PDA

View Full Version : Physics type move tool for modeler

ttomw
03-26-2008, 05:55 PM
:help:Is there a tool or plugin that will move or rotate an object like the real world?

For example I have a steel I-beam object that I want to move/"lift" one end of to a new location without deforming the geometry of the object.

It would work something like Snap drag (set on all connected) except when I grab a point and move/lift etc. the other end would stay in contact with a plane or axis and just rotate accordingly acting like lifting one end of a board or steel beam in real world.

I know I can accomplish something similar by setting the action center cursor at the opposite end and just rotating, but for finetuned positioning of very long objects this can be very imprecise and troublesome. I also know I can do this by working with bones, but I'm not really building an animated object and that seems a little overkill.

Thanks

Matt
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
You could try www.flay.com, but I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Surrealist.
03-26-2008, 07:45 PM
There are a couple of other modeler solutions as well.

One is to set action center to pivot and place that pivot where you want it. Once the pivot is set you can rotate from that axis.

Another is so use the Translate Plus Tool. Keep in mind with this tool you can set it to any segment. So you could have a 2 point curve for example and use that. Or you can use a segment from the object. There are many other options for this tool and it is worth looking into I think.

ttomw
03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Matt, I have searched flay.com but as you expected didn't find anything that does quite what I describe.

Surrealist,
Your suggestions are excellent and both options ultimately accomplish the task. I saw and tried these same options after seeing your post in the simple rotation question thread. You really opened my eyes to Translate plus...excellent tool! :thumbsup::)

But I am still intrigued by what Dodgy described in that other thread about setting a pivot point and then "drag" ... I'm still curious what he meant maybe he was also referring to translate plus which allows that sort of rotation if not quite as direct as just "set a pivot point and drag" ?

Surrealist.
03-27-2008, 04:37 AM
Oh, OK, got it.

What thread was that with the drag example?

ttomw
03-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Oh, OK, got it.

What thread was that with the drag example?

"Very basic rotation Question" http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74471

Surrealist.
03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Yup. Down at the bottom of the modeler interface there's a modes button. Select the action centre there. Then use the Pivot tool to place the pivot where to want to rotate around and then drag.

He's talking about the Rotate tool. LMB drag when you are set to Action Center Pivot and the pivot is where you want it.