PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp 3.O insanely addictive

mbaldwin
07-18-2003, 07:26 PM
and fun. and useful.

for those of you unfamiliar, go to :

http://www.sketch3d.com/eval/

and download a full, unrestricted trial version(times out after 8 hours of session use).

I have incorporated this app into my modeling workflow. for environments, architecture, it's great to rough out in SketchUp and continue in LW modeler. There is so much useful, intuitive snapping without having to drop your tool, or think about it.

I recommend going through the online tutorials before jumping into your 8 hours to get the most of it. And it even costs less than G2--think of it as an advanced modeling plug-in.

conversion to LW exsists now as .3ds files--they will have .obj conversion in a few months.

try it out.

Earl
07-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Yeah, it is a pretty neat app. A co-worker of mine uses it. I especially like the cut-aways. :cool:

Cman
07-19-2003, 07:40 AM
yeah, it's real cool.
I sent a request email to NT to look into the edge snapping stuff - very nice.

mbaldwin
07-20-2003, 07:18 PM
there's a noticable jump in snapping intelligence between 2.0 and the new 3.0. It's like having a modeling buddy always ready to assist.

also, it's very nice to have instancing built into the modeling process(they're called components in SketchUp).

and you can right-click on a ploly edge and get an intuitive subdevide feature--move right and the more your seg is equally devided into smaller sections, move left for less.

quatermain
07-20-2003, 07:48 PM
there's a noticable jump in snapping intelligence between 2.0 and the new 3.0. It's like having a modeling buddy always ready to assist.

that's good to hear. i used v2 intensely for 2 months, but for personal use, it was too slow & chunky in its navigation, and when files got to be more than medium sized.