PDA

View Full Version : Vue and Universal Binary

Tony3d
03-26-2008, 04:44 AM
Hi, I'm getting a new Mac Pro next week, and use Vue a lot. I have Vue 5 does this mean I have to upgrade to Version 6.5? I can't seem to find a U/B version of 5.

Phil
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
There is no UB version of Vue before 6.0. You'll have to upgrade. Vue still feels awfully slow though and I cannot convince myself that it was much slower under Rosetta. Xstream appears, from all accounts, to also be extremely buggy on Mac.

I'm seeing major threading corruption with the 6.60 update as well, so by and large I'm not very happy with the 6.0 upgrade (it will be the last time I upgrade Vue). Stick with 6.50 for the updates.

Tony3d
03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
There is no UB version of Vue before 6.0. You'll have to upgrade. Vue still feels awfully slow though and I cannot convince myself that it was much slower under Rosetta. Xstream appears, from all accounts, to also be extremely buggy on Mac.

I'm seeing major threading corruption with the 6.60 update as well, so by and large I'm not very happy with the 6.0 upgrade (it will be the last time I upgrade Vue). Stick with 6.50 for the updates.

Thanks for the info!

Steamthrower
03-27-2008, 07:23 AM

Phil, do you recommend any other landscape/terrain visualisation software similar to Vue?

Phil
03-27-2008, 07:32 AM
To be honest, I'm not aware of any other contender. Waaayyy back in the day, you had World Construction Set, Vista Pro, Vue and likely others. Seems like this is a genre that software developers struggle with.

Now, if one neglects the implementation issues (reliability, usability problems, slow renderer) and sees what the software offers in raw capability.....Vue is actually in a deserving position to hold the crown - I like much of what is there. Same goes for Ozone 3. The spit and polish is the problem.

If e-on would only sit down and decide to really comb through their software to deal with the major usability issues (material editor via double click on preview ball...wtf?!) and bugs (crashing is a way of life), they wouldn't get the beating that they do (and currently deserve). Without serious competition though (Terragen isn't even in the same country, let alone ball park), it's not that surprising that QA is left way down the list of priorities.