PDA

View Full Version : Edge sharpness does not work on Catmull Clark objects

antwik-2
03-26-2008, 10:12 AM
I guess you also know the problem with having a sub div model in Catmull Clark mode, adjust edge sharpness on it and then add more segments (edges/polygons) with knife tool or bendsaw then all the polygons you adjusted the sharpness on fall off..

I wonder is this a bug or just something that havent been solved yet in lightwave?

Nicolas Jordan
03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
It's a major problem that needs to be corrected. I don't really think it's a bug in the sense that the dev team didn't know about these problems when they implemented Catmull Clark Subdivs. Even if you mirror an edge weighted object it really messes it up. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed soon since it almost defeats the purpose of having edge weights in the first place. Work flow is restricted in such a way that you can't do you edge weighting until you are done modeling. I really wish they would finish implementing things properly before moving on to other stuff. I am hoping that there is a reason they haven't finished implementing it. :thumbsdow

antwik-2
03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
ok thanks for letting me know, looks like I have to choose between using catmull or using edge sharpening then whe they don't work together. I guess the dev team is aware of this.

Sensei
03-26-2008, 10:40 AM
After applying edge weighting you can cut it using EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.pl It's the only tool either built-in LW or 3rd party that doesn't break CC edge weighting. This functionality is presented on one of videos.

antwik-2
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
thanks for the hint sensei, im gonna check that out, but i think its a shame that lw have introduced CC and edge sharpness when they not working properly.

antwik-2
03-26-2008, 10:55 AM
and its a shame that you need to buy a additional plugin to get lightwave to work correctly, Why havent newtek implemented that tool?

Sensei
03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
They generally work, but all tools must be rewritten to support them, like our EasySplit. It's time consuming task. Using tool (which is adding/removing geometry, moving/scalling/rotating are all fine) not supporting edge weighting is just destroying edge weighting..

antwik-2
03-27-2008, 06:26 AM
you your right there, so Easy Split will work even if I have a CC object and made edge sharpness on it? Will I also be able to flip my object (miror it) with out getting my polygons messed up?

Sensei
03-27-2008, 06:49 AM
you your right there, so Easy Split will work even if I have a CC object and made edge sharpness on it?

Yes, any edge cutting, knifing or adding points using EasySplit works after applying CC edge weighting..

Will I also be able to flip my object (miror it) with out getting my polygons messed up?

No, because LW mirror tool does not support CC edge weighting.. However EasySplit supports symmetry, so just right before applying edge weighting first time, mirror it and switch symmetry on..

IgnusFast
02-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Sorry about this necropost, but it's INCREDIBLY disappointing that Lightwave Mirror STILL doesn't support CC edge weights... So lame!

hunter
01-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Sorry about this necropost, but it's INCREDIBLY disappointing that Lightwave Mirror STILL doesn't support CC edge weights... So lame!

Agreed.