PDA

View Full Version : Oh My God, What Did I Do?

Tony3d
03-27-2008, 04:53 AM
I have a g5 dual 2.7 gig machine, which has been running 9.3.1 great! I decided to order an 8 core 2.8 Mac Pro. Now I have been reading all these horror stories about the stability of this setup. Am I in for a major disappointment or what? I ordered it with the stock video card, and 4 gigs of ram. Please tell me I didn't just make a $3400.00 mistake!

meshpig
03-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Horror stories are usually just that. Which stability issues do you mean?

m

Tony3d
03-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Horror stories are usually just that. Which stability issues do you mean?

m

Everything from band saw pro to smooth shift crashing modeler. What issues have you had it?

Steph
03-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi Tony

I have bought the same machine as the one you'll got and I can say that the 9.3.1 UB version is usuable (for me at least) althought some ocassionaly crash and some annoying bugs
And I'm not doing character's animation, so I can says nothing about tools for rigging and animating.

Bandsaw pro and smooth shift are OK for me.

meshpig
03-28-2008, 02:17 AM
Um, haven't you got 9.5 Universal yet?

Remember these are still Beta and you are participating in order to see how it goes.

m

eblu
03-28-2008, 05:42 AM
tony,
in my exp. the crashes have nothing to do with whether or not the mac is an Intel machine or has 8 cores.
your G5 is running ok, then generally you already avoid most of the bugs auto-magically. your experience with the 8Core "should" be similar... unless of course random chance deals you a strong blow. Sometimes LW just gets flakey for no reason at all.

eblu
03-28-2008, 05:49 AM
dup

Tony3d
03-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I quess I'll just have to wait and find out. The new machine should be here next week. I know the ppc version of 9.3.1 runs very well on my current G5. Every now and then I'll have a crash, but their far and few in between. As far as the 2.8 machine goes, how are people liking it?

Giacomo99
03-28-2008, 06:08 AM
For whatever it's worth, my new Mac Pro is running Lightwave just fine.

The only persistent problem is that I can't save anything to the Preset list, which is annoying but non-fatal.

Matt
03-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Make sure you kill the hub!

meshpig
03-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Make sure you kill the hub!

The hub is actually pretty snappy in the 9.5 OB even without some of the path finding get up.

Personally, I think killing the hub is less useful than treating it with kid gloves.

Giacomo99
03-28-2008, 08:11 AM
As it happens, I've been doing a lot of character work this week--tweaking weight maps and testing the joint, back and forth a lot between Modeler and Layout. Until Lightwave gets some kind of capacity for working with bones and weightmaps in the same environment, killing the Hub is simply not going to be an option for many users--specifically, anyone doing character rigging.

Scazzino
03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Am I in for a major disappointment or what?

Or what! :thumbsup:

My 8-core 3GHz (first rev) has been virtually bullet proof. It's the most stable and powerful Mac I've ever owned, and I've been a Mac user since the original 128K Macintosh. It runs for months and months non-stop. It can render animation faster, all by itself, than my old Mac G4/G5 render farm...

Sure there are some LightWave UB teething issues, but that has nothing to do with this 8-core Mac beast... they are just LWUB issues, that I'm sure will be sorted out as time goes on...

These 8-core Macs REALLY ROCK! :rock:

Tony3d
03-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Or what! :thumbsup:

My 8-core 3GHz (first rev) has been virtually bullet proof. It's the most stable and powerful Mac I've ever owned, and I've been a Mac user since the original 128K Macintosh. It runs for months and months non-stop. It can render animation faster, all by itself, than my old Mac G4/G5 render farm...

Sure there are some LightWave UB teething issues, but that has nothing to do with this 8-core Mac beast... they are just LWUB issues, that I'm sure will be sorted out as time goes on...

These 8-core Macs REALLY ROCK! :rock:

My 2.8 gig should ship April 2! Can't wait as I'm coming from a Dual 2.7 gig machine.

Scazzino
03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
My 2.8 gig should ship April 2! Can't wait as I'm coming from a Dual 2.7 gig machine.

You should see a nice boost in power, but not as much of an increase as I did. I went from a dual 2GHz G5 (original rev) to an 8-core 3GHz Mac Pro (original rev) and even under Rosetta it blew away my expectations (I was expecting poor performance under Rosetta but it still rendered about six times faster than the good ol' G5)... under UB it really screams! The 3GHz 8-core recently rendered an animation in 30 hrs that took two weeks on the 2GHz 2x G5...

:D