PDA

View Full Version : How to utilize more of my CPU for renders

GregMalick
03-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Basic question.

I have a new Q6600 but I'm noticing my renders aren't utilizing more than 26% CPU. Vista Resource Monitor shows LW using about 25% with 8 threads. About 71% Physical memory is used (about 2.14 GB).

What can I do to utilize more of my CPU and get faster renders?

RedBull
03-27-2008, 02:14 AM
Basic question.

I have a new Q6600 but I'm noticing my renders aren't utilizing more than 26% CPU. Vista Resource Monitor shows LW using about 25% with 8 threads. About 71% Physical memory is used (about 2.14 GB).

What can I do to utilize more of my CPU and get faster renders?

Are you using areas of LW that are actually multithreaded, and also remember to use perspective as it's usually better at MT. I only have my Q6600 to 4 threads and it hits max on most renders...

GregMalick
03-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Now I'm trying the sample Glass scene (chess pawns) and it's at 75% and 13 threads.

Opps - now it's dropped to 25% 9 threads.

This scene uses the classic camera.

iconoclasty
03-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Have you tried turning up LW's priority in the task manager?

Lightwolf
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
This scene uses the classic camera.
Avoid that like the plague if you want decent multi-threading. And 4 threads is all you need in LW on a Q6600...

Cheers,
Mike

Steamthrower
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Avoid that like the plague if you want decent multi-threading. And 4 threads is all you need in LW on a Q6600...

Cheers,
Mike

I've observed that classic is definitely slower than others when multi-threading; which camera is fastest? I tend to use Box or Laszlo the most...

Lightwolf
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
...which camera is fastest? I tend to use Box or Laszlo the most...
Erm, those aren't cameras but AA filters...
For the Cameras... pick what you need. Perspective is identical to Classic, except for the fact that is uses raytracing for everything (Classic doesn't) - which allows it to scale better using multiple threads.
Use the other if you need the special functionality they provide only.

Cheers,
Mike

ary3d
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
one thing I notice with the classic camera is for example when the antialias take place and if you have 2 core and 2 treads set in LW the escene will be split in half and if one core finish the task, the other tread of lightwave do not divide the render in two treads more, so you will have a useless core, this is only with the classic camera

greetings, David

Steamthrower
03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Erm, those aren't cameras but AA filters...

Okay. I was looking at the completely wrong thread and "classic" was stuck in my head. Embarrassing. I only had a half cup of coffee this morning.

Back to my job. Sheesh. Thanks.

Lightwolf
03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
I only had a half cup of coffee this morning.
That's clearly not enough... don't post before you had at least two ;) (I try not to as well :) )

Cheers,
Mike :caffeine:

GregMalick
03-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Cheers,
Mike

Since this is my first multi-core processor (I'm embarrassed about the snail I was using before) you'll have to bear with me on these multi-core issues (never paid attention to previous multi-core discussions):

How do i set LW use to 4 threads?
How can I give LW top priority in Vista?
Come to think of it, when rendering, how can I give Norten Virus the lowest priority among other suck-up-my-computer waste-ware products?

Lightwolf
03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
How do i set LW use to 4 threads?
Come to think of it, when rendering, how can I give Norten Virus the lowest priority among other suck-up-my-computer waste-ware products?
1) Render Globals, the Render tab
2) There really is no need to, it won't buy you much
3) Uninstall it and never touch it again. Get Avast instead ;) Other than that it shouldn't really use a lot of CPU power.

Cheers,
Mike

GregMalick
03-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Mike,

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Jim M
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Sometimes setting 16 threads on an 8 core machine will increase speed. Sometimes the opposite. We are talking like 2% so its hardly worth it.

Sensei
03-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Try our's Render Optimizer
http://www.trueart.eu/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/RenderOptimizer

GregMalick
03-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Sensei,

That looks like a really great plugin.
I'll try it tonight.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Sensei
03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Personally I am using it all the time with 'Lower' setting. Therefore I can use machine without visible slowdowns during rendering (cost slower rendering of course). You want exactly reverse. You NEED to use anything else than Classic Camera though..

toby
03-29-2008, 01:00 AM
If you need to use the Classic camera, set the threads to 8 or 16, even if you have you have fewer than 4 cores. 8 threads on a dual proc is faster 95% of the time, because as mentioned, the Classic renderer does not re-divide the job when one proc finishes first.

And believe it or not, the Classic camera is still capable of the highest quality aa, higher than the persp cam. They really nailed it when they came out with that years ago. But that's out the window if you have to motion blur :^D

Sensei
03-29-2008, 02:34 PM
And believe it or not, the Classic camera is still capable of the highest quality aa, higher than the persp cam. They really nailed it when they came out with that years ago.

That's result of scan-line, instead of ray-tracing.. There is no missing skipped polygons..

virtualcomposer
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM
where do you find the "task manager" in LW9.31? I noticed 8 threads is fastest on my machine. Anyway above or below slows down. My RAM is still not being utilized like I want it. UGGG. I changed the Segment Memory to 500 and using 8 threads but still see 2.5 gigs of RAM still not being used.

Hopper
07-29-2008, 04:55 PM
For what it's worth...

I just finished tweaking my Q6600 and I don't think any render I've done so far has used anything less than 100% on all 4 cores. Granted everything has used only Classic or Perspective and all use radiosity of some sort.

I tried different thread settings and anything more than 4 doesn't really get you much (that I can tell). +/- a few seconds at most, even overclocked at 3.6GHz

Don't feel bad Greg - up until a couple of months ago I was using an old Dell 8200 series (1.9GHz single core) with 1GB RAM and a geForce T3 500 (128MB RAM) - ouch! Talk about painful. Yeah .. can you say "hobbiest" .. :)

Sensei
07-29-2008, 04:59 PM
where do you find the "task manager" in LW9.31?

Ctrl-Alt-Del Windows Task Manager...

My RAM is still not being utilized like I want it. UGGG. I changed the Segment Memory to 500 and using 8 threads but still see 2.5 gigs of RAM still not being used.

Isn't Segment Memory Limit only for framebuffer... ?

Hopper
07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Just a quick question to squash something I was thinking about ... Can you run ANY application and see more than one core being utilized? Intel had a batch (802 I think it was) that all the A and F cuts had defects, thus some of the cores failed shortly after installation.

Easiest way to find this is to go into BIOS and see if they are marked as "Disabled". If they are, and it does not allow you to enable them, your CPU may be at fault. (This setting should be under "CPU Configuration" if you are using Phoenix/AwardBIOS). Also make sure you disable "C1E Enhanced Halt State". Vista totally screwed the pooch on that one and does some superiorly crappy level detection on utilization (WinXP uses edge detection by default), thus rendering your CPU in "sleepy" mode for about 5 seconds more than it should when it's in idle mode.

So it was just a thought ... 1 more thing to check anyway.

toby
07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
where do you find the "task manager" in LW9.31? I noticed 8 threads is fastest on my machine. Anyway above or below slows down. My RAM is still not being utilized like I want it. UGGG. I changed the Segment Memory to 500 and using 8 threads but still see 2.5 gigs of RAM still not being used.
Segment Memory is not a higher-number-use-more control, it's a limit. It rarely goes above a couple hundred, except with huge renders. Setting it high enough to render in 1 segment, instead of it splitting into 2 or more, is all you need, and setting it higher won't make any difference.

As far as using all that ram, are you sure it needs it?