PDA

View Full Version : need a node primer, I assume it's basic...

jasond
03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a cube and I'd like to make each side a different color, but all the same surface.

I think it would have to do with normals and vectors but I'm not finding getting even step 1 on this simple thing.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jason

dpont
03-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Basically a color is a vector but positive and clamped (0<->1)
a normal is a pure vector each channel is negative or positive and clamped (-1<->1)
so for random colors on each face of a cube,
ouput a smoothed normal vector in Spot node, add 1 (0<->2),
divide by 2 (0<->1), use Math Vector nodes for this,
then you can vary the color result by
an input in the Color Tool and tweak the "Hue" parameter.

Denis.

jasond
03-27-2008, 01:59 PM
You're a great asset around here!

Jason

JBT27
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I really hope someone writes, or better, is writing, a defintive guide to nodes in LW, with all this kind of info and general maths procedures we need to be aware of and understand to make full use of them.

I don't know if there are fuller LW docs available now - the download page suggests not, and anyway as of looking this afternoon all the links were broken. But my last docs are woefully incomplete on nodes - Item Info isn't there, and Vector Scalar does not have a section describing what each of the modes does.

For the average user, good official nodal surfacing docs from NT are essential, alongside some serious third-party stuff. This is a big step-up in surfacing and it needs the support so everyone has a good chance of understanding what, when and why to use them.

Julian.