PDA

View Full Version : Motion Builder 5!

meshmaster
07-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Go to http://www.kaydara.com/support and do a search for "upgrade" and you will get this in one of the pages that come up:
==============
As advertised, and to thank all those who have tried the free 1-year version of the MOTIONBUILDER Personal Edition, Kaydara would like to thank you by offering you a limited time option to upgrade to a PERMANENT license of MOTIONBUILDER 5 for only $200!!

This once in a lifetime offer is valid ONLY between August 1st and December 31st 2003. This means that you end up paying only $200USD for a permanent license of MOTIONBUILDER 5
==============

That's pretty cool since Suggested Retail Price for MOTIONBUILDER 5: US $995.

What's really freaky is that at the top of the page that I pulled that from is a Quantity 1 box with a price of USD $3495.00 listed.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR AUGUST!!!!

meshmaster
07-18-2003, 09:33 PM
how mb stacks up against Life Forms?

ackees
07-19-2003, 12:24 AM
No contest, MB leaves Lifeform dead. You can get a demo of lifeforms but it is not worth the bother. Lifeforms used to be a good app years ago but they failed to keep up with software technology, it has the feel of something designed many many years ago.
This is also a worry of mine with LW unless they update LW radically it will slide like Lifeforms. There has been a great shift in software design lately and MB is the form of the new kids on the block.

GCL
07-19-2003, 01:11 PM
That's for the MotionBuilder " Professional " version. Apparently,
the $995 or $200 when available is for the " Standard " version.

As I see it. Now we have to see what LW8 will offer so that either
MotionBuilder will be a good add-on or won't need because of new features in LW8. I guess we'll know some details next week !

What's really freaky is that at the top of the page that I pulled that from is a Quantity 1 box with a price of USD $3495.00 listed.

ackees
07-19-2003, 01:38 PM
Have you seen this?

http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Search/Index.cfm?BLAUTHOREXACT=y&BLKEEPCHECK=n&DATEAFTERPUB=&DATEBEFOREPUB=&FLTRATING=0&FUSEACTION=ProcessSmartSearch&INTFILETYPE_1=0&INTFILETYPE_2=0&INTFILETYPE_3=0&INTMAXPRICE=&INTMEDIATYPE=-1&INTMINPRICE=&INTRATINGCOUNT=0&INTSTARTROW=1&ISTEXCAUTHOR=&ISTEXCKEY=&ISTINCAUTHOR=Kaydara&ISTSEARCHKEY=&STGBOOLEAN=L&stgAD=15J244424E70641&stgOrderColumn=0&intSortOrder=0&blViewType=0&blViewTypeTip=y&intMaxResults=50

I downloaded some of these and tried them out, great stuff! It would take days of painful work to get these animations in LW alone. By having this standard rig it means users can swap motion files no matter what app they use, I think there is going to be some real forward momentum with MB, I cannot see any other app with tight secret codes being able to match this. maybe the future is some kind of open source like this in 3D, mix and match as it suits you.

Jimzip
07-21-2003, 07:26 AM
Wow, that's a whole library of movments..
Should be a preset shelf in LW for movements!!!

Jimzip :D

meshmaster
07-21-2003, 08:59 AM
just gotta figure out how to pay the $200.00 and still balance the checkbook... maybe if I don't buy anything from barnes and nobles (I'm a regular digit, 3d world and pcplus mag buyer) until next year - that'll get me (roughly $20x5=100.00) = then start eating ramen noodles instead of ordering pizza once a week ($10.00x4x5=roughly 200.00) = shouldn't be too hard!

:)

ackees
07-21-2003, 10:16 AM
The other thing I notice Kaydara playing with is drag and drop particle effects, I think these guys have a much bigger picture than just motion on their minds, with the user base they will gain from this clear generosity they will want to move on and take people with them. I am on the Mac and I notice they have made much better use of Mac hardware and OS than LW, I am not sure LW can get away with holding the Mac development back much longer, it is a much more crowded market place than it was a while ago. It is going to be really great when users start making their own fbx files available to others to use. NT could release a LW plugin, so no matter what app you use you can load the LW scene and go, this openness may be a future.