PDA

View Full Version : Would A Community College Course Be Possible?

scott tygett
07-18-2003, 05:12 PM
I seem to recall there was a fairly basic community college course in Los Angeles about a year ago. Does anybody know how that was handled? BYOLW?

Is there a way to make the demo version more functional for instruction?

(Does the instructor play "Imagine" before every class, to keep the students from feeling attached to their work?)

Community colleges want to be competitive with other institutions, and will invite instructors to make proposals. They'll even buy software sometimes, but when they have to buy three or four programs, I have to duck. I can't pitch relative merits among a half dozen programs. I would like to propose a class though (please no comments about how I couldn't animate a standing breeze).

I could create Scene files with duplicates of every character, for "roto-shadowing" and such, and with varying degrees of complexity, but morphs and animation -- have students start over every time? I am wondering if there aren't some other options?

It might be nice to have a class of subjects, er, pupils, to try out the latest version of 101 hard lessons. We aren't talking Secrets of the Masters, which I don't know any of. Just enough of the medium-advanced stuff to become a pale closet-bound nerd.

ned
07-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Using Discovery Edition (Demo version is not fun). We started a high school course last year and had only enough money to buy one seat of LW on the 6 new computers. We put demos on the other 5 machines and let the students learn modeling and basic animation but cautioned them to be frugal with complex models because of the 400 point restrictions and to not make elaborate scenes because DE doesn't save scenes.

As they became proficient with modeling we let them use the machine with full version for a few hours at a time to do their animations.

Now we have 18 machines and 6 full versions of LW. (The other machines have Premiere, Photoshop, and SoundForge because we teach video and animation in this classroom.)

Needless to say I'm looking forward to teaching with the students having access to full versions of LW this coming year.

Galaxy7
07-19-2003, 11:09 AM
There is a school in the San Fernando Valley that teaches LW7.5.
It is North Valley Occupation Center in Mission Hills.
The teacher does modeling, animation and Photoshop for textures. He also writes for Platinum Rose, a publishing company and I believe he has a new book in the works on Lightwave...8

stoehr
08-04-2003, 11:25 PM
I wish I could say I'm in your area, but I'm not.

There are two community colleges in Sacramento that teach 3D animation skills on Lightwave. One is my school, American River College, and the second is Sacramento City College; taught by Michael Cospers.

If you need help with something, just ask. :)

scott tygett
08-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the assistance.