PDA

View Full Version : What’s the score with layers?

Nemo
07-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Hi there.
I am using the modeler in lightwave7 to build models for a game I am developing and I am still getting to grips with it.
I am now in the process of texturing the models for the first area or level of the game and was wondering if I can use the layers in the surface editor for this. I sort of get the impression that the layer settings are only visible when the model is rendered, which is not something I can use. If this is the case is there any other way to build up layers of detail that can be seen without rendering the model? If it isn’t the case does anyone know why I can only see the top image in the perspective view?

As always any comments on this will be much appreciated.

richpr
07-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Try playing with VIPER in Layout while tweaking textures...

Do a quick render, then activate VIPER, then go into the Surface Editor... Pick a surface, now look at the VIPER window...

brtk
07-18-2003, 09:34 PM
-----
I sort of get the impression that the layer settings are only visible when the model is rendered, which is not something I can use. If this is the case is there any other way to build up layers of detail that can be seen without rendering the model?
-----
If I get you right, you want to texture a model with different images/procedurals that are layered using maybe alpha channels, layer opacity and/or different blending modes and see the result in ogl window... What you have to do is to bake the textures using LW_baker. You may also want to check out MicroWave found at www.evasion3d.com which is an advanced "baker" that not only bakes textures/illumination but also geometry......