought a refurbished one, which was ~$700 cheaper - so I didn't lose out by that much.

With the MacBook Pro, it was the last update - 2.4GHz -> 2.5GHz, and the multi-touch gesture pad. Neither of which are absolutely essential. And that was a refurbished one too.

I'm still happy with both of them; I'll probably upgrade the MacPro after the next update though :)

LW_Will
03-29-2008, 02:48 AM
wulfie,

To answer your questions;

1) Is it better to run Lightwave under Windows or as a native Mac app?

The UB for Lightwave is getting better and better. I'd say the one thing you need is a wheel mouse. I have a bluetooth wheel mouse... and it works flawlessly.

2) Are either of them capable of 64 bit?

Okay, as I've said before, the current version of the app IS the 64 bit version, as is OS X 10.5.2. See? This is the beauty part of the Mac.

3) Do I need a new dongle?

Yeah, you do. ;-)