PDA

View Full Version : how can i put an image onto a box?

mickcoss
03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
hi am very new to lightwave, this question is giving my a sore head :compbeati

i have a cube with 6 sides. i have learnd to spin it, i want to be able to put images ie jpegs on the cube.
can this be done?
and if yes how

thanks again

mick

prospector
03-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Way #1. individually UV the sides and bottom and top, use texture panel to apply pics to sides thru the UV section.

Way #2. Completly UV box as 1 object and save the map with UV Imaginator.
Take map into Photoshop and cut and paste the picts onto map in new layers, delete the base map, save montage photo and Texture map in Layout as 1 full map.

Way #3. Name all sides different, then planer project pics to each surface.

mickcoss
03-26-2008, 11:30 AM
thank you prospector.

:thumbsup:

Hopper
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Here ya go. This should be exactly what you need step by step. Courtesy of William Vaughan.

Putting pictures on a box (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/lwbox.mov)

mickcoss
03-27-2008, 05:50 AM
hey guys. what would i do with out your help?.

thanks hopper

mr William is the man.

mickcoss
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
i was able to follow everything in the tutorial.
now i dont know what am doing wrong, when i open my object in layout, none of the pictures are on the box.

my aim is to render it as a quick time movie, with the box spinning and the picture on it.
can this be done?

thanks

Mick

tribbles
03-27-2008, 04:07 PM
When you say "none of the pictures are on the box", is this when you render it, or when you've just loaded it and are looking at it in the Layout's window?

If it's in Layout's window, then you need to make sure you've enabled OpenGL Textures ("d" -> OpenGL -> OpenGL Textures)

If it's during rendering - only thing I can think of is if the render mode is not realistic (but it's not an option I've played with).

mickcoss
03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
when i load object from modeler to layout i loose the pictures, ji layout i see only the box in layout.

Weetos
03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Switch to the camera view, make sure your object is visible (if it doesn't move the camera accordingly) then do a render (press F9) and tell us what you see

Hopper
03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Mick, I sent you a PM, but this is basically it -

Once you have mapped them in Modeler, you will probably not see the textures in Layout by default. You need to go into your Display Options under the OpenGL tab and make sure that OpenGL Textures is set to "on". You may only see the textures in your camera view though.

Now if you are rendering the box and they do not show up, that would be another issue. If this is the case, did you put your box into Layout by saving in Modeler and using the "Send To Layout" option or did you simply open Layout, then load the model seperately? If the latter, make sure that your project is finding the images in the right directory. (It usually tells you if it can't find a part of your model or anything else that is part of the scene).

See image below.

mickcoss
03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
thanks hopper got PM

thanks lads for helping me here, ha my head hurts, iv only started this cousre, be a few late nights at computer.
i'll hve a go at that info.
ill let ya's know how i get on.

Thanks

Mick

mickcoss
03-27-2008, 06:30 PM
thanks everone

i got it to work yeah!!!! :D

really thank you for all for your help

Mick

:thumbsup: