PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Pro

Tony3d
03-26-2008, 04:11 AM
Hi all, I'm going from a dual 2.7 gig G5 to a Mac pro dual quad 2.8. How well does the U/B version of Lightwave run on this machine with the stock ATI HD 2600xt video card? Any problems? I understand a hair solution is coming soon in 9.5.

dsol
03-26-2008, 05:29 AM
I've recently upgraded to similar system - Dual Quad 2.8Ghz MacPro, though I chose the nividia 8800GT upgrade. The UB version of LW is ridiculously fast on it. It's many times faster than my previous machine - a Quad G5 2.5 GHz - so compared to your dual proc 2.7 Ghz G5 it'll be nothing less than a revelation! :) LW isn't that constrained by (or isn't able to take advantage of) the graphics card - at least at the moment ayway. So you may not see a massive advantage going from the 2600xt to the 8800 in LW. I'd still recommend getting the faster GPU though as (A) Lightwave's OpenGL is improving, and (B) it's much cheaper/easier getting the faster card installed at the time you order it, rather than upgrading later. And, I suppose (C) many other apps ARE massively GPU dependent right now - FCP, Aperture, Motion, After Effects etc.

Tony3d
03-26-2008, 05:49 AM
I've recently upgraded to similar system - Dual Quad 2.8Ghz MacPro, though I chose the nividia 8800GT upgrade. The UB version of LW is ridiculously fast on it. It's many times faster than my previous machine - a Quad G5 2.5 GHz - so compared to your dual proc 2.7 Ghz G5 it'll be nothing less than a revelation! :) LW isn't that constrained by (or isn't able to take advantage of) the graphics card - at least at the moment ayway. So you may not see a massive advantage going from the 2600xt to the 8800 in LW. I'd still recommend getting the faster GPU though as (A) Lightwave's OpenGL is improving, and (B) it's much cheaper/easier getting the faster card installed at the time you order it, rather than upgrading later. And, I suppose (C) many other apps ARE massively GPU dependent right now - FCP, Aperture, Motion, After Effects etc.

Sound great! I can't wait to get a real work station. Lightwave 9.5 will have a hair solution for U/B version, have you seen any samples of it? How much longer before Mac 9.5 U/B version comes out?

Giacomo99
03-26-2008, 08:03 AM
The UB Open Beta for 9.5 is available now. One can download it if one signs up for the Open Beta program--search this forum for details.