PDA

View Full Version : Saving in V5 format (no texture)

boofus
07-18-2003, 07:50 PM
Using version 7.x I've tried to export an object into the OLD .LWO format.

Everything seems fine, but when I restart the modeler and load the version 5 object, all the textures are missing.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong or maybe don't understand the products limitations? I'm new to this tool.

Thanks

Boof

brtk
07-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Yes, lwo5 IS an old format and it doesnt for example support UVs, I doubt it does support procedurals, the only thing you get out to lwo5 is surfaces, anybody correct me ?

boofus
07-19-2003, 09:09 AM
HI:

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what a procedural is (compared to a UV map, which I KNOW the 5.x format did not support).

But I have a native 5.x object here (originally saved from version 5.x of the modeler) and it has texture info embedded in the SURF chunk. It is in the form of a fully qualified file name of a .tga file. If I load this 5.x object into V7 modeler, the textures show up just fine

But then I create an object (simple cube) in V7 of the modeler and apply textures (.tga files) to it, when exported to version 5 object the textures are lost. Saving this object as a normal V7 object and then reloading it back in works perfectly (textures appear).

It just appears to me that the version 5 object export does not work correctly.

Again, I thank you for your reply.

Boof

Aegis
07-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Tsh! You young whippersnappers with your UVs and your fancy vertex maps and your surface baking!

LightWave has supported procedurals since it was unbundled from the Amiga Video Toaster at v3.5 - I never used it before that so I guess LW may always have had procedural textures...

Anyway, standard mapping types (planar, cylindrical, cubic) should work fine for 5.0 export however...

I just tried making a cube, surfacing it with an image map and exporting it as a 5.0 object - when loaded into Layout it can't find the image map... curious... :confused:

boofus
07-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Aegis wrote:

I just tried making a cube, surfacing it with an image map and exporting it as a 5.0 object - when loaded into Layout it can't find the image map... curious...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about when you load it back into modeler itself???

When I do that, it doesn't complain about not being able to find the image map..... The textured surfaces just all show up black.

If yours actually complained about a missing file, then that file name was at least contained within the .lwo file (further than I've gotten).

I've looked in my exported 5.x object with a hex editor. The texture file names are not contained in there anywhere.....

Boof